Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Just now, the_eristic said:

We desperately need movement in front of and around the ball. We consistently give no options to whoever has it, which leads to rushing, panic, then errors.

I think we're doing o.k. People won't like us hitting it long but we've forced Sanchez into many free kick fouls and Arsenal used it as effective tactic all last week.

The problem is Trez being on end of most of the punts....

We waste so many set pieces it's a joke. People forget finishing top 6 under MON it seemed like half our goals came from corners, free kicks and penalties so it's very effective if you have the players and delivery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Konsa, Martinez and Cash can all share responsibility for the goal - I think to put Mings in the frame for that one you have to be starting with a Mings shaped frame.

Overall, Trez lacks some quality, Traore doesn't produce often enough, Samson has looked a little off it, Watkins is difficult to judge - I think everyone else has looked pretty good.

No. Sick of this accusation.

I’ve not blamed Mings, I’ve commented on other players part in it as well but once again there is a refusal to look at Mings.

He goes to the near post when Martinez and Konsa are already there and leaves the middle of the goal empty and them with a tap in. How anyone can argue that isn’t an error (one of at least three) in that goal is beyond me.

I’m done.

From back to middle fairly good but when your lone striker is constantly receiving the ball out wide then you’re going to be pretty toothless.

Smith needs to change formation because without Grealish Villa’s wingers simply aren’t good enough to play with two wingers.

No shots says it all.

Edited by striker

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Just saw their goal again. What was Mcginn doing watching Kane (best striker in the world) in days of space. Then two men free on the back post is very poor.

Lacklustre closing down for the Newcastle equaliser too. 

Not sure why he’s stopped working, because he isn’t going to stay playing Premiership football based on the ‘quality’ of his left foot.

we are really poor in the attacking area's when Grealish isnt in the team.

tbh i just want this season to end now we are safe as our form for 15 odd games now is shockingly bad, we need 3 players in the midfield/forward areas badly.

If we lose this game our points average over the last 15 games is 1.06......(aka: a 40 point season on that average)

for anyone wondering, thats flirting with relegation form.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Standout poor performers for me have been Traore, Trezeguet, Luiz and Cash. 

It was a poor clearance from Martinez for their goal but Cash’s attempt at a challenge was piss poor and half hearted. 

Traore why?  A few nice touches doesn’t cover his ineffectiveness.  Without Jack he’s supposed to be our creative player yet nothing material yet.

• Like 1

Just now, villatillidie1980 said:

For me, it has to be Trez. As much as Bert does some really dodgy stuff, he does at least have the potential that something will come off. Just don’t feel that with Trez 

yeah Bertie can (rarely) create magic. Trez usually gets results by force of work and will power. It doesnt seem to be happening for him today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not just work rate, it's pace.

Jack gets away with it because he's such a good dribbler, but as I've been saying for years now (since Gabby at his best) we've got nobody that can frighten teams with raw speed.

Spurs goal, Moura gets there ahead of Cash because of speed and then they're in.  We just can't do that.

Agreed. However I mention pace in the summer transfer thread alot and I'm sick of mentioning it.

• Like 3

Just now, hippo said:

When hes Fully fit Louie Barry has to get a start - shuffling the same old same olds is having no impact.

Nothing to lose now is there? Definitely time to start giving the younger lads some match time as we see the season out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

That’s easy. Trez 

Definitely, at least Traore has done SOME good things, and CAN produce flashes of quality to unlock things.

Trez legit looks like a competetion winner at times. As much as I love him.

He is so wild he often injures or falls over himself ffs.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Barkley and/or Ghazi on after the break, please. 

Out of the bench options, they're probably the only ones who could maybe offer something going forward and might grab a goal. As long as Barkley doesn't do something daft in his own half anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

No. Sick of this accusation.

I’ve not blamed Mings, I’ve commented on other players part in it as well but once again there is a refusal to look at Mings.

He goes to the near post when Martinez and Konsa are already there and leaves the middle of the goal empty and them with a tap in. How anyone can argue that isn’t an error (one of at least three) in that goal is beyond me.

I’m done.

Have you watched it back? Konza isn't anywhere neat it. 

Cash couldn't get to Moura, he has to close down a guy with a chance to shoot from 6 yards out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, surely it's all down to Martinez? He clears it into the stands, problem solved.

I actually thought Moura was going to shot as soon as he got the ball given Emi was still out of penalty box so in that situation Mings has to step out to try to block. He's had a good first half.

Yup Martinez error - but the situation was by no means irretrievable.  You bet if lloris had done it at the other end of the pitch - the ball wouldn't have ended up in the spurs net. 

• Like 1