Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Watkins/Ings

Bailey                      Buendia/Traore

McGinn      Sanson

Luiz

-Back 5-

Think this is our best side as it stands. Guess we still have time to improve it by signing a couple of more players.

I agree with this. We shouldn’t shoehorn in all our attacking players and change shape just to accommodate. 

I posted in the transfer thread but this is the same as I’d play, but ideally with a strong player in there over McGinn that can keep the ball like JWP. 

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We should just try to emulate Liverpool.

They play the football, formation and system that is closest to my heart.

What's your lineup then from whose available that can play KloppBall (I'm telling Bielsa about this btw)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, quazzie goat said:

I agree with this. We shouldn’t shoehorn in all our attacking players and change shape just to accommodate. 

I posted in the transfer thread but this is the same as I’d play, but ideally with a strong player in there over McGinn that can keep the ball like JWP. 

I should be there too but I'm like a kid at christmas with all these new presents.

29 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Post match interview on Twitter:

He knows. He could have made excuses, team needs a couple of games, Grealish leaving, new players blah blah. But he knows what is expected this season, and it's not a struggle or digression.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

What's your lineup then from whose available that can play KloppBall (I'm telling Bielsa about this btw)

Possibly this

Martinez, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Nakamba, Mcginn, Ramsey, Bailey, Buendia, Watkins 

Yes benching Ings very controversial I know. Watkins just offers more for me. 

As for Ramsey ahead of Sanson. Ramsey impressed me today and Sanson is nowhere near match fit 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Possibly this

Martinez, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Nakamba, Mcginn, Ramsey, Bailey, Buendia, Watkins 

Yep, It's all about the midfield, back 5 are sorted. Front 3 will establish themselves (many options now).

I'd spend big and get the right MF if getable but I can see Purslow saying we have Sanson and Luiz back soon so wait till January.

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

This^ obviously the lineup wasn’t ideal but he made plenty of changes and things finally improved second half. Should be given credit for that considering how much flak he gets for not making enough changes.

On the other hand, that first half was so bad it was kind of hard not to improve on it. He deserves credit for making changes yes but it's kind of the bare minimum to expect considering how badly we were being overrun.

I remember an argument a couple of years ago in this thread about how Smith deserved credit for subbing in a player who a lot of us felt should've started to begin with(can't remember who) and helped us win the game. Instead of being credited for fixing a mistake, I'd rather him not make the mistake in the first place.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Not concerned at all. 

Targett was considered by most here to be our most improved player last season and on the fringes of a call up to the England squad.  

He looked off the pace today, and he got the quick hook - something that many here have been negatively vocal about Deano’s reluctance to do so. I’d be more concerned if we were shut out… both of their first two goals we got the block in and were unlucky, especially the second.  Happy with how we responded in the second half, and happy dean recognized our tactical errors in the set up and fixed them.

Will be interesting to see who he goes with at LB going forward…. 

• Like 4

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Ings is a real problem for Smith. And it might be his downfall. 

I've been thinking the same thing. 

He isn't gonna bench either Watkins or Ings realistically and then we are probably looking at a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 system with this 2 man midfield issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I've been thinking the same thing. 

He isn't gonna bench either Watkins or Ings realistically and then we are probably looking at a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 system with this 2 man midfield issue.

Yeah I feel he's going to put square pegs in round holes to break it down to its simplest issue. Our best play for the last 18 months (& 2nd half today) has been playing 433. We need to stick to our strengths. That would involve benching one of the strikers which I don't think he will do.

It puts alot of pressure on the new system to work. I really hope if he does that it comes good for him, as we all just want the club to do well, but without new centre mids I can't see either 4231 or 442 being a success.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Doesn't fit any of our best formations currently. We either have to field him out of position or field a weak midfield to fit him in.

I think he fits a 4-3-3 just fine.

Would be mean moving Watkins out to an inside foward on the left, with Bailey on the right.

Then a midfield 3 of McGinn, NEW, Buendia. 

Pretty much try to emulate how Liverpool play.

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Would be mean moving Watkins out to an inside foward on the left, with Bailey on the right.

That new midfielder better be Viera via time machine!

Watkins playing wider is a worse solution than Ings. Watkins has been the out ball & the defence stretcher. He can hold the ball up as well as any CF in the prem. Ings can't do that. Plus Watkins is a bit headless on the ball out wide. He's like a better Agbonlahor... better control and finishing, but same lack of deft or creativity needed in thosr wider roles. 

So I think you'd have both players in suboptimal positions 

Edited by ejvilla

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is what we need. Nakamba isn't good enough to be that New, so we absolutely have to sign a bissouma type to sit alongside McGinn. It unlocks his formation for us. Without that player, we're in trouble when Watkins and Ings are both fit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

This is what we need. Nakamba isn't good enough to be that New, so we absolutely have to sign a bissouma type to sit alongside McGinn. It unlocks his formation for us. Without that player, we're in trouble when Watkins and Ings are both fit.

This.

Â