Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t know when everyone got so hung up on numbers to describe where and how a player plays. It seems a recent thing…

Starting positions are what they are, when the game starts players positions morph with the dynamics of the game.....hence the shout, " get back in position"....players move about.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t know when everyone got so hung up on numbers to describe where and how a player plays. It seems a recent thing…

I think its more for reference, to describe a comment.

If you say a 6, 8 or 10.....all midfielders but different applications, it sometimes makes it easier to explain any reasoning....numbers are not set in tablets of stone, just indicators.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Starting positions are what they are, when the game starts players positions morph with the dynamics of the game.....hence the shout, " get back in position"....players move about.

Exactly. Klopp says he plays a back 4 for a base structure and the rest is fluid.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 15:36, AV82 said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate exactly where we've come from and where we are right now?

In fairness, that team did very well to keep the score down to 4-0 for that game against Arsenal. I would have expected more of a hammering seeing that lineup. A Giroud hattrick and a Bunn og. 

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Exactly. Klopp says he plays a back 4 for a base structure and the rest is fluid.

precisely.

It has to be fluid, too many things happen in a game at break neck speed, to be rigid.

Edited by TRO

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its more for reference, to describe a comment.

If you say a 6, 8 or 10.....all midfielders but different applications, it sometimes makes it easier to explain any reasoning....numbers are not set in tablets of stone, just indicators.

I agree, they aren’t set in stone. Players move fluidly, or at least the good ones do, during a game. I just noticed that people used to say DM instead of a 6 or AMC or ‘second striker’ instead of 10… I just wondered what caused the change. 

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree, they aren’t set in stone. Players move fluidly, or at least the good ones do, during a game. I just noticed that people used to say DM instead of a 6 or AMC or ‘second striker’ instead of 10… I just wondered what caused the change. 

I think its folks personal preference of terminology.

We need to play 4-3-3. Usual GK and back 4 (although you could make a strong case for Young at either full back). A front 3 of Bailey, Ollie and Buendia. A midfield three with two holders (still to be procured) and SJM playing as the link man. 
That leaves us a problem as Ings doesn’t get in but so be it. If we try and shoehorn people in we will continue to be rubbish.

That means we need to buy two centre mids. I would buy Cheick and a left sided version of him. We then have balance and a solid spine. It won’t happen and Smith will continue to show horn his favourite players in and it will ultimately lead to his demise.

Ollie

Ings                             

Emi2                                                 Bailey

Mcginn                                   

Luiz

Targs              Mings             Konza               Cash

Emi

Emi - Stop messing about and be on it every minute, same as last year plus 10%.

Mings no more long balls as it's a losing bet, you're not a good enough passer, keep it simple.

Konza - concentrate kid.

Cash and Targs the honeymoons over, do your thing.

Luiz builds it and controls the pace of the game, SJM work you're bollox off and keep it simple.

Emi2 sublime passer with Ings sublime movement off the ball.

Bailey = Usain Bolt with skills, go for it.

Ollie - Same as last year + 20% and don't be so unlucky.

Deano - Be nasty.

PS..... Dougie get back to work ASAP and be bloody good, same as last year plus 30%.

NSWE - Keep your eyes on them lads, push the buggers hard.

Watkins/Ings

Bailey                      Buendia/Traore

McGinn      Sanson

Luiz

-Back 5-

Think this is our best side as it stands. Guess we still have time to improve it by signing a couple of more players.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Ollie

Ings                             

Emi2                                                 Bailey

Mcginn                                   

Luiz

Targs              Mings             Konza               Cash

Emi

Emi - Stop messing about and be on it every minute, same as last year plus 10%.

Mings no more long balls as it's a losing bet, you're not a good enough passer, keep it simple.

Konza - concentrate kid.

Cash and Targs the honeymoons over, do your thing.

Luiz builds it and controls the pace of the game, SJM work you're bollox off and keep it simple.

Emi2 sublime passer with Ings sublime movement off the ball.

Bailey = Usain Bolt with skills, go for it.

Ollie - Same as last year + 20% and don't be so unlucky.

Deano - Be nasty.

PS..... Dougie get back to work ASAP and be bloody good, same as last year plus 30%.

NSWE - Keep your eyes on them lads, push the buggers hard.

2 man midfield

ugh

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Well its an adaptable 2, Emi and Leon must be a part of MF and attack as the game flows. TBH, I'd rather we find a top MF and have a solid 3.

We should just try to emulate Liverpool.

They play the football, formation and system that is closest to my heart.

Â