Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/21 at 22:59

Big mistake trusting in Barkley, surely the manager only did that because of the reverse fixture? It was sentimental nonsense that backfired, Barkley was less than useless.....can’t even strike the ball properly these days. I just don’t want to see him in a premier league game for Villa again. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the Barkley for Nakamba change also came with a change from a formation with one holding player and two more advanced to two holding and one more advanced - I think that's the balance Smith was looking for. I'm not sure if that makes it a good idea or not. 

Its not necessarily about formations its more about players doing their job....Barkley for Nakamba was a strange one, but Nakamba, made a few errors today as did Mings, We was 1-1 so I guess its all down to calls, do you want to win or lose.......The draw, I would have been happy with.....but its more about players doing their job, we have too many players with inconsistency tags around their arm.

I thought Liverpool was rubbish today and could have scored 6 thats how open we was, only for a top class goalkeeper did we avoid it......The space we gave them to play in, was sinful.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think Dean has to take a huge amount of responsibility for that result and I am not one to jump on the managers back, he's been brilliant as a whole but today he got it wrong (IMO).

Davis should have started and it was criminal he didn't even get on the pitch. Traore was fortunate to start and should have been 'dragged' at HT (probably when he tried that trademark ball across the pitch straight to a red shirt). 

Very disjointed performance, so sloppy in possession and Liverpool were there for the taking today which makes this one harder to take.

Game was won and lost with the wide men - their two fullbacks assist and score our wingers are really poor all game - at least Trez showed a little more heart than Traore but at this level it just ain't good enough.

While Jack's out lets just try a 4-4-2 now with a diamond and leave all 3 of our wide players out who let's face it perform once in 10 games ! 

Big summer ahead (for Villa and Dean) 

• Like 3

Barkley is being used as the scapegoat as per usual (as all our other midfielders are offering nowt either) but the chance at the end he should have shot or passed. Dithered then lost it and the chance was gone. Just playing like a player with no confidence whatsoever. 

We will finish below Arse, Leeds and even Wolves at this rate if we’re not careful. Tough run in and we always bottle it against the top teams regardless of what form they’re in. Leeds have also got a tough run in but they’ve proven they’re not bottlers by beating city with 10 men today.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

No Mcginn was meant to be no 10. Nakamba was taking up a right of centre position on front of the back 4 and Luiz was mirroring left of centre. Nakamba ended up two far forward with ball in positions he isn't good with a number of times, his hurt our attacking play. McGinn often had to drop back to help out.

bringing on Barkley he probably thought that a proper no 10 with Mcginn as no 6 being better in advanced positions we could be more of a threat, problem is Barkley is a waste of space on current form.

McGinn was knackered in the #10 role, he wasn't able to track back so the move made sense. Drop McGinn back to #6 role with Luiz and hope Ross could make that one killer pass for Ollie. I want rid of Ross asap but lazy though he is, he has that quality that can bring off a Jack like pass and it was worth the gamble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree. Smith got his selection and one sub wrong today, that doesn't warrant writing him off.

The sub was stupid, everytime we bring on Barkley we play worse not better, the one time he doesn't we come back from a goal down to win, it's not a coincidence, that was terrible. 

However out of his depth that doesn't make him. That was a McGinn's doing a poor job of the no 10 role so if I bring on a proper number 10 we should be more dangerous. So I understand where he was coming from. Still the wrong move and he should have known it. I understand he thought the match was set up for Barkley to make a match winning contribution, and he was putting faith in a player shot of confidence, but Barkley isn't that guy!

For me though our promotion was more about Jack and what he brings to the team, than any great management from Smith. I like Smith, I believe he has done a good job. But he isn't a top manger and neither is he a poor manager. He is a decent manager, a good man, with the right vision, and a good assistant (Terry), who is willing to learn and able to adapt. He trust his players so they want to play for him. 

See, it is possible to be critical without saying he's shite

The comment about not being a top manager is debatable. Most, if not all Top managers have huge finances and usually the best players money can buy. They arent necessarily massively better then everyone else, they just have better players to coach. 

Is Deano up there with Guardiola, obviously not. But considering the teams both have managed and the resources both have had, I think Deano is doing a great job. This is Villa remember, we're not a tinpot outfit stealing a living or treading water in the Premier league. We are Aston Villa, a partially awakened giant who are heading in the right direction. If Deano isn't the man to take us to the next level then so be it, but I really hope we do take that next step and it's Deano who takes us there

• Like 1

Still struggling to see what McGinn offers us this season, even further forward today he had zero influence on the game.

Barkley is just garbage and needs to go asap

Traore I like but he’s been garbage for 10 games now and was woeful today

Trezeuguet continues to remind us why he’s a squad player and El Ghazi is barely a squad player.

We basically need a new midfield next season.

Poor performance overall, 1-1 was flattering us. Worrying trend continued as with spurs and some other recent games where we have lost whilst our opponents haven’t played that well to win. I fear the City backlash next week.

martinez 8 cash 7 Konsa 8 Mings 6 target 7 nakamba 6 luiz 5 McGinn 4 trez 7 traore 0 Watkins 8

Our defence, excellent goalie and workhorse Watkins are keeping us competitive in recent times but it’s a tough watch, the midfield and general forward play is just dire at the minute, no cohesion, no spark, no combination play. Dean and the coaches have lots to work on. Traore’s performance today was acrid, and the way he effectively subbed himself off was not good to see, must do better. 

14 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree. Smith got his selection and one sub wrong today, that doesn't warrant writing him off.

The sub was stupid, everytime we bring on Barkley we play worse not better, the one time he doesn't we come back from a goal down to win, it's not a coincidence, that was terrible. 

However out of his depth that doesn't make him. That was a McGinn's doing a poor job of the no 10 role so if I bring on a proper number 10 we should be more dangerous. So I understand where he was coming from. Still the wrong move and he should have known it. I understand he thought the match was set up for Barkley to make a match winning contribution, and he was putting faith in a player shot of confidence, but Barkley isn't that guy!

For me though our promotion was more about Jack and what he brings to the team, than any great management from Smith. I like Smith, I believe he has done a good job. But he isn't a top manger and neither is he a poor manager. He is a decent manager, a good man, with the right vision, and a good assistant (Terry), who is willing to learn and able to adapt. He trust his players so they want to play for him. 

Barkley is just a part of the frustration....I would just guess that pressure was on Dean to play him, not sure where from, but I feel he is anxious to get him firing.....The Midfield is sorely inadequate, its just defence or attack, there is no control, in the middle, no ball winning, no second balls, no interceptions, no headed duels to write home about, blimey even Jedinak with his lower standard, won them for us.....its just poor......we have " we'll get your season back on track" written all over us.

We have players who are simply not being appraised properly, by all concerned.....fans and coaches.....some of our players just do not have the consistency for this league, bless 'em.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The plan was good I think, we played deep and tried to break on them - we created three or four really good chances and probably should have scored more than one.

It's not pretty when you do that, it means Liverpool have lots of the ball and dominate territory, but I think we generally defended okay, ultimately I thought we were caught out by a bit of quality from TAA and the energy of Andy Roberston. 

Individually, I thought Cash and Target were good as was the keeper, Martinez was his usual picture of excellence and Konsa and Mings were decent with the exception of Ming's foul up of the day - he really does need to remove those from his game.

In the middle I thought McGinn did well and also didn't, a performance with energy and spirit and carelessness, Luiz likewise did well for the most part but needs those little lobbed passes that go nowhere slapped out of him, Nakamba did okay without much impact.

Our wingers aren't good enough - Trez makes terrible decisions, works hard and lacks a bit of quality, Traore makes poor decisions, drifts out of games, doesn't work hard enough but has moments of quality and El Ghazi is somewhere in between - none of those three are our future in my opinion.

Watkins is - he continues to work hard, pressure defenders and score goals.

I thought Barkley did okay, there was a bit more intent if not the confidence that might have brought him more joy with a long shot. Ramsey showed a lot of desire and some nice touches, he's got lots of good little moments in him, but he needs to have one or two big moments.

I think we've been a little unlucky. We lack quality on the flanks without Jack but we're working hard elsewhere and we're hard to break down.

Liverpool are a good side, at home, they've got rubbish centre backs but quality elsewhere and I thought Robertson was the best player on the pitch. Trent still isn't as good as Reece James and with Southgate desperate to pick Trippier and Walker I still think he'll be at home in the summer.

Agree with this view mostly. Defo thought in the game that We could do with better quality on the wings, that’s certainly how we improve, nothing that £60-80m wouldn’t couldn’t sort out, and that’s what it’s going to take. 

I also think that Grealish has flattered McGinn and to a lesser extent Luiz. I feel we are asking a lot of Luiz as such a young man. But the McGinn  thing is eating at me now, it’s another position that we could and should upgrade.

I personally think Barkley is decent, if lacking game time and confidence, he certainly has it in his locker but our shape only unlocks it when he has better players around him. I hope we buy him, but also spend big on forwards. I’d like to see if we could get Barkley, Tammy and Loftus-Cheek in the summer, plus a very good winger.

27 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Was expecting a comment of sorts. We kept them at bay for most of the game and they scored an injury time winner. 

Had we have hung on for a draw at the end people would mostly be applauding a decent hard fought result. With better decision making in key areas we could’ve won that and not lost, that’s all I’m saying. 

You ask anybody on this website I’m generally positive.  Whether we won, drawn or lost that match we were poor today.  Salah should’ve scored that mistake by Mings, Firmino goal/no goal and they had other chances, they just weren’t clinical today.  We had chances as well with Trez hitting post but overall we were really poor today, better in defence but our offensive play was woeful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smg said:

So Ramsey is already being written off as not good enough by our resident experts on here. Wow.

Yeah, this is not a great take. JR offers a lot already with far more to come - imo. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You ask anybody on this website I’m generally positive.  Whether we won, drawn or lost that match we were poor today.  Salah should’ve scored that mistake by Mings, Firmino goal/no goal and they had other chances, they just weren’t clinical today.  We had chances as well with Trez hitting post but overall we were really poor today, better in defence but our offensive play was woeful.

I wasnt suggesting you are or aren’t usually positive. I don’t know you atall. It’s just opinions and reactions in general are more rife after a loss. 

I’m gutted with the loss and how it unfolded but we weren’t being peppered all second half and came closer than Liverpool to scoring through Trezzy’s effort off the post, before they bagged the winner. In my opinion, and that’s all it is, we were far from poor and I doubt people would’ve felt the same had Trezzy had scored and Trent hadn’t. Fine margins which we were on the wrong end of. 

22 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Barkley is being used as the scapegoat as per usual (as all our other midfielders are offering nowt either) but the chance at the end he should have shot or passed. Dithered then lost it and the chance was gone. Just playing like a player with no confidence whatsoever. 

We will finish below Arse, Leeds and even Wolves at this rate if we’re not careful. Tough run in and we always bottle it against the top teams regardless of what form they’re in. Leeds have also got a tough run in but they’ve proven they’re not bottlers by beating city with 10 men today.

Barkley isn't good enough to be a scape goat. Goats run around.

His pathetic attempt at ... God knows what it was, when he had clear site of goal a decent angle and easily in shooting range just dithers until the defender removes the ball from him, they then literally go down the other end and score.

It was a direct result of yet more lazy terrible birkley decision making.

Since his injury he has been worse than traore and that's saying something. At least traore has been half decent in 1 game in 5. Birkley has possibly, being generous, 4 good or decent games for us.

And it is pure laziness and gutlessness which has effected his level of performance. He has skill but doesn't bother moving unless it's directly on his foot and then his slow jog gradually ends in his giving the ball away killing off any forward momentum or possession.

Traore has a purple patch of 4 or 5 games and apart from that has 1 in 4 good games.

Birkley has 100 % bad games each time he plays and wastes a space on the pitch.

From being super excited we had him to dreading to look at the team sheet incase he is anywhere near the first team shows that it is 100% down to his lack of performance rather than any preconceived ideas.

Traore I had doubts about, that he disappears for weeks at a time, scores a goal or two and then disappears again, we'll thats turned out to be reasonably accurate but was something I half expected.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Both teams were sloppy. I think a point wouldn't have been unfair but not surprised. We're on the beach.

But there's the question, I think in the corridors of power will be aired.....we have spent £250 million in the last 2 summers.....why are we on the beach?

The Season has been good, with 44 points to date,but (its about 38 games, not 30),  very satisfying, but I will be surprised if questions are not being asked.....why so passive?, why so sloppy? why so benevolent?

I have seen questionable elements in games we have won and lost of late and nothing has changed, we could have won and equally, we could have conceded 6, but for a good goalkeeper.

Something is not right for me, its all a bit blaise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

I always wonder what the critics would say had Trez's effort gone in off the post and we'd won 1-2. Would the critics still be slagging us off because the performance would have been the same, just the result that would be different. For me, frustrating result but an okay performance against a CL side who are 4th in the table, who completely routed Arsenal last week and who SHOULD beat a mid-table Villa at home by some margin !

That was really unlucky

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â