Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I was just watching Wenger and he said you have your favourite formation and you pick the players that will suit it in order to get the best out of those players. we have not seen the best of  Buendia or Watkins because the formation doesnt suit them. I don't think its anything to do with form with watkins.  You put him back as the lone striker and watch him go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I was just watching Wenger and he said you have your favourite formation and you pick the players that will suit it in order to get the best out of those players. we have not seen the best of  Buendia or Watkins because the formation doesnt suit them. I don't think its anything to do with form with watkins.  You put him back as the lone striker and watch him go. 

I think you’re right here but he looks knackered, he needs a rest but we rely on him too much. Our style of play is pretty much catered for him, which in turn maybe you could say that it highlights the manager’s limitations 

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re right here but he looks knackered, he needs a rest but we rely on him too much. Our style of play is pretty much catered for him, which in turn maybe you could say that it highlights the manager’s limitations 

Why would he be knackered? 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I was just watching Wenger and he said you have your favourite formation and you pick the players that will suit it in order to get the best out of those players. 

I wouldn't agree. I would say you pick your best players and use a formation that suits them best. I don't think we are doing that at the moment because neither Hause or Axel should be in the first XI, or watkins for that matter. 

How many more London away games have we got left this season? Palace...where we always lose and WHAM, off the top of me 'ead. Write those two off, and I expect us to go unbeaten on the road ex-London for the rest of the season.

Seriously though, in relation to whether we are where we should be, in these situations I look at other teams with similar or less resources.  I don't think our squad has less quality than West Ham's, but they work harder/smarter and are drilled into a way of playing. Bielsa has done that with Leeds since he joined and he's now having his first sticky spell but they are without key players. I see signs of Vieira at Palace implementing the foundations of a new style of play, taking them away from the Hodgson pragmatism. He's even getting a tune out of Benteke. Potter at Brighton has a team playing in his mould.

Whereas with us, I feel like Jack leaving and being replaced by three wildly different attacking players has thrown Dean and our style and tactics is not consistent nor is it getting the best out of our players. And if certain players are "nailed-on starters" i.e Mings, McGinn, Watkins, I really worry for us in games where they're not at the races. He's got the squad to change things up. Being loyal to players is not a manager's main concern, getting the best results he can is.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

This is our best starting eleven:

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey, Beundia, Watkins...

I'd play them in a 433 formation.

Yes that would be my team and formation. 

• Like 1

I'm torn on do we stick with Watkins and Ings up top and maybe play 4 4 2 with Buendia tucking in more and Ings dropping deep more to make numbers in midfield. I think 3 5 2 just doesn't work as we don't have the full backs good enough for it, that's my main issue with it. I still think it's a good formation away from home against the top sides as we saw against Chelsea and United.

If we go for 4 3 3 it's Ings that has to be dropped as Watkins sets the tempo at the centre of that front 3. But Ings has more of a goal threat this season than Watkins. Bailey and Buendia either side of Watkins feels like the option. McGinn Ramsey, Luiz as the 3 in midfield. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm torn on do we stick with Watkins and Ings up top and maybe play 4 4 2 with Buendia tucking in more and Ings dropping deep more to make numbers in midfield. I think 3 5 2 just doesn't work as we don't have the full backs good enough for it, that's my main issue with it. I still think it's a good formation away from home against the top sides as we saw against Chelsea and United.

If we go for 4 3 3 it's Ings that has to be dropped as Watkins sets the tempo at the centre of that front 3. But Ings has more of a goal threat this season than Watkins. Bailey and Buendia either side of Watkins feels like the option. McGinn Ramsey, Luiz as the 3 in midfield. 

I've already made my point against the 3 5 2 formation against Chelsea so I won't repeat it here. However, we weren't that impressive in the United match either. United had loads of shots against us, including a penalty they very much should've scored. They were very wasteful on that day and could've easily had beaten us had they had a bit of luck or just been a bit less wasteful. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I've already made my point against the 3 5 2 formation against Chelsea so I won't repeat it here. However, we weren't that impressive in the United match either. United had loads of shots against us, including a penalty they very much should've scored. They were very wasteful on that day and could've easily had beaten us had they had a bit of luck or just been a bit less wasteful. 

I don't want to see 3 at the back again but I disagree. We were good against united and also missed some great chances. Targett, Watkins and Ramsay should all have scored easy chances. Not a single pundit felt we didn't deserve to win that game. 

We need to go back to 4-3-3. The back 4 pick themselves and we know 2 of the CM players. 

Bailey probably starts on the left so the only real options are who starts up top, RW and in that 10 role. 

The only way I'd like to see 3 at the back again, is if we play 3-4-3 and have Bailey and Buendia either side of a forward. 

• Like 1

Against West Hams midfield I don't want a 10 I want 8s and a 6. We need to battle hard to beat a top class central midfield. So I'd go with Buendia on right because he can come in and add a body in midfield. 

19 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think he's going to have to stop trying to make two up top work to get the best out of our squad. I think that's much more the problem than 3 or 4 at the back.

I think, if they had decent service, it would work.

If you put our entire squad up for sale( hypothetically of course).....those 2 would be the first enquiries....2 very good players.

Its not working, I will agree with that.....but many other things haven't been working either, which have been, possibly overlooked......I don't think their forwards are better than ours, more aggressive maybe, but all round better, not so sure.

Their full backs are better than ours, centre backs maybe, not sure.

Midfield is better than ours, has much more about it, more drive, aggression and purpose.....ask more questions of their opponent.

but we'll see on Sunday....our lads might surprise us.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Luiz + Buendia off - Nakamba & Ramsay on - you don't need to look much beyond that imo.

I thought Luiz had been consistent this season, whereas McGinn is brilliant one minute, giving the ball away to the opposition in key areas or anonymous the next.

• Like 2

Â