Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

More than likely posted already, but I like it. also the mention of Sanson being a relentless presser, which will suit Steven " PRESS " Gerrard as well.

Also, he can escape the Ollie as out and out striker, and finally have him as a " Wide Forward " on the left with Ings central and Buendia right. I reckon that's the right way to play those 3.

Lucid Leon can hopefully work his way up to full speed, and be an impact sub, until his opportunity to arrive. Him and Buendia battling for that right side, on current form/shape, Emi starts IMO.

4 - 2 - 1 - 3 / 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 ?

Can I ask what your take is on the other dreaded Midfield positions? Who do you think he'll go for? Not sure any choice other than McGinn and Doug at the moment, but I'm not sure how you would balance it. Granted I've not seen much of Sanson.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

More than likely posted already, but I like it. also the mention of Sanson being a relentless presser, which will suit Steven " PRESS " Gerrard as well.

Also, he can escape the Ollie as out and out striker, and finally have him as a " Wide Forward " on the left with Ings central and Buendia right. I reckon that's the right way to play those 3.

Lucid Leon can hopefully work his way up to full speed, and be an impact sub, until his opportunity to arrive. Him and Buendia battling for that right side, on current form/shape, Emi starts IMO.

4 - 2 - 1 - 3 / 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 ?

They seem to set up and play like Liverpool. Full backs will be crucial. I can see us buying a new left back in the summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting in terms of that video, because it's exactly the same way we've been playing for the last couple of seasons - essentially we're looking for Gerrard to be playing a very similar system to Smith, but better.

Fair point. We’ve tried the style and system  just haven’t always pulled it off. Gerrards needs to some how get more out of the players.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Agreed. We have talent, just no ball winners.

Kamara  didn’t really seem a ball winner from what I saw yesterday. More of a link up player. He seemed quite intelligent with his movement albeit looked quite casual. I could see him getting the infamous lazy tag if he ever came to Villa.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s not a defensive midfielder at all is he?

He didn't look like it in the little bits I saw either.

Unless they reckon he can actually do both? ( Primarily box to box but can be a solid DM as well ) Versatile?

Lord know, the last thing we need is another regular CM... lol. Well unless they are a massive upgrade on our current lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Steven Gerrard at Aston Villa can spend millions of pounds on a midfielder. 

Steven Gerrard at Rangers was spending £50k on Dundee midfielders.

Why the obsession with Kamara?!

I personally had never heard of him before Gerrard took over, but folks were talking about him as one of the folks he might go back to Rangers for. I know of Kent, and from what i've seen (which again is admittedly limited) I like him. 

I think we're all clutching at straws to sweep up the turd that the Defensive Midfield Elephant in the room has laid. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Agree, he will want success at all costs and will use NWSE's bankcard like a sledgehammer. I think we could and should use a big chunk of whatever budget we have on the best player MF DM general commander captain whatever,  we can get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Its not how much they cost, its what they do....We have just spent £90 odd million on 3 players, does that not highlight the uncertainty of big money signings.

I say, just let him get on with it, he knows what he is doing.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah he's not. He's an all-rounder who's pretty OK at everything and has good lungs.

But he's playing for another team and that automatically makes him better than all of our players apparently. And since he's black he's automatically a DCM beast destroyer too. Or something lazy like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

not really, he is just a version of Luiz, Westwood style midfielder but playing in a weaker league. He wont have so much time on the ball in England

has 4 goals and 3 assists in his time at Rangers

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

not really, he is just a version of Luiz, Westwood style midfielder but playing in a weaker league. He wont have so much time on the ball in England

To be fair he didn’t seem to need much time on the ball against France either. But as mentioned by others Gerrard has money at his disposal so there’s no need for him to be raiding Rangers anyway at all.  It was just something to chat about in the mean time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree, he will want success at all costs and will use NWSE's bankcard like a sledgehammer. I think we could and should use a big chunk of whatever budget we have on the best player MF DM general commander captain whatever,  we can get.

I don't think he will, he does want success at all costs, agree with that....but I think he will keep his powder dry too, until the right players come up.

I think what we need immediately, will not cost big money....and I think he will demonstrate that, but I also think some fans, will be miffed.

We have talent in our team already, we need a different type to give that talent a platform to play off....I am sure he will know already.

It will be interesting what our  transfer targets will be now.  We did have a clear transfer policy of buying young players to then develop and add value, but this summer seemed very confused. Ings and Young certainly did not fit this remit.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kamara  didn’t really seem a ball winner from what I saw yesterday. More of a link up player. He seemed quite intelligent with his movement albeit looked quite casual. I could see him getting the infamous lazy tag if he ever came to Villa.

Yes, he's slow and looks very lazy and ponderous. He would not do well in PL.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Don't know about that. The likes of Nakamba and McGinn are better at winning the ball back than they are with it.

Well, yeah but I implicitly meant winning it back and doing something with it.  

Â