Cheltenham 2021

troon_villan

Yesterday finished about £15 up, lost on the sky first race, but obvs had money back. Won on a Super Heinz with 3 wins and 4 placings.

Today, lost on first race so money back again. Had a super Heinz again, won 4 placed 3. £105 up. 
All complete luck. 
Think that’s me done this week apart from the money back ones, luck bound to run out 

Tiger Roll was a massive price to romp that X-Country today.

He isn't in the Grand National due to being lugged with top weight and this was an ideal race for him today.

Will be keeping my eye out for him if he runs in the Irish National in a few weeks time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Tomorrow looks a real head scratcher for the accumulator punters.  The 13:20 has a short priced favourite but you could make cases for several in each of the rest.

Have a look the markets where they offer betting 'without the favourite'.

In some races it is better to keep the 'favourite' in the field as you get some tasty odds on some of the other less fancied runners that romp home in 2nd/3rd at huge prices!

I cannot get enough of these 20+ runner fields at Cheltenham and they have thrown up a few decent returns so far this week.

Here is a problem that we would all like to have had, from today's Times (I tend to agree with his risk averse decision):

What would you do in this situation? Four of five legs have landed in your £5 accumulator bet and the fifth is Envoi Allen, 4-9 favourite in the Marsh Novices’ Chase today and considered by many the banker of this week’s Cheltenham Festival. You can cash out now and take £275,000 or let it ride for £511,225 — or nothing. That was the dilemma facing Paul Dean last night after Bob Olinger’s victory in the Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle left him one step from landing a remarkable punt. It proved to be such a difficult one that Dean found a compromise.

“After celebrations last night, four hours’ sleep and an hour-long walk at 5am, I’ve decided to take a partial cash-out offer,” he told the Racing Post this morning. Dean, 40, contacted Betfair, who took the wager in June, and agreed a deal. If Envoi Allen wins, he gets £300,000; if the banker is beaten, it’s £250,000. “With other bets, I’ll win £322,000 if Envoi wins so I can cheer him on,” he said. “I didn’t want to sit there bored watching the action. People think I’m mad for saying that but following horse racing is my life.”

The Stockton-on-Tees-based punter placed the audacious bet in the summer, when racing returned from its Covid-enforced hiatus. The first two winners were in Royal Ascot’s sprint races — Golden Horde in the Commonwealth Cup at 12-1 and Hello Youmzain at 10-1 in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes — but this was a marathon endeavour. The other three were at Cheltenham this week, all at inflated ante-post prices. Dean got Shishkin in the Arkle at 4-1 (he won at 4-9 on Tuesday), Bob Olinger at 25-1 (starting price 6-4) and Envoi Allen at 9-2. The odds of the five-fold were a touch over 100,000-1 — 20 times less likely than Leicester City’s famous Premier League title triumph in 2016.

“It’s not so much the races that make me nervous,” Dean said. “It’s the months leading up to the festival when my selections shortened. You’ve seen how many drop out and you just hope yours doesn’t get injured. “It’s all about Cheltenham for me and I love having small ante-post bets and the dream of a big win over the winter. It’s a life-changing sum. I’ll be going on a lot of holidays. It’s my mum and dad’s 70th this year so we’ll be going to New York and to some of the best golf courses in the world. I really want to play Bethpage and Sawgrass — and I think I’ll buy a horse.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, John said:

Here is a problem that we would all like to have had, from today's Times (I tend to agree with his risk averse decision):

What would you do in this situation? Four of five legs have landed in your £5 accumulator bet and the fifth is Envoi Allen, 4-9 favourite in the Marsh Novices’ Chase today and considered by many the banker of this week’s Cheltenham Festival. You can cash out now and take £275,000 or let it ride for £511,225 — or nothing. That was the dilemma facing Paul Dean last night after Bob Olinger’s victory in the Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle left him one step from landing a remarkable punt. It proved to be such a difficult one that Dean found a compromise.

“After celebrations last night, four hours’ sleep and an hour-long walk at 5am, I’ve decided to take a partial cash-out offer,” he told the Racing Post this morning. Dean, 40, contacted Betfair, who took the wager in June, and agreed a deal. If Envoi Allen wins, he gets £300,000; if the banker is beaten, it’s £250,000. “With other bets, I’ll win £322,000 if Envoi wins so I can cheer him on,” he said. “I didn’t want to sit there bored watching the action. People think I’m mad for saying that but following horse racing is my life.”

The Stockton-on-Tees-based punter placed the audacious bet in the summer, when racing returned from its Covid-enforced hiatus. The first two winners were in Royal Ascot’s sprint races — Golden Horde in the Commonwealth Cup at 12-1 and Hello Youmzain at 10-1 in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes — but this was a marathon endeavour. The other three were at Cheltenham this week, all at inflated ante-post prices. Dean got Shishkin in the Arkle at 4-1 (he won at 4-9 on Tuesday), Bob Olinger at 25-1 (starting price 6-4) and Envoi Allen at 9-2. The odds of the five-fold were a touch over 100,000-1 — 20 times less likely than Leicester City’s famous Premier League title triumph in 2016.

“It’s not so much the races that make me nervous,” Dean said. “It’s the months leading up to the festival when my selections shortened. You’ve seen how many drop out and you just hope yours doesn’t get injured. “It’s all about Cheltenham for me and I love having small ante-post bets and the dream of a big win over the winter. It’s a life-changing sum. I’ll be going on a lot of holidays. It’s my mum and dad’s 70th this year so we’ll be going to New York and to some of the best golf courses in the world. I really want to play Bethpage and Sawgrass — and I think I’ll buy a horse.”

Yes!

I was reading about this and I am so glad he decided to cash out early!

If there is anything to learn about Cheltenham and big four folds rolling onto the last leg of your selection is cash out when you have more than doubled your money.

It reminds me of the year Ruby fell off Annie Power at the last, which put an end to thousands of doubles, trebles and four folds and saved the bookies millions ££ in payouts at the time.

That punter was right to Cash out today as Envoi Allen crashed out early on in his race today too. 

Wise man.

• Like 1

Several hard luck stories, a few sent to the glue factory and a handful of big price winners.  A very up and down week at Chelts for me.

Paddy Power spitting the dummy out and closing my account after I won with Flooring Porter yesterday was a particular highlight.  A "business decision" apparently.  They've advised they have withdrew my balance (£94 btw, not exactly taking early retirement) to my account so no major loss.  

21 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Several hard luck stories, a few sent to the glue factory and a handful of big price winners.  A very up and down week at Chelts for me.

Paddy Power spitting the dummy out and closing my account after I won with Flooring Porter yesterday was a particular highlight.  A "business decision" apparently.  They've advised they have withdrew my balance (£94 btw, not exactly taking early retirement) to my account so no major loss.  

Why did they close it?

Even when they bust matched betters they leave the account intact, just remove all promotions.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why did they close it?

Even when they bust matched betters they leave the account intact, just remove all promotions.

I immediately went to live chat as I was pretty pissed off.  I received a fairly stock response "account closed as a business decision, the security team can do this at their discretion, no further information can be given"

I hadn't broken any rules that I know of.  My account P/L may have been too healthy though and after winning another £94 it was flagged.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, troon_villan said:

I immediately went to live chat as I was pretty pissed off.  I received a fairly stock response "account closed as a business decision, the security team can do this at their discretion, no further information can be given"

I hadn't broken any rules that I know of.  My account P/L may have been too healthy though and after winning another £94 it was flagged.  

The last thing a bookie wants is a punter that wins. Even so, that decision sounds remarkable assuming that you had not won every bet that you had put on for a couple of months, or so. If you had, can you give us one or two tips? :D  

Â