Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Should be indeed. I always found it a strange signing and I’ve not been overly impressed with what I’ve seen.

Hopefully he does well because we need him to!

In all fairness he came in at a very difficult time and I suspect was not fully fit when he did. Having watched a number of his games for his previous employer he was mustard.. Definitely a quality footballer. 14 million for the end of the season will seem like the best piece of business we’ve done in years I’m sure

Just now, Follyfoot said:

In all fairness he came in at a very difficult time and I suspect was not fully fit when he did. Having watched a number of his games for his previous employer he was mustard.. Definitely a quality footballer. 14 million for the end of the season will seem like the best piece of business we’ve done in years I’m sure

But he isn't used to playing in a 2 man midfield I reckon.

Could be issues here if Smith doesn't change to 4-3-3

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seem like a lot of people in here are resting their hopes on this guy.

well even from what little we've seen he's better than ramsey and marvelous. so we know he's going to improve us

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

well even from what little we've seen he's better than ramsey and marvelous. so we know he's going to improve us

One guy can't solve this problem.

This is a collective problem. It's not down to 1 or 2 players. The system is wrong and the formation is wrong.

Smith needs to revert back to what he knows best which is 4-3-3. Need to grow a pair and drop either Ings or Watkins

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This is a collective problem. It's not down to 1 or 2 players. The system is wrong and the formation is wrong.

Smith needs to revert back to what he knows best which is 4-3-3. Need to grow a pair and drop either Ings or Watkins

genuinely curious to know what your starting 11 would be next week if you feel that either ings or watkins should be benched

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Watkins wasn’t playing yesterday….

10 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I’ll explain my thinking here. 

Look we all know where the issue is. Midfield. More specifically Defensive Midfield. Having the three centre backs gives us a supernumerary. We play the best ball player of the 3 main CBs- Axel, Mings and Konsa in the centre, giving him license to step out of defence to lay it off to one of Luiz or Mcginn in a CM position but their main role would be defensive. Essentially it would be like having an extreme defensive DM, but would allow us to use the personnel we have. It would free up the midfield from part of their defensive duty, as we’ll have the spare man, plus limit the damage from lack of protection.

In addition we can field full backs who are perhaps more on the attacking side, either Cash and Targett, or Cash and Young. Being wingbacks both limits their need to be defensive (although they will still partly fulfil that role), and again limits the damage if they are compromised, since the spare CB can cover. 

The starting position of the wing backs further forward would allow them to link the defence and midfield, and also provide width. 

Two up top would allow ings and ollie to both play, and we could have two behind in the form of Buendia and Bailey who could take up wide or central positions depending on the situation.

We sacrifice some of our attacking width by not operating inside forwards, but at least we wouldn’t get battered defensively.

Alternatively we buy a Defensive Midfielder.

That would be interesting to see. Hadn't thought of playing both Bailey and Buendia in an offensive 2 like that.  Could well work, and a nice option to have while Luiz and Sanson are still out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You know when you get the impression people lose their heads about imaginary things. Then you see a post like this and you think, 'Yep, there it is.' 

Disclaimer: although it hasn't happened yet in our one game where they didn't play together, I fully expect they will start together soon. But that's not my point. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

Clearly AEG and Young playing yesterday weakened us, that was obvious before the game started, and you would expect Bailey and Traore or Ollie to come in for the next game. 

I worry for Smith though. Watford are one of my picks to be down there at the end of the season and I haven't changed my opinion after yesterday. Yet they thoroughly outplayed us and deserved to win. 

He has always relied on Grealish ever since he became our manager nearly 3 years ago - even in the Champ he couldn't buy a win without him. And while Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn are good squad players, the fact he still hasn't invested in the CM area since we got promoted (other than on a permanently injured Sanson) is absolutely ridiculous. We have £100m from the sale of Grealish, we could quite feasibly go out and spend £40-50m on a really top player in that position but the vibes I'm getting are we're happy with what we've got. Brainless mentality. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

In which premier league game has he played both? I understand you’re trolling and I’m biting but at least put some effort in. 

I know it hasn't happened yet. 

But this scenario is what we're discussing.

Watkins just had a little knock he is very likely to be back against Newcastle.

We saw direct evidence against Watford that a 2 man midfield doesn't work.

22 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Strange when they've never played together. 

Yet.

But we saw direct evidence that a 2 man midfield won't work so what happens when Watkins return?

Smith has already said he didn't bring Watkins to play out wide

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Clearly AEG and Young playing yesterday weakened us, that was obvious before the game started, and you would expect Bailey and Traore or Ollie to come in for the next game. 

I worry for Smith though. Watford are one of my picks to be down there at the end of the season and I haven't changed my opinion after yesterday. Yet they thoroughly outplayed us and deserved to win. 

He has always relied on Grealish ever since he became our manager nearly 3 years ago - even in the Champ he couldn't buy a win without him. And while Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn are good squad players, the fact he still hasn't invested in the CM area since we got promoted (other than on a permanently injured Sanson) is absolutely ridiculous. We have £100m from the sale of Grealish, we could quite feasibly go out and spend £40-50m on a really top player in that position but the vibes I'm getting are we're happy with what we've got. Brainless mentality. 

Completely agreed.

the back 5 is arguably top 6 quality as could the forward line if the players click. But the midfield is comfortably bottom half 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What's your take on Leeds getting relegated? Thinking of putting a bet on. I think they're a busted flush but I know you love Bielsa and his bucket so looking for advice. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The thing is though I am fully convinced Buendia can do that Grealish role but on the right.

Will be Smith's own downfall if he keeps playing him centrally.

If he reverts back to 4-3-3 next game I will be totally back onboard with that. But if he keeps persisting with this 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 project I think we are in for a rough season. Really rough season.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

The thing is though I am fully convinced Buendia can do that Grealish role but on the right.

Will be Smith's own downfall if he keeps playing him centrally.

If he reverts back to 4-3-3 next game I will be totally back onboard with that. But if he keeps persisting with this 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 project I think we are in for a rough season. Really rough season.

Buendia did always play on the right for Norwich that's true. We seem to have an overabundance of RWs now (Traore, Bailey, Buendia, JPB) but very few LWs - and Smith decided to play our only LW (AEG) on the right yesterday. If he plays Buendia on the right then he'll have to play Bailey on the left which is where he played yesterday. Young is a backup LB and shouldn't be playing on the wing for us ever again. He's 36 now not 26.

4-4-2 would be a major mistake so he either has to play Ollie out wide or rotate between Ollie and Ings. But if he plays Ollie out wide then where does Bailey play? It's all a mystery currently.

4-3-3 makes sense but he needs to go and invest in that central area. We have Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Nakamba and Ramsey - and you wouldn't say any of them would be the envy of any of the top 6 clubs. For me they can all do a job but none of them are outstanding.

Leicester have invested heavily in that area with Ndidi, Tielemans, Soumare. Spuds similar with Hojberg. Even Arse threw £45m at Partey (the sort of player we need). Why can't we sign a big player in this area? We have the funds. 

He has to get it right for the next 2 home games because we need to be winning both of them.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We seem to have an overabundance of RWs now (Traore, Bailey, Buendia, JPB) but very few LWs

I know.

Been thinking about it lately.

It's very odd.

We signed a bunch of talented players but we'll be forced to play them in unnatural positions.

Â