Midweek Football 5/8 April

andykeenan

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I don't understand why some managers elect to just sit back when they get a lead. There's like 20 years worth of evidence that it doesn't work :lol: 

or in West Ham case the last game they played :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

or in West Ham case the last game they played :D 

When Dean Smith says he wants his team to keep scoring even when they have a 3-0 lead it sounded novel and refreshing because it doesn't appear to be the de facto standard in football, but it's really the only logical approach one would think? You're more likely to score when you're playing on the front foot and more likely to concede when you're sitting back. It makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Wow that was actually brilliant from Adama, best thing he's done for years.

1st assist of the season, still no goals

Crazy

Expect there to be a lot of knicker wetting over that run though 

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't understand why some managers elect to just sit back when they get a lead. There's like 20 years worth of evidence that it doesn't work :lol: 

Greece in that euros they won were one of the best I've ever seen at protecting one goal leads (when you look at how limited they were compared to the teams they beat).

It's a combination of things really...you put loads of running and effort into going 2 or 3 up in first half and get tired so start to sit back and defend less space and condense the pitch especially if there's another game a few days later. One goal lead and barely attacking is very dodgy though and Spurs for one have wasted countless points just defending like that in second halves despite having Kane and Son on the pitch so Mourinho's actually one of the worst around for it nowadays in premier league.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Greece in that euros they won were one of the best I've ever seen at protecting one goal leads (when you look at how limited they were compared to the teams they beat).

It's a combination of things really...you put loads of running and effort into going 2 or 3 up in first half and get tired so start to sit back and defend less space and condense the pitch especially if there's another game a few days later. One goal lead and barely attacking is very dodgy though and Spurs for one have wasted countless points just defending like that in second halves despite having Kane and Son on the pitch so Mourinho's actually one of the worst around for it nowadays in premier league.

Yep its a balance but still need to offer a counter attack, I think one of the best defensive effort this season in that regard was us vs Liverpool. We defended a lot and gave them the ball but a quick ball over the top to Ollie or Jack completely baffled them especially when they were chasing us

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Wow that was actually brilliant from Adama, best thing he's done for years.

It was right up to the point he took a heavy touch and nearly kicked the ball out over the goal line for a goal kick. He got to it and swung in a great cross to be fair to him. He's got the physical attributes, just not technically good enough at the skills of the game. 

Wolves fans in the main saying what we knew when Adama was here. Running down alleys, no ebd product and no brain. He had a purple patch for a few months last season which was ridiculously hyped up. My Wolves mate would sell him tomorrow and it seems they've finally woken up to what he is

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It totally works. Many a game has been won by a team shutting up shop, but like zonal marking at corners or playing it out from the back the failures are so spectacular that we overestimate how often they happen. 

• Like 2

Â