Home Network Issue

Genie

Hoping the clever guys on here can help 🙂 

I have Virgin Media 200mb broadband and it’s pretty good and reliable. The issue is wifi coverage across the house and also the lack of traffic management function in the super hub 3.0.

I recently bought an ASUS RT-AC85P router from Amazon, stuck the hub 3 into modem mode and connect to it instead of the Virgin box.

It is managing the network better but I’m still struggling in the back corner of my house (which incidentally is where my WFH setup is and my Xbox which often has massive files to download).

Before the router I tried some power line adapters supplied free by Virgin. They improve the wifi signal strength in that room but speed is well down and also problem with traffic management exists (making online gaming impossible).

Whats the best combination of modem / router / power line adapters for this problem?

Can I connect modem (Virgin hub 3) to a power line adapter via Ethernet cable, then upstairs the router (positioned more centrally in the house) into the other power line adapter?

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Send the router back. Buy Google WiFi (or another mesh network).

Is it really that good in a largish 4 bed house? Unfortunately the modem point the Virgin cable is in 1 corner, and the office/Xbox is literally furthest possible point. 

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is it really that good in a largish 4 bed house? Unfortunately the modem point the Virgin cable is in 1 corner, and the office/Xbox is literally furthest possible point. 

It and similar mesh networks are designed for precisely your use case. You could always resort to running network cable around the house...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I've got a Deco mesh system in my 4 bed house and the WiFi is perfect around the house,  even when I have to use the virgin hub as a router. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes. It's what I use in a three storey house with 250mm interior walls. I use three "nodes" and i have another on the garden side that i use in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried my Virgin issued power line adapters with my new ASUS router and they work great. So I’ve plugged it in near to my Xbox and ran an Ethernet cable to it, sorted.

I’ve now now a good connection in that back corner of the house, plus a router that has good traffic management. Hopefully it remains stable. 

On 12/03/2021 at 19:50, Genie said:

Mesh networks are decent. But the new Google one has an absolute ton of issues. Do not buy it. It started with an update that came before Christmas. On Reddit there's been so much talk about it it's unreal.

I have the Google WiFi mesh system that's the previous generation. I think the newest one is called Google Nest mesh or something. Mine has generally worked with a bit of tweaking and it's been very easy to deal with on the phone and stuff, but I wouldn't buy the newest generation. You should at least be aware there are a lot of people having issues. I've read that for months and in February it wasn't fixed at least. Not sure if Google have bothered adressing it yet. Everyone said they contacted google and google said nothing was out of order, yet a HUGE amount of customers had the same problems. They lost a lot of customers at that point due to arrogance I think.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Mesh networks are decent. But the new Google one has an absolute ton of issues. Do not buy it. It started with an update that came before Christmas. On Reddit there's been so much talk about it it's unreal.

I have the Google WiFi mesh system that's the previous generation. I think the newest one is called Google Nest mesh or something. Mine has generally worked with a bit of tweaking and it's been very easy to deal with on the phone and stuff, but I wouldn't buy the newest generation. You should at least be aware there are a lot of people having issues. I've read that for months and in February it wasn't fixed at least. Not sure if Google have bothered adressing it yet. Everyone said they contacted google and google said nothing was out of order, yet a HUGE amount of customers had the same problems. They lost a lot of customers at that point due to arrogance I think.

Cheers, I seem to have a settled setup now that my power line adapters are covering the back corner of the house.

I’m downloading a game now at 150mb/s

I tried the BT mesh disks last year and they were awful so went back. As soon as I stepped out of the room where the router was the app was telling me I was too far away and needed to get closer. Pointless. The fact that they all need a plug socket is annoying too. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have a mix of both Google WiFi and Nest WiFi and no issues. I'm using it for everything, including Stadia.

But I'm not a nurse :trollface:

• 2 months later...

@Genie I am having issues with wifi not hitting parts of the house. Trying to get a Power Line Adapter from Virgin to cover the area I have issues with. How did you get yours and was there a cost to you?

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@Genie I am having issues with wifi not hitting parts of the house. Trying to get a Power Line Adapter from Virgin to cover the area I have issues with. How did you get yours and was there a cost to you?

I have the full house bundle and it was free with that.

I’d ring them and tell them you’re not happy with the router, if they try and charge you for the boosters (£5 a month I think they are) tell them you’re not happy and see if they do it free.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Got a new issue which I’m wrestling with.

My newish laptop will happily connect to the internet via wifi to my Virgin power line connector, but will not connect directly to my ASU’s router (wifi).

It seems to be connected to the router but not the internet. “This Site cannot be reached” 

673-FE194-0-A2-D-465-B-A73-B-E75-AD728-D

I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, I “forgot” them both in the settings but when I reconnect same issue.

Every other device connecting to the wifi directly without issues.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Got a new issue which I’m wrestling with.

My newish laptop will happily connect to the internet via wifi to my Virgin power line connector, but will not connect directly to my ASU’s router (wifi).

It seems to be connected to the router but not the internet. “This Site cannot be reached” 

673-FE194-0-A2-D-465-B-A73-B-E75-AD728-D

I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, I “forgot” them both in the settings but when I reconnect same issue.

Every other device connecting to the wifi directly without issues.

Very strange, ping google.com what IP is it returning?

Can you post ipconfig results from when you are on Ethernet and when you are on wifi?

EDIT:

On second thought you want not want that floating around the Internet.

Check the DNS settings when on the wifi, perhaps change them to Google’s as a test (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Edited by penguin
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, penguin said:

Very strange, ping google.com what IP is it returning?

Can you post ipconfig results from when you are on Ethernet and when you are on wifi?

EDIT:

On second thought you want not want that floating around the Internet.

Check the DNS settings when on the wifi, perhaps change them to Google’s as a test (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Cheers, that seems to have sorted it!

It was set to 10.8.8.8

Using the values above has got me connected directly via the router :thumb:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Cheers, that seems to have sorted it!

It was set to 10.8.8.8

Using the values above has got me connected directly via the router :thumb:

Great stuff. 

Its a well known fact in the IT support world that the problem is always DNS 🤣

• Haha 2

Â