Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB_LAxz-hZ4

20 seconds in

Smith on our team shape and where our signings fit in.

tldr: He wants the flexibility to play different ways and these signings give him that strength.

but he is also adamant that Ollie plays down the middle.....its reported him saying his best season for Brentford was a central striker and thats what I brought him to the club to do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

What we'd give for Gana now... the rest of that lineup though.. no surprise he was shit for us back then. 

no surpise he scarpered.

On 10/08/2021 at 11:45, Kiwivillan said:

The central pairing we beat Liverpool 7-2 with amongst other games?

We could have played that game without a goalkeeper😀

don't bank on that too much.

On 09/08/2021 at 00:14, KentVillan said:

It's just an educated guess, probably isn't it? Take a few things you've heard Smith say about Watkins and Ings, look at the pre-season lineups, etc. There are only so many ways of setting up a football team.

I think we will try 4-4-2 because Shakespeare is a fan of a 4-4-2. But it'll be a "modern" 4-4-2, with very disciplined pressing from front to back - not the old, long ball, quick man / big man 4-4-2 from the 90s. Alex Ferguson's later version of 4-4-2 used to turn into 4-5-1 defensively, with Rooney tucking back as a winger, and I could see Watkins or Ings being asked to do that.

There's a really interesting piece here about the rise of the 4-4-2 in Spain https://betweentheposts.net/laliga-revolt-4-4-2-formation-corona-covid-restart/

We often played a 4-4-1-1 last season, with Barkley as second striker. A more aggressive presser like Ings could make that look more coherent.

Let's see. Smith has the resources now to vary our formation more often from game to game. Should be interesting.

Formations, like many things, they have a shelf life.....Its not so much "old" or "modern" in the context......its fashion, its trends its moving away from what others do to counter the status quo....outdated things in football are often regurgitated as new thinking, it happens in mature industries or sports...e.g.Pep is a great coach, but I doubt all his musings are intrinsic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

What we'd give for Gana now... the rest of that lineup though.. no surprise he was shit for us back then. 

Available apparently after PSG’s summer of fun

On 08/08/2021 at 23:33, AvfcRigo82 said:

Interesting...  And yet we've had tonnes of posters shutting down others for months when anyone dare mentioned signing another striker.

"We DoN't NeEd AnOtHeR sTrIkEr"

"We'Re NoT sIgNiNg A sTrIkEr To RePlAcE OlLiE wHo We OnLy SpEnT £xx AmOuNt On LaSt SeAsOn"

"We'Re NoT pUsHiNg OlLiE tO tHe BeNcH"

"OlLiE iS NoT gOiNg To PlAy OuT wIdE To AcCoMmOdAtE aNoThEr StRiKeR tHaT wE dOn'T nEeD"

And yet who would of thought... We could actually play two strikers together!!  Remarkable.

I have always felt 2 strikers are perfectly normal.....Each squad in the Prem' will play a system that suites their personnel best......Results is a huge tell tale sign, as to what formation is right, but that has to be accompanied with all the players " at it"...giving 8/10.

for me, 2 strikers helps make the balance right, but I accept when you come up against a top side with a strong midfield adjustments have to be made.

I suspect this season, that we will be more tactical, in how we set up against opponents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have always felt 2 strikers are perfectly normal.....Each squad in the Prem' will play a system that suites their personnel best......Results is a huge tell tale sign, as to what formation is right, but that has to be accompanied with all the players " at it"...giving 8/10.

for me, 2 strikers helps make the balance right, but I accept when you come up against a top side with a strong midfield adjustments have to be made.

I suspect this season, that we will be more tactical, in how we set up against opponents.

Spot on Paul.

• Thanks 1

If he have plans to put Ings in the Barkley role I reckon our defence and Emi will be overworked again.

We'll see how it goes but I think it will pan out similar to last season. 

Not a big believer in playing 2 up front. I think games are won and lost in midfield.

It might give us some good moments like last season but over a season I can't see us making Europe with such an unbalanced midfield.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If he have plans to put Ings in the Barkley role I reckon our defence and Emi will be overworked again.

Not a big believer in playing 2 up front. I think games are won and lost in midfield.

It might give us some good moments like last season but over a season I can't see us making Europe with such an unbalanced midfield.

Image result for roy kent gif

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Every department is crucial.....but the engine room, is what it is.

Its central to controlling games....if we want to finish half way and play smash and grab to get results, its ok....if we want European football, midfield needs to be stronger., more durable and more athletic.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I just think Danny Ings is this season's Barkley. Just a much better player

Injured for half a season and drugged up on sleeping pills for the rest of it? 😀

but seriously, who’s gonna play LW in this case? Bailey?

On 11/08/2021 at 15:36, AV82 said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate exactly where we've come from and where we are right now?

The funny thing was there was shock abound when relegation was confirmed. It’s easy with the blinkers on, i was the same at the time. I mean just look at that. Wouldn’t put that out in league 1.

On 11/08/2021 at 15:36, AV82 said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate exactly where we've come from and where we are right now?

Aaaah Bacuna "I want to leave Villa to play in the CL"....ends up in the lower end of the Champ.

Lescott "I have the tools to send mocking pics to fans in my trouser pocket".

Sinclair "my numbers look OK in Scoltand - cus it's barely Champ level"

Gana "I'm actually boss mode you will see" - and he was.

Veretout, Amavi "we are top players but Villa prefer Zidanewood and Crapokho.

What a state we were in.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Every department is crucial.....but the engine room, is what it is.

Its central to controlling games....if we want to finish half way and play smash and grab to get results, its ok....if we want European football, midfield needs to be stronger., more durable and more athletic.

We've signed Bailey, Buendia and Sanson will be like another new signing. Midfield is without a doubt stronger now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Aaaah Bacuna "I want to leave Villa to play in the CL"....ends up in the lower end of the Champ.

Lescott "I have the tools to send mocking pics to fans in my trouser pocket".

Sinclair "my numbers look OK in Scoltand - cus it's barely Champ level"

Gana "I'm actually boss mode you will see" - and he was.

Veretout, Amavi "we are top players but Villa prefer Zidanewood and Crapokho.

What a state we were in.

At second time of asking Veretout and Amavi aren't good enough for the PL still. And probably never were

Â