Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I think both Ings and Watkins can do the number 10 role. Both of them are happy to drop and are comfortable on the bell as well as put a shift in. They’ll be a lot more effective than Barkley was anyway! 

However I would prefer us to play 3 midfielders and potentially push Watkins wide. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think both Ings and Watkins can do the number 10 role. Both of them are happy to drop and are comfortable on the bell as well as put a shift in. They’ll be a lot more effective than Barkley was anyway! 

However I would prefer us to play 3 midfielders and potentially push Watkins wide. 

Sometimes I think it's better to just say attackers and not focus on forward vs midfielder labels

• Like 1

With these signings theres so many ways we can line up attackers  in a 433 or 4231

Watkins Ings Buendia 

Bailey Ings Traore

Ings Watkins  Traore

...............Ings

Watkins Buendia Bailey 

...............Watkins 

Bailey Ings Buendia 

And so on and so on .. and thats not even including El Ghazi Bidace and Chukwuemeka or possibly McGinn in the same role he plays for scotland nearly as a 10 

I think there are similarities between Che Adams and Ollie but Ollie is much better and that Adams/Ings partnership worked well at Southampton, we have limitless options this season keeping things fresh with rotation and different formations will help us.  Traore ,Watkins, Bailey, Buendia, Ings and Elghazi is some depth in forwad positions also means we can field a half decent cup team

Not really a team shape discussion point, more on personnel and didn't know where to put it. 

As it stands we only have 22 players to register for our 25 man squad. When you consider that 22 includes Wesley and Hourihane (half way out the door) and then Davis and Trezeguet (no point registering before January), we surely need to bring in a fair few players still? There's even still links to El Ghazi leaving and more of our best youngsters - who I assumed would make up for our small squad - are queuing up to leave on loan 

26 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Not really a team shape discussion point, more on personnel and didn't know where to put it. 

As it stands we only have 22 players to register for our 25 man squad. When you consider that 22 includes Wesley and Hourihane (half way out the door) and then Davis and Trezeguet (no point registering before January), we surely need to bring in a fair few players still? There's even still links to El Ghazi leaving and more of our best youngsters - who I assumed would make up for our small squad - are queuing up to leave on loan 

Well, you don't HAVE to register 25 players, that's the maximum.

We can register less senior players and complement it with few youngsters (chuck, jpb for example) who don't count towards the 25 limit anyway.

We need to be a lean and mean machine, no need to bloat the squad unnecessarily ( although couple more incomings are necessary, including CB cover).

Edited by Czarnikjak

Think for our first game, it'll be something like this:

Watkins

El Ghazi     Ings    Buendia               

McGinn   Nakamba

The usual back 5.

Bailey not had any time with the squad, Traore and Sanson coming back from injury, and Luiz having his post season break.

Ings and Watkins can interchange.

Bailey coming off the bench. 

Highlights how short we are in terms of depth thanks to injuries and international fixtures.  We're going to be limited at various points this season with Traore, Nakamba, Bailey all missing significant chunks thanks to qualifiers and ACoNs.

Ings is not someone you play behind the striker. He's a goalscorer, it's what he's best at. Watkins has at least got experience out on the left so I think that's where he'll play now for the most part.

I still can't help but think we're sorely missing a dedicated left winger.

3 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

I still can't help but think we're sorely missing a dedicated left winger.

We don't play dedicated left wingers. We play inside forwards. Grealish wasn't a dedicated left winger

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

We don't play dedicated left wingers. We play inside forwards. Grealish wasn't a dedicated left winger

when i say left winger i mean position-wise. i know their roles are inside forwards. i just don't think watkins has the range of passing or creativity i want in that position.

1 minute ago, abdomlahor said:

when i say left winger i mean position-wise. i know their roles are inside forwards. i just don't think watkins has the range of passing or creativity i want in that position.

We have Bailey and El Ghazi can play left. I don't understand who this dedicated left winger we need is unless you mean Keir Starmer

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We have Bailey and El Ghazi can play left. I don't understand who this dedicated left winger we need is unless you mean Keir Starmer

if we're playing with inside forwards, bailey will be on the right. el ghazi isn't good enough to start every week. i just think having someone like cantwell (or someone like that) would really complete the rebuild up front.

Danny Ings won't be playing behind the striker and I just don't see Smith going to a 442 or something, he's never gone that route. 

I'm almost certain we're looking at - 
                                                                      Bailey - Buendia - Watkins
                                                                                       Ings

Watkins played that role under Smith at Brentford so he'd be used to it. I wasn't keen on the idea of moving Watkins wide, especially for Tammy, but when it's Danny Ings I'm far more accepting. There's so much energy in that front 4, can't wait to see them play together. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

el ghazi isn't good enough to start every week.

Agreed. He's a Premier League player, but only barely. We didn't sign all these new forwards/attacking midfielders to start El Ghazi.

I think you can see some of their thinking here. If they go 4-2-3-1 most of the time...

We know who the starting 4 are. If Mings or Konsa gets hurt or needs a break, substitute Hause. If Cash gets hurt, move Konsa over and sub Hause. If Targett gets hurt, sub Young.

As for the 2, as I just posted elsewhere, I think Deano will rotate Sanson, Dougie, and McGinn.

You have many options for the 3 and the 1. How they accommodate both Watkins and Ings is going to be the interesting part. They will probably do some rotating to keep players fresh. I can see any of these given that Bailey can play left or right...

Watkins - Buendia - Bailey in the 3 with Ings up front. (Sub Trarore for Bailey and/or Wesley for Ings if they're hurt or need a rest.)

Young - Buendia - Bailey with Watkins or Ings up front. 

Bailey - Buendia - Traore with Watkins or Ings up front.

When you realize that none of these options take into account JPB, Chewey, or Ramsey, and that we might still sign another player or two, you realize that we have a pretty deep squad now. Maybe Chewey will sub on for Buendia late in games when the result is not in question?

Meanwhile, I see El Ghazi, Trezeguet, and maybe even Nakamba becoming marginal players.

3 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Well, you don't HAVE to register 25 players, that's the maximum.

We can register less senior players and complement it with few youngsters (chuck, jpb for example) who don't count towards the 25 limit anyway.

We need to be a lean and mean machine, no need to bloat the squad unnecessarily ( although couple more incomings are necessary, including CB cover).

Nah, we need 25 grown ups in the squad to provide a strong bench and cover for injuries. No point in deliberately maintaining a sub par squad.

Â