Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

One thing that is bugging me is the balance of the right and left-side players.

Traore, Bailey and Buendia are all naturally right-side.

I expected Bailey to play left wing for us before he joined.  I know we enjoy people cutting in, but he seems the best fit.  Would "hope for" Bailey and Philogene-Bidace to be our left options with Buendia and Traore on the right.  El Ghazi fills in where needed.

Just now, bobzy said:

Oh, I agree.  Just OP mentioned that the two strikers hadn't linked up well in open play, and I agree with that even if other elements to their game have been good.

The midfield is the issue.  We need to use McGinn more effectively up the pitch (or, he needs to get further up the pitch).  When he's bursting the ball and breaking lines, we look dangerous.  If he's not doing that, no-one else is.  Ramsey could probably do a similar role - and looks comfortable enough on the ball generally - but, whoever it is, that's what's needed.  Buendia hasn't done that well, even if he's had tidy bits of play (particularly against Wolves).  We need to have a forward runner from the midfield 3 linking with the width and the strikers.

I honestly don't think we can rely on McGinn to do that - he's so inconsistent and not good enough at passing the ball IMO. 

I totally agree with the point you're making though, we've struggled massively without a player that'll drive the ball forwards and take on opponents. The players we have to do that are Bailey, Traore and JPB, from what I can see - so we need to start them. 

Just now, lexicon said:

I honestly don't think we can rely on McGinn to do that - he's so inconsistent and not good enough at passing the ball IMO. 

I totally agree with the point you're making though, we've struggled massively without a player that'll drive the ball forwards and take on opponents. The players we have to do that are Bailey, Traore and JPB, from what I can see - so we need to start them. 

Again, agreed.  But McGinn is the only one who can be effective at doing that.  You basically outweigh his misplaced passes for his ability to hold the ball, move up the pitch and shooting ability.  Maybe Ramsey, maybe Chukwuemeka - I don't really know enough about them.  Appreciate you mentioning the wide players who can do that, but we really need someone in the middle to provide the link.  Otherwise you're playing long balls into the channels, which could work for Bailey but I can't see them doing much for any of the other players.

IMO, we're going to be most effective going forward with balls playing played into feet/through and along the ground and getting Watkins/Ings hassling people and working space in the box.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Again, agreed.  But McGinn is the only one who can be effective at doing that.  You basically outweigh his misplaced passes for his ability to hold the ball, move up the pitch and shooting ability.  Maybe Ramsey, maybe Chukwuemeka - I don't really know enough about them.  Appreciate you mentioning the wide players who can do that, but we really need someone in the middle to provide the link.  Otherwise you're playing long balls into the channels, which could work for Bailey but I can't see them doing much for any of the other players.

IMO, we're going to be most effective going forward with balls playing played into feet/through and along the ground and getting Watkins/Ings hassling people and working space in the box.

I think Bunedia might be able to do that tbh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

0_villapredictedteamwesthamutd.png

I don't mind the look of this, and think it's the best way to accommodate both Ings and Ollie as it stands as well.

( From Bham Live )

I'd be happy with seeing that but I'm not sure dropping Buendia is the right thing to do. Maybe Buendia instead of Ramsay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be happy with seeing that but I'm not sure dropping Buendia is the right thing to do. Maybe Buendia instead of Ramsay.

See I think it should be one of Ings or Watkins to make way for Buendia to go on the right with Bailey on the left. If it were up to me, I would drop Watkins which is something I never thought I’d be saying at the start of the season. I would possibly go with a midfield of McGinn, Luis and Sanson but I’m happy with Ramsey to come into the side instead of Sanson.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

See I think it should be one of Ings or Watkins to make way for Buendia to go on the right with Bailey on the left. If it were up to me, I would drop Watkins which is something I never thought I’d be saying at the start of the season. I would possibly go with a midfield of McGinn, Luis and Sanson but I’m happy with Ramsey to come into the side instead of Sanson.

I'm not against that either. One way or the other, I think it needs to be that formation with Bailey and Buendia on the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

This is exactly where I'm at also.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not against that either. One way or the other, I think it needs to be that formation with Bailey and Buendia on the pitch.

I agree, but Buendia really needs to put in a performance as he’s really struggled. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt so far as I don’t think he’s had the opportunity in his best position yet.

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I agree, but Buendia really needs to put in a performance as he’s really struggled. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt so far as I don’t think he’s had the opportunity in his best position yet.

Agreed. But I think he needs to get up to speed and he only does that by playing. I think he's struggled to come to grips with the prem with a new team, after a year out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. But I think he needs to get up to speed and he only does that by playing. I think he's struggled to come to grips with the prem with a new team, after a year out. 

I know what you’re saying, it’s just difficult as I think Traore will be chomping at the bit to get back in the side. I’m willing to give him 3 games there to at least show some improvement even if it is probably going to take until Xmas before we start seeing why he’s out record transfer.

On 26/10/2021 at 04:12, Richie k said:

Random input, havnt been following this thread much, but, anyone ever see ings and watkins link up in open play? it seems we had a plan with our singings, ie bailey and buendia, then we sold Grealish and randomly bought Ings. it seems we abandoned the original plan to accomadate  2 up front. I havnt been comfortablle with that even tho i rate Ings highly. persisting with this means putting pressure on midfield

It was a popular shout at the time, that we needed back up for Ollie.....most of us said, it was too much, to expect 38 games from a front man on his own in a relentless league and playing in an arduous position.

Maybe, we bought too well, and should have gone for Josh King or the like?

I still think Danny Ings was a good signing.....we just need to find a way of making it work.

• Like 1

I think there's an increasing agreement on the back line and midfield - just that front three where most people are settling.

For me, it'd be nice to see Buendia get a chance in his natural position on the right, with Bailey on the left - but I've got to admit, I'm struggling with which one of the front two to drop. I think I'd probably lean toward keeping Watkins as he's a bit more mobile.

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's an increasing agreement on the back line and midfield - just that front three where most people are settling.

For me, it'd be nice to see Buendia get a chance in his natural position on the right, with Bailey on the left - but I've got to admit, I'm struggling with which one of the front two to drop. I think I'd probably lean toward keeping Watkins as he's a bit more mobile.

It’s an interesting one, as I said in my earlier post it would be Watkins to be on the bench for me and I never imagined I’d be saying that back in August. That said, by the same argument that we seem to agree on with Buendia playing in his natural position, perhaps I’m being a little harsh on Ollie as he hasn’t played in the middle of a front 3 where he was so successful for us last season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

At the beginning of the season, I think most of us would have picked these 11 players (with Buendia instead of Ramsey), whether 4-3-3 with Watkins-Ings-Bailey up front and Buendia in the midfield 3, or 4-2-3-1 with Watkins-Buendia-Bailey as the 3. Ramsey has certainly complicated things, which isn't bad.

Our best players are now healthy. It's up to Deano to get the most out of them.

12 hours ago, TRO said:

It was a popular shout at the time, that we needed back up for Ollie.....most of us said, it was too much, to expect 38 games from a front man on his own in a relentless league and playing in an arduous position.

Maybe, we bought too well, and should have gone for Josh King or the like?

I still think Danny Ings was a good signing.....we just need to find a way of making it work.

It is a big ‘What if’ isn’t it? You wonder if we had gone for a definite backup striker like a Josh King, if we would’ve stuck with a 4-3-3 regardless of our injury problems we’ve had then would Ollie be on 4-5 goals by now or is his form just suffering in general?

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I too am perplexed as to what the best team is, and by that I mean all round best team......Ollie is the one out of form, out of the front  2, but some could say, he has to play through it as opposed to being rested.

Edited by TRO

If someone asked me should we go for Danny Ings , (not seeing the start we made,) I would emphatically say yes.

I still have a hunch the problems lie elsewhere as to why, they are not working.

5 at the back has to go to have success, we dont have a player good enough on the ball in the back 3 to play it. David Luiz would have been an improvement over Tuanzebe if thats what system we wanted all summer 

If we continue to play that way I would consider moving a midfielder that can pass into the back 3 Luiz has played it before in Spain but i would really prefer to scrap it

• Like 1

Â