Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/03/21 at 23:59

Went with Targett as MotM since he wasn't involved with either of the goals against us. All other defenders were: Emi, Konsa, Cash and to a lesser extent Mings. 

Every midfield player and every attacking player was below acceptable level. I must say I'm very surprised by Watkins' call up, he's getting worse every game.

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Looked like he was playing 4-2-3-1. With Sanson in that advanced role and Luiz and McGinn sitting. Either way it ain’t working, and has not been for a long time. I feel like squeezing and slapping Smith. I cannot for the life of me work out how after seeing that first 45 mins, he refused to change the system.

Sanson isn’t a number ten though is he.

I have gone from optimistically looking at a top 8 finish to wishing the season to end now. I can't see us getting 50 points now. Compared to teams around us we have played far less games so I don't really buy excuses that we are looking tired and jaded. One man team with Grealish, our goals have dried up and so has our creativity. We have a tough finish to the season so we could well finish about 12-14th which would be a real shame. However at the start of the season I would taken it. Very very flat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess Grealish will be back for our next one so there won't be the same problem, but for me Smith should have learned lessons while Jack has been out, he should have changed the shape or made an adjustment to our style

Absolutely THIS x 100. Jack is a massive and totally essential part of the way we have set up first half of the season and when we lost him, we should have changed the approach instead of hoping that somehow we could continue without him. McGinn should have been given the freedom to play the #10 role and Davis should have partnered Watkins in every game. 

Edited by Paul33

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Awful. Dean Smith and staff have to take the blame for this one. They did not give the players the tools needed to win the game.

I hope Smith looks to himself to improve here. He came up against a better manager, he should learn from it.

To be fair Dean hasn’t got the tools because we have a small squad in poor form. They didn’t play Bale or Son tonight to even begin in the comparisons. A bit harsh on Smith, we started well but no creativity in the team with Jack out.....Barkley dropped because he’s been poor and Traore ineffective.  There were no tools to create chances.  Second season into a squad build has killed us.

• Like 2

What Jack brings to the gam as much as his skillset is a real energy that is lacking at the moment. Our success this season has been from a high tempo gameset. It's been lacking for a while now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We weren’t bad before the covid break.  Go and look at those games, somebody said that the other day and I went and checked, we were still playing good football then.  Post covid we have been poor, with and without Jack.  I’m not saying covid is the issue, I’m just saying we weren’t poor just before covid.

For me, the turn started in late november with the Brighton and West Ham defeats.  Thats nearly 8 weeks before the outbreak.

We had the odd good game after that, but no consistency.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Davis - did more telling stuff than Watkins in a 15 minutes cameo but the game was over and, well... He's just not a goalscorer.

Based on what ? He's not had one hour of game time this season which compares to many hours that Watkins has had. Its tough to score from the bench !!!

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We need a few pricks in our squad. Demanding bastards who want to win things. Representatives for Wellingborough who raise the standards of our squad and team. rocket polishers who get upset because you play the ball 3mm too short or behind you. 

We're too nice.

Surely we have enough fans that do that already 

Totally understand what you mean, we need a Roy Keane type on the field to put some rockets up em

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Waste of time watching any other games this season. Best to do more useful things with your life and start again next season, as that what our **** players are doing.

**** all to look forward to other.than dreary mediocrity for a couple of months. Sod that.

Yeah, I'm going to be giving the team a wide berth for the foreseeable as they only seem to ruin my weekends and give me false hope and I can't be bothered with that any more.

It promised to be such a good season, and is now turning into a pretty miserable one in all honesty.

Much rather enjoy my weekends. Avoiding not only watching Villa but also checking the score (which also will make me depressed no doubt) is probably the best thing to do for a while.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Looked like he was playing 4-2-3-1. With Sanson in that advanced role and Luiz and McGinn sitting. Either way it ain’t working, and has not been for a long time. I feel like squeezing and slapping Smith. I cannot for the life of me work out how after seeing that first 45 mins, he refused to change the system.

4-3-3/4-2-3-1 I should have put.  My point is not so much about the midfield set up but more about the lack of wide options that we have without Jack.  BT is okay as a wild card - he can do some incredible things and then some really frustrating things.  Trez is hopeless.  AEG does nothing but shoot.

We really need to try a 4-4(diamond)-2 from the start and see Ollie and KD as a pair.  I keep hearing how every member of the coaching teams loves KD - well give him a proper chance.  He could open things up for Ollie who works tirelessly but is on his won.  KD did more in 10 minutes tonight than Trez in 70 and he would have given a poor Spurs CB pairing a really hard time.  Targett and Cash are our best crossers (other than Jack).  Leicester are smashing it with two up top and a "10" off them and we should give it a go.  It can't be any worse than the trash we have had since the Leeds game!

Â