Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Targett’s position is in danger then, let’s be honest. He’s been the biggest drop in form of all the players sans-Grealish. If the full backs are important to provide all the width we need someone better.

Edited by a m ole

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

4-3-3 with a narrow front 3. Sorta like a christmas tree, I suppose you might call it a 4-3-2-1. Which probably suits us. 

Sounds ideal for Buendia. 

• Like 1

In terms of shape it's actually very similar to Dean Smith, which gives us a head start in terms of players understanding the system and knowing their roles. It'll be interesting to see the change to style that Gerrard will bring to that and how he can use small changes to make big differences.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of shape it's actually very similar to Dean Smith, which gives us a head start in terms of players understanding the system and knowing their roles.

Last season's Dean Smith shape or this season's Dean Smith shape?

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Last season's Dean Smith shape or this season's Dean Smith shape?

I think the shape Smith would have preferred to play - although last season with options he often played Barkely in a 4-2-3-1. 

For the most part though, what it means is that for most of the team they're going to be in positions they have a familiarity with and some experience at - positions that they were bought to play in. That gives the manager a starting point. He'll need to strengthen and he'll have a style that's his own, but it'll be a help I think.

46 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Guess tomorrow training starts.. gives just over a week or so to really get ideas basic across etc. Reading upon his time in Scotland it looks like he valued a tight defence, hopefully we can get that sorted asap.

With the keeper, right back and one centre back away on international duty, I think it'll be difficult to get too much into them before the Brighton game.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With the keeper, right back and one centre back away on international duty, I think it'll be difficult to get too much into them before the Brighton game.

Get the attack firing on all cylinders we do not have to worry about defence  

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

4-3-3 with a narrow front 3. Sorta like a christmas tree, I suppose you might call it a 4-3-2-1. Which probably suits us. 

Sounds like the ideal formation for this time of year. I'm not sure about it in the long run though. Come January it could looking pretty dour with bits falling off it an so on.

Anyway shit jokes out of the way. Sounds very Liverpool. It could be the perfect formation to get Buendia firing as well as Ollie and Ings playing together. Ings through the middle, Watkins and Buendia narrow on the left and right respectively. Targett will be in trouble though if he doesn't find some form. Although I would like to see a LB brought in during January to challenge him/let him regain his fitness and come back stronger.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Targett will absolutely not be able to do the job needed in a narrow 4-3-3 where the fullbacks are expected to bomb forward and create opportunities and score. Cash might.

Exactly. From what I've read, Gerrard expected his fullbacks to bring the ball forward at Rangers...not that different than what Smith expected of them, and Targett has had a hard time with it without Grealish in front of him. I will be curious to see if Gerrard plays asymmetrically, giving Cash more freedom than Targett.

After shoring up the defence, his next task will be figuring out the left side in general, not just Targett. Our attack is so right-sided. Watkins can play on the left but prefers the centre, Bailey can play on the left but prefers the right, Buendia drifts into the centre but prefers to do so from the right, Traore is exclusively right sided. Nobody wants to be on the left.

I will be curious to see what he does with Ashley Young, too.

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Exactly. From what I've read, Gerrard expected his fullbacks to bring the ball forward at Rangers...not that different than what Smith expected of them, and Targett has had a hard time with it without Grealish in front of him. I will be curious to see if Gerrard plays asymmetrically, giving Cash more freedom than Targett.

After shoring up the defence, his next task will be figuring out the left side in general, not just Targett. Our attack is so right-sided. Watkins can play on the left but prefers the centre, Bailey can play on the left but prefers the right, Buendia drifts into the centre but prefers to do so from the right, Traore is exclusively right sided. Nobody wants to be on the left.

I will be curious to see what he does with Ashley Young, too.

Young will be his first choice left back until the transfer window I think.

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the shape Smith would have preferred to play - although last season with options he often played Barkely in a 4-2-3-1. 

Although Gerrard does prefer the 4-3-3, he sometimes uses the 4-2-3-1.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

he didnt just play that though afaik?

Didnt he play a mix of 433, 4231 and the 4321 you mentioned? (depending on what was needed?)

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he didnt just play that though afaik?

Didnt he play a mix of 433, 4231 and the 4321 you mentioned? (depending on what was needed?)

From what I can tell they arrived at the 4-3-2-1 via a period of evolution. It was only really then where they finally learned how to break down the low block and the one they primarily utilised during the invincibles season and the start of this. 

Of course they may take a different approach at Villa. We will encounter the low block far less often, so perhaps they will want to play with more width, or perhaps incorporate a low block of our own at times and spring the counter. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt their style to suit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, a m ole said:

Targett’s position is in danger then, let’s be honest. He’s been the biggest drop in form of all the players sans-Grealish. If the full backs are important to provide all the width we need someone better.

I think its a combination of his summer injury, the fact that Grealish doesn't cover in front of him and a collapse in confidence.

• Like 1

Â