Suez Canal Blockage (Grounding of the Ever Given)

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine the fact that the ship is absolutely **** gigantic complicates matters slightly

These things are so big that the pollution they generate is estimated to equal the amount generated by 50 million cars. It would take just 15 of them to produce the same amount as every car in existence, combined.

• Like 2

Just now, Chindie said:

These things are so big that the pollution they generate is estimated to equal the amount generated by 50 million cars. It would take just 15 of them to produce the same amount as every car in existence, combined.

I remember seeing a stat a while ago along those lines. Getting rid of only a small quantity of these ships saves the equivalent pollution of all the cars on the planet

I really recommend this as a good read on what these ships are like: https://thedisorderofthings.com/tag/slow-boat-to-china/

It's from a Singaporean lady who travelled from LA to Asia on a ship in 2015, and she writes about all different aspects of the industry - the work onboard, the conditions of the employees, the way the ships are configured, who the employees are etc. I found it great writing, but also very depressing, especially the passages about 'waste'. Some of it does engage with left-wing political theory, but if that's not your bag you can skip those parts without missing too much.

(Confusingly, the posts are displayed on the page in reverse order)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

220,000 tonnes, it’s so hard to comprehend just how heavy that is

Not really.  Imagine, like 1 tonne.

Them multiply that by 220,000 times and hey presto!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, choffer said:

I think I’ve just realised that the Suez Canal and the Panama Canal aren’t actually the same thing 🤦‍♂️

yep, the Panama Canal is where the hats come from. 

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was about to say that just can't be correct, imagining how much space that 50m car engines would take up (which would be like 10,000) times bigger than any diesel engine ever made), but then I remember reading somewhere recently that there are no emission controls on ships.  If you look at the really low emission level requirements put on cars you can see how something completely unrestricted would be so much worse.  I think they also burn the absolute cheapest fuel known to man which compared to highly refined car diesel is also probably a different kettle of fish.

Roll on electric power replacing diesel.  Once solid state batteries come in mainstream their energy density should match or exceed diesel, and the lower fuel cost should convince owners to change.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

No, they've moved the stern but front it still grounded.  You would think it fairly simple to drag it backwards now, but apparently not.  Trying to free it again at 09.30 gmt. 

Now sorted apparently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

And here's me being made to feel guilty about not washing out my bean tins... 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

220,000 tonnes, it’s so hard to comprehend just how heavy that is

Imagine just getting up in the morning and working from home. Total steps during the day, 27.

Now, it’s teatime, you do an absolutely banging curry and if you’re honest, those home made naans weren’t needed with the home made chips and that ‘special’ rice you do with the last minute flash fry of butter.

Those two cans of lager, to accompany the curry whilst sat there watching Eastenders, ordinarily that would be a bit over the top, but it was a tough day.

It’s 9:00pm, we’ll watch episodes 7 and 8 of this box set. Where are the Jaffa cakes?

Now, weigh yourself the next morning. 220,000 tonnes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I really wish that someone would tell our local council that, as they are in the process of making the area around the Freeport Entrance a congestion charging zone because of the C02 levels. The fact that the Freeport was recently expanded to accomodate massive ships like this will have absolutely no bearing on the increased levels of C02 at all, no siree, not one bit

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bet the captain is shitting himself for the remainder of his trip along the canal. 

I would think the ex captain is currently applying for jobs at Stratford-upon-Avon organising the hire out of the rowing boats this summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness there's not many times you can add to your CV 'I was ultimately responsible for bringing most of global cargo shipping to a halt for a week'.

I am able to captain any size of ship as long as it's not too breezy. 

Â