Pre-match thread

BOF

Wednesday 21st April @ 20:15

Referee: Peter Bankes.
Assistants: Neil Davies, Harry Lennard. 
Fourth official: Anthony Taylor.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

This is Bankes' 3rd game in charge of us this season. He has one win and one defeat so far. The 1-0 victory over Leeds and the infuriating 2-1 robbery by West Ham.

You don't need to know how bad our record against City is. The last time we beat them was the smash and grab in 2013 when El Ahmadi, Bacuna and Weimann scored in a 3-2 win.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I have never been more certain of a defeat than this game.

Haven’t bothered to check but I’m pretty confident there will be a similar comment somewhere on a Leeds forum this time last week and look what happened, you never know. But the eyeore approach is very Villa, so let’s throw in the towel now.

7 hours ago, smg said:

Haven’t bothered to check but I’m pretty confident there will be a similar comment somewhere on a Leeds forum this time last week and look what happened, you never know. But the eyeore approach is very Villa, so let’s throw in the towel now.

It doesn't matter if the fans "throw in the towel". We aren't the ones playing the game and won't be there to support the team. 

This is going to be a routine win for Man City at best. 

Our season is over  We won't be seeing Jack again and Europe is long gone so I am finding it very, very difficult to give two s***s about this game. 

0-3

• Sad 1

No thought for result.

Villa no effort or fight.

So alas, a loss.

Edited by AJ
Oversyllablised.

We did o.k up there and that was right back in from covid with minimal preparation. 0-0 up to the 81st minute offside goal.

Our problem will be simply getting up the pitch and no idea who's playing either side of Ollie, guess it will just be AEG and Traore if he's fit but that's pretty uninspiring on current form from those two.

Would just pack the midfield tbh and push McGinn on futher e.g. bring in Nakamba and Ramsey and try to shut off the wide areas where they can overload with their eyes closed.

1-3.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They look like they've lost a bit of form... 

6-0

Sterling's going to score a hat trick isn't he? Hilariously bad touch and finishing today.

Annoyed they rested Mahrez as we always struggle to contain him so he'll be fresh and probably score at least once.

• Like 1

Be an interesting selection. Traore looks to have been training all week, so he's fit but we're still short on the flanks. I think Sanson is still out too.

I think we'll go:

------------------------------Martinez------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa-------------Mings---------Targett

-------------------------------Nakamba----------------------------

----------------------Luiz------------McGinn----------------------

Traore----------------------------------------------------El Ghazi

-------------------------------Watkins-------------------------------

Although personally, I'd go for a change and try:

---------------Luiz------Nakamba-----McGinn--------------

-----------------------------Ramsey*-------------------------------

-----------------Davis----------------Watkins-------------------

( *Or Barkley)

Bench will be interesting. For the first of those elevens I'd think:

Heaton, Taylor, Hause, Engels, Elmohamady, Barkley, Ramsey, Davis and maybe Louie Barry.

If we play with two wide men, then without Grealish and Trezeguet, I think Barry is the next best option we have.

Whichever way we go - with three of the regular first team squad missing, I'd expect to see one young player make the bench.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Whichever way we go - with three of the regular first team squad missing, I'd expect to see one young player make the bench.

Philogene-Bidace or Kesler perhaps?  I haven’t seen much of these guys but obviously heard good things.  

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Be an interesting selection. Traore looks to have been training all week, so he's fit but we're still short on the flanks. I think Sanson is still out too.

I think we'll go:

-------------------------------Nakamba----------------------------

----------------------Luiz------------McGinn----------------------

Traore----------------------------------------------------El Ghazi

-------------------------------Watkins-------------------------------

Although personally, I'd go for a change and try:

---------------Luiz------Nakamba-----McGinn--------------

-----------------------------Ramsey*-------------------------------

-----------------Davis----------------Watkins-------------------

( *Or Barkley)

Bench will be interesting. For the first of those elevens I'd think:

Heaton, Taylor, Hause, Engels, Elmohamady, Barkley, Ramsey, Davis and maybe Louie Barry.

If we play with two wide men, then without Grealish and Trezeguet, I think Barry is the next best option we have.

If Hause is fit we could play a three and have cash and targett wide. 

-------------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

----------------Konsa------------Mings--------------Hause-------------

Cash----------------Luiz--------------------McGinn-----------Targett

-------------------------------------Traore--------------------------------------

----------------------Davis-----------------------Watkins-------------------

Would be a decent side but I'd be really surprised if we do that, you could put someone alongside Traore instead of 2 up top which would give us a better chance of keeping the ball when we get it and try and choke their midfield. Tricky game to blood some of the youngsters too as if we end up getting a pasting it's not the best for their confidence I spose but Grealish's mentality survived his first run in a dire team in the Prem...