England v San Marino/Albania v England/England v Poland

andykeenan

San Marino Thursday 25 March 7.45pm

Albania Sunday 28 March 5pm

Poland Wednesday  31 March 7.45

All games on ITV 

The Squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw(Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders:  Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham United, loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse(Southampton)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton),   Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

Bellingham most likely won't be allowed to join up with the squad, so there will be space for another central midfield man - possibly Grealish if he plays at the weekend.

Mourinho will want to pull Kane out before too long if possible, so there's probably an opportunity for Bamford to join up with the squad for a game or two.

Anyone else likely to drop out?

I don't watch anywhere near enough football to have as firm an opinion on this as I should; but to my casual eye, there isn't much in that squad you can't say "you know what, fair enough" to.  Chance for someone to stick a claim for between the sticks given Pickford's total lack of form over what feels like the last 2 and a half years.  Lingard gets a deserved return given his recent form/fantasy football hauls, delighted for Watkins though I can't imagine he'll get much game time given Southgate's predisposition to wring the last drop out of Harry Kane like he's a 6month old tube of toothpaste.

Will be interesting to see how we line up, expect Phillips will be doing a lot of needless shielding of the back 3 in the first two games given the apparent lack of options there.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the one in there that sticks out as very lucky to be named is Eric Dier.

That said, I think Dier will always be a Southgate prick.

FTFY

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

3 games again?  I lose track, are these all World Cup qualifiers?

yeah as the Euros was pushed back to 2021 they need to squeeze in June qualifiers

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

gone under the radar but Alexander Arnold dropped. Surprised Southgate did it, its correct decision but its not a typical Southgate call

Credit where cred....nah, **** off waistcoat rocket polisher.

• Haha 2

Not sure I like Southgate saying he's bringing players into the squad to improve them. Did it with Grealish suggesting he was only paying at the level he is this season because he got called up, and now he's saying he wants Watkins in the squad to improve him.

• Haha 2

I want Ollie and Jack ignoring everything that Representative for Wellingborough says.

Southgate and Boothroyd in charge of this generation of England players is a disgrace.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Who else is there? Injuries to barnes, sancho, grealish, maddison

He’s always be a favourite of Southgate though. As soon as he moved and scored he was going to be back in the squad. He’s done alright for West H and probably does deserve a place, but I just hope that Southgate isn’t stupid enough to stick with him over the likes of Jack moving forward.

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He’s always be a favourite of Southgate though. As soon as he moved and scored he was going to be back in the squad. He’s done alright for West H and probably does deserve a place, but I just hope that Southgate isn’t stupid enough to stick with him over the likes of Jack moving forward.

I don't even think he deserves a place just yet. It's been 6 games ffs. Yes he's been good but come on. He's been poor for United and England for much longer than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Who else is there? Injuries to barnes, sancho, grealish, maddison

Take Smith Rowe, hasn’t played to many more games that Lingard this season but he hasn’t been rubbish for 3 seasons.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't even think he deserves a place just yet. It's been 6 games ffs. Yes he's been good but come on. He's been poor for United and England for much longer than that.

There's a thing with calling up in form players and another calling up ones that you already know everything about and you know they aren't good enough

Lingard is the latter

@Nicho good shout with ESR, take someone you know nothing about rather than someone that you know isn't good enough

England have always been guilty of that, Glen Johnson has 54 caps... You knew he wasn't up to much after about 5 of them 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Flippin Eck.  Sky are literally furious about the Bamford ommission from the England Squad. They can't stop mentioning the "snub" 

The fact that the continued ommission of Grealish was 10 times more of a travesty yet they barely mentioned it till it was an inevitably. 

Â