Mesh Wi-Fi systems

juanpabloingram

I've set up Google Wifi for a friend, worked fine.

I picked up 3 Asus RT-AC68U routers very cheap. They are routers but have mesh built in the software. So I used one as a router and the other two as mesh nodes. They worked great and can do both wired and wireless backhaul. One thing I missed was that the nodes are to be pluged in to the WAN port if used as mesh.

A good thng with Asus is that you can mix a bunch of their models. I'm currently using a RT-AX92U as a main unit with RT-AC68U as mesh-nodes.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I put a new extension on my house and struggled to get any internet in it.  The Tv kept disconnecting from the Wifi and my phone would keep dropping out from it too.

I put in two TP-link Deco M5's (1 in the router and one plugged in, in the extension) and its solved everything! I couldn't be happier with it.   It took me about 5 minutes in total to set up too which was a bonus.  You can also just keep adding to it too, so if you need a few more its dead easy to add on.

• Like 2

Based on this thread I put a TP Link Deco M4 in today with hubs at the rear and upstairs in my property. It really is everything that it promised. Absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2021 at 10:20, stuart_75 said:

Deco M5 3 pack in my home. Very very impressed. I'd never go back to a standard wi-fi/router.

Just about to buy this. Where did you get it from? I’ve got a normal 3 bed semi so not sure I need 3 of them. Can you still use the Ethernet ports from your original router?

48 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Just about to buy this. Where did you get it from? I’ve got a normal 3 bed semi so not sure I need 3 of them. Can you still use the Ethernet ports from your original router?

Got mine from Amazon, waited for a price drop and got the 3 pack for £133. I have one plugged into my router/modem (wifi disabled), another in the conservatory and 1 upstairs. All 3 have wired backhaul but can work without it fine. Yes, I still use the eth ports on the back of my router and other switches I have around the house.

2 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Got mine from Amazon, waited for a price drop and got the 3 pack for £133. I have one plugged into my router/modem (wifi disabled), another in the conservatory and 1 upstairs. All 3 have wired backhaul but can work without it fine. Yes, I still use the eth ports on the back of my router and other switches I have around the house.

Thanks. Missed out on that price!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump but looking to set this up in our house.

We've just had a router installed in the garage and I'd need 2 more routers as we have thick concrete walls.

Can I buy 2 meshed routers, wire the installed router from the ISP to the first one, and have 2 separate networks (cheaper) or should I replace the router provided by the ISP with the mesh system?

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry to bump but looking to set this up in our house.

We've just had a router installed in the garage and I'd need 2 more routers as we have thick concrete walls.

Can I buy 2 meshed routers, wire the installed router from the ISP to the first one, and have 2 separate networks (cheaper) or should I replace the router provided by the ISP with the mesh system?

With the Google Nest ones, one is wired into your router. The other(s) can be anywhere in range.

I turn the wifi built in to my router off.

50 minutes ago, limpid said:

With the Google Nest ones, one is wired into your router. The other(s) can be anywhere in range.

Does turning off the router wifi make that much of a difference? I currently have a Tenda Nova mesh system but still have the wifi on my VM superhub. I make sure all the wife and lads crap is connected to the Nova and my stuff connected to the Router 

Edited by Craigyh74

29 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think it's a modem/router combined. If so, can I just set it to bridge mode, wire it to the primary mesh router and use that as the main router?

4 hours ago, Craigyh74 said:

Does turning off the router wifi make that much of a difference? I currently have a Tenda Nova mesh system but still have the wifi on my VM superhub. I make sure all the wife and lads crap is connected to the Nova and my stuff connected to the Router 

My Google Nest stuff is all running WPA3, my router doesn't support it and can't mesh, so I disabled the wifi.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think it's a modem/router combined. If so, can I just set it to bridge mode, wire it to the primary mesh router and use that as the main router?

Almost certainly, but you don't need to bridge unless you want to. UPNP will deal with the extra NAT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with these

On 24/05/2021 at 21:45, Seat68 said:

Based on this thread I put a TP Link Deco M4 in today with hubs at the rear and upstairs in my property. It really is everything that it promised. Absolutely fantastic. 

R.42d97b23970d328ff1a5b2e14437b094?rik=j

Got 3 because our entire house is a maze of concrete and underfloor heating

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ended up with these

Coming up to 10 months with them. No issues at all, perfect and consistent WiFi throughout the house. 

On 18/03/2022 at 08:57, StefanAVFC said:

Ended up with these

I also have these and I’d have to say that since they were set up, I haven’t thought about the WiFi in the house. Which is exactly what I wanted.

I can sit in one room with everything I want happily running with me connected to my office, whilst in another room my missus is doing the same. Both of us on teams calls and running cad software and dicking about with our phones and Alexa and all that schizz.

No idea what they are or what they do, recognised the picture. The nipper bought them and installed them for their convenience on their occasional visits home. With a masters in computing or I.T. or some such, I just left them to it.

• Like 1

Â