Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I think Ings and Coutinho will get game time this month, Wolves, Leeds and Southampton are teams who will be happy taking a point off us. If McGinn isn't fit for Wolves I can see Buendia, Luiz, Kamara, Coutinho and Watkins / Ings up top. Almost more like a 4 2 3 1 or a 3 2 4 1 with Digne pushing up on left

Gerrard just made mistakes a young manage makes. His set up was ultra defensive and compromised multiple players by asking them to play roles that didn't play to their strengths. 

Digne / Cash to be key attacking players and JJ / McGinn to be defensive covering them. The narrow 10s trying to play quick passing for Watkins to finish. Slow build up play from a squad assembled for counter attacking. 

Emery came in and the way he wants to play suits the players we have. Counter attacking, McGinn and JJ in more attacking roles. Full backs not relied upon as much for chance creation. Playing 2 up top etc..

The next stage for Emery as he alluded to after the game is controlling possession more. To do that we need a Carlos in CB alongside Mings. The gulf in passing ability between Carlos and Konsa is night and day. Even then I can see Emery going big on a CB in summer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Gerrard just made mistakes a young manage makes. His set up was ultra defensive and compromised multiple players by asking them to play roles that didn't play to their strengths. 

He was afraid to lose and he set the team up that way. Never works out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Funny how many here want to move away from 4-4-2 after winning 3 in 4 in our toughest run of fixtures this season.

It’s not even a rigid 4-4-2 get your crosses in from the byline. Defending we are rigid-ish but attacking it flows and changes.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s not even a rigid 4-4-2 get your crosses in from the byline. Defending we are rigid-ish but attacking it flows and changes.

True it’s a modern 4-4-2 .I love the patterns and flexibility of it. 

• Like 1

tbh static formations are a thing of the past arent they.

Its all about how those formations/tactics adjust depending on the situation, obviously Gerrard didnt know what he was doing and only knew 2 styles, park the bus or gung-ho.

But, with Emery, the starting base is a 422, but defensively i have so far seen 442, 451, 622, 640, and probably others.

Offensively i have seen that 442 become 4222, 235, 2413, 3232, 343, 334 etc etc.

In review, basically 442 is the base and not the "match formation", Emery seems to know how to coach his players to operate in varying formation/style types depending on the opponent, whether we have the ball or not, the style we want to defend or attack etc etc.

I cant wait until we have 3-5 new players in who Emery wants specifically, we will look different again.

• Like 1

I'd say 4-2-2-2 is the base formation - but I think that kind of proves the point on our tactical fluidity - outside of the back four and Luiz/Kamara, there's a degree of flexibility and movement that for once seems to be planned rather than a chaos.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd say 4-2-2-2 is the base formation - but I think that kind of proves the point on our tactical fluidity - outside of the back four and Luiz/Kamara, there's a degree of flexibility and movement that for once seems to be planned rather than a chaos.

I agree, and what’s so so impressive is that the players seem to have bought into it so quickly. 

It must be a great as player though because even if you’re asked to do something that perhaps isn’t natural, when you win 3/4 leagues games you’re probably thinking ‘ok this guy knows what he’s doing’ 

21 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Funny how many here want to move away from 4-4-2 after winning 3 in 4 in our toughest run of fixtures this season.

It's not 442 as others have said 4222 if you want. 442 is out and out wingers. I've been banging on for using double pivot for donkeys now every podcast is talking about how good is the Kamara Luiz double pivot

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's not 442 as others have said 4222 if you want. 442 is out and out wingers. I've been banging on for using double pivot for donkeys now every podcast is talking about how good is the Kamara Luiz double pivot

It's still a 442

On 02/01/2023 at 10:51, gwi1890 said:

I think 4-4-2 is the template to work from.....its the go to, out of possession formation.

My suspicion is each game will morph from it, depending on the opposition, but it will form the basis/platform of all what we do.

I am not saying we will play 4-4-2 in possession, in most of our games......I just think it will be the back to basics formation, for us....and depending on who has the initiative, will depend on the in game formation.

I like the idea of it all. I like the flexible thinking.

Unai clearly knows his onions.....the trick is getting the players to learn it all, that will take time....but so far, they have done really well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You was right.....the frustration was before Kamara, no one could play it competently......He is our engine room, now.

I think many of us on here have barked out the same frustration.....but we have to remind ourselves, as the initiative is seized, formations morph anyway...and vice versa.

I think under Unai, its likely formations will morph, mid game, more than once.

4-4-2 doesn't necessarily mean 2 out and out wingers......It can be played with 1, in an asymmetrical style, and one attacking full back.

I think 4-4-2 is the go to formation, to work from...even if it ends up 4-2-3-1, or 4-2-2-2, depending how the dynamics of the game pan out.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think many of us on here have done.....but we have to remind ourselves, as the initiative is seized, formations morph anyway...and vice versa.

I think under Unai, its likely formations will morph, mid game.

4-4-2 doesn't necessarily mean 2 out and out wingers......It can be played with 1, in an asymmetrical style, and one attacking full back.

Bailey is playing 2nd striker and dropping back so it's 424 4231 442 or whatever anyone wants to call it. It's not 442 with 2 speedy wingers hugging the sideline like some have begged for a return to 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bailey is playing 2nd striker and dropping back so it's 424 4231 442 or whatever anyone wants to call it. It's not 442 with 2 speedy wingers hugging the sideline like some have begged for a return to 

Yes, I agree.

I don't think there will be one formation with Unai, he wil be flexible as to who we are playing......but I do think we will use 4-4-2 out of possession, quite often.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbh static formations are a thing of the past arent they.

Its all about how those formations/tactics adjust depending on the situation, obviously Gerrard didnt know what he was doing and only knew 2 styles, park the bus or gung-ho.

But, with Emery, the starting base is a 422, but defensively i have so far seen 442, 451, 622, 640, and probably others.

Offensively i have seen that 442 become 4222, 235, 2413, 3232, 343, 334 etc etc.

In review, basically 442 is the base and not the "match formation", Emery seems to know how to coach his players to operate in varying formation/style types depending on the opponent, whether we have the ball or not, the style we want to defend or attack etc etc.

I cant wait until we have 3-5 new players in who Emery wants specifically, we will look different again.

Spot On.

Â