Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I don't see us as being defensively solid, when we lose possession the opposition are running straight through us.

The keeper kept the score down on Saturday but let's not forget that Bournemouth had some good chances that were either saved or they didn't have the quality to finish them.

I agree, In the first half an hour we could have been 3 down. They didn't take their chances but they ran through us a couple of times with ease, we got a little more solid from that point on though

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate Conte has signed older players than us, it's not that black and white, you need a good mix of quality, experience and youth 

I agree! Just saying that older players on high wages can be more difficult to shift.

Conte loves experienced players, the clubs he works for tend to be left with a small legion of them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, imagine a prime Vlaar and Benteke in this squad we have now? ( Instead of a Konsa / Ollie Watkins )

The rest might have been dross, but those two were huge!

See, I'll say again, we have a good " squad " that is unbalanced. If we had a couple of real standout players it would make a difference.

Notably in a game like yesterday, prime Benteke smacks a couple of those defenders off and scores out of nothing.

Vlaar drives one of his runs and scores with a powerful shot.

We really need someone to step up, we need a powerful game changer in matches like that when it's not going well.

This is what I expected the " Captain " to try to do , and it's what I've said I've at least see Tyrone try to do.

Or a Jack Grealish.

I thought we were moving away from individual players who could provide moments of brilliance and are trying to build a strong squad. The problem with this approach (shouldn't be a problem actually) is that the squad needs to be well-coached to see the benefits of it. Relying on individual brilliance is a sign of a lack of work on the training pitch (a la Steve Bruce).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate Conte has signed older players than us, it's not that black and white, you need a good mix of quality, experience and youth 

Except Perisic and the back up goalkeeper all his signings are under 28

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

It looks like he signs the players he needs and will improve the side rather than having weird stipulations about age - which makes a lot of sense.

I think SGs line up on Sat was absolutely awful. 4 players out of that team for next week's game. Out = Konsa, Mcginn, Ramsey and Coutinho. In = Ming's, Tim, Buendia  and Luiz. Tim is ready to start next to Kamara IMO.....My team would be 4231

Martinez.      

Cash.        Diego.         Ming's.        Digne.  

Kamara.        Tim.

Bailey      Buendia.                   Luiz

Watkins

Lots of pressing and energy in that team as well as width. Watkins or Archer up top for me!

1 hour ago, a-k said:

What about the way Spurs play? OK it's 3 at the back again, but could/suit us quite well?

Martinez

Carlos Chambers Mings

Cash Kamara Luiz Digne

Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Cash or Digne isnt good enough for me in attack to play wing back

Bailey would have go on one flank like Spurs do

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Our only signings over 28 are Digne Coutinho and Carlos. Lol

Two of them were actually 28 at the time we signed them, and we have a plethora of youngsters in the squad.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I thought we were moving away from individual players who could provide moments of brilliance and are trying to build a strong squad. The problem with this approach (shouldn't be a problem actually) is that the squad needs to be well-coached to see the benefits of it. Relying on individual brilliance is a sign of a lack of work on the training pitch (a la Steve Bruce).

Yes of course that's totally what we should be doing.

The problem is, we seem to be the antithesis of this.

We hardly have ONE player who has an off day, it seems when one of them are bad, the whole team is bad, for some reason.

Al I meant was on a day when things are off, one or two players who drag you to a result is useful.

In our most recent past, that has been the likes of McGinn, Jack and Mings IMO.

Doesn't necessarily mean we need to sign these, but we need some of our " leaders " to stand up and be counted in these times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Two of them were actually 28 at the time we signed them, and we have a plethora of youngsters in the squad.

Olsen, Augustinsson

Only signing he has made under 28 is Kamara compared to Spurs with Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison, Bissouma, Lenglet, Romero who they made permanent and Djed Spence

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I see a clear distinction, in the way we play, by who we play......its not good and I am not condoning it.....but I see it.

That game yesterday WAS on the cards, We simply have no answer to the way they played.....sad as it is, its there.

Also The 5 game losing run under Dean last season, featured 4 of the same teams under SG's 5 game losing run at the back end of the season.

The point I am trying to make is...certain types of styles of play and we are pants.....There is still a lot of work to do on our team, but we have ensure, we buy the right type of players to fix it......don't have to be marquee signings, just players who can give us something different.

I think Newcastle and West Ham have done it well.

Though we have a massive squad with all sorts of different players, we know a lot of the those players are European quality, and so a decent manager should be able to be tactically aware enough to use the right players and right formation and right tactics depending on the opponents to outwit them.  Especially when we play a championship level team.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Olsen, Augustinsson

Only signing he has made under 28 is Kamara compared to Spurs with Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison, Bissouma, Lenglet, Romero who they made permanent and Djed Spence

Whilst true, our team was amongst the youngest average age in the league last season. We needed some decent older players as Young and Olsen (whos a sub) were orlur only over 30's and shouldnt be starting in our 11.

Our starting lineup now has a much more normal average age that would typically result in a better team. 28 seems to be the sweet spot around which you'll find Chelsea, Liverpool, man city and United (Arsenal an outlier).

If Gerrard sorts the shape and tactics out it might make a difference, but his signings aren't really a stick to beat him with at the moment... plenty of other options for that. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What do we think will be happening at the training ground today?

Bollocking for everyone? Arm around the shoulder? Looking at different tactical options? Lots of warcrys and fighting?

McGinn dressing like a chicken to cheer up the staff 

Then some weekly analysis of the Liverpool game to compare our style of play to each other

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That means a lot.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What do we think will be happening at the training ground today?

Bollocking for everyone? Arm around the shoulder? Looking at different tactical options? Lots of warcrys and fighting?

8VjLWZW.gif

What if we play a back 5? Don’t think this would be bad and might free up the wingbacks to provide a bit of attacking threat and maybe two strikers in the box to get on the end of crosses? 

Martinez 

Konsa     Mings    Carlos 

cash                                      Digne 

Kamara mcginn 

Buendia 

Ings               Watkins 

could swap konsa & mcginn for chambers and luiz and might give archer more opportunity of the bench. Think this time of formation might suit our current crop of players more than what we’ve been playing 

Â