Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Been wanting us to have 5-3-2/3-5-2 as a back up formation for a while. Didn't quite have the players for it without Ings thou. Was before we signed Buendia and Bailey so not sure how we'll move forward but for a lot of our players and the midfield in particular this is working our very well.

How nice to have options. We can go 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 knowing we have the player to do either. That's progress right there.

• Like 3

Just now, sne said:

Been wanting us to have 5-3-2/3-5-2 as a back up formation for a while. Didn't quite have the players for it without Ings thou. Was before we signed Buendia and Bailey so not sure how we'll move forward but for a lot of our players and the midfield in particular this is working our very well.

How nice to have options. We can go 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 knowing we have the player to do either. That's progress right there.

Deano only plays 433🙄

We are getting closer and closer to having the squad he wants. Good bloody job too because our luck with injuries it totally unfair.

• Like 1

Not long back. TBH I wasn't happy with the starting lineup or formation as I felt it was negative and I'm not seeing Watkins and Ings as an affective partnership either. They just seem to get in each others way imo, with both running the same channels and congesting each others space. That being said, today was a great win so it's hard to complain with any real conviction but I do have my reservations. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Not long back. TBH I wasn't happy with the starting lineup or formation as I felt it was negative and I'm not seeing Watkins and Ings as an affective partnership either. They just seem to get in each others way imo, with both running the same channels and congesting each others space. That being said, today was a great win so it's hard to complain with any real conviction but I do have my reservations. 

Doesn’t need to be complaining - this is where I am as well. Don’t feel that formation makes the best of us. But can then still be delighted to be doing ok - and a great win today - with Bailey, Buendia, Traore etc still to be integrated. Very promising almost BECAUSE the 3-5-2 and that partnership hasn’t quite clicked, but it can be an option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Before the transfer window shut, there widespread panic on here that we desperately needed midfield reinforcements, as that's where we were weakest. I wonder what those people think now? I'd argue it's been our strongest area so far. 

It has but the lads in the middle have improved, on the face of it last year it was our weak link and thats why plenty of us were all for strengthening our MF. 

If they keep it going they save us a fortune.

🤞

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Before the transfer window shut, there widespread panic on here that we desperately needed midfield reinforcements, as that's where we were weakest. I wonder what those people think now? I'd argue it's been our strongest area so far. 

No one could foresee Ramsey's massive strides. 

Fixed our midfield issues. 

The one thing that stood out today is how so many players wanted to know how Leon Bailey was. See so many teams where a player walks off when subbed and no one speaks or looks at them . The team spirit seems magic with our lot. When he scored every single player congratulated him . Same with Cashy . 

• Like 2

Up until the goal I thought we looked a bit static, front two not getting much quality to work on. If we play three at the back and three grafters in midfield compared to when we have two CB and two CM then we simply will have two less creative players. Thought it was a bit odd to see 90M of attacking talent on the bench in Buendia, Bailey and Traore and was asking where they are ment to fit in if we play this 5-3-2. Although, if we see it more as a 3-1-4-2, then Bailey can play on the left as he did when he came on, and Buendia can play instead of Ramsey. That would give us more creativity and would feed the front two better. Would love to see Traore on the right as well, but that would probably be a bit too attacking. Still not fully convinced playing with two up top, still think 4-3-3 is the most dynamic and best formation for us, but it's good to have the 5-3-2 to stiffle the better teams, and easily adjust it to a 3-1-4-2 with Buendia, Traore and Bailey all playing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Up until the goal I thought we looked a bit static, front two not getting much quality to work on. If we play three at the back and three grafters in midfield compared to when we have two CB and two CM then we simply will have two less creative players. Thought it was a bit odd to see 90M of attacking talent on the bench in Buendia, Bailey and Traore and was asking where they are ment to fit in if we play this 5-3-2. Although, if we see it more as a 3-1-4-2, then Bailey can play on the left as he did when he came on, and Buendia can play instead of Ramsey. That would give us more creativity and would feed the front two better. Would love to see Traore on the right as well, but that would probably be a bit too attacking. Still not fully convinced playing with two up top, still think 4-3-3 is the most dynamic and best formation for us, but it's good to have the 5-3-2 to stiffle the better teams, and easily adjust it to a 3-1-4-2 with Buendia, Traore and Bailey all playing.

Yes too much quality on the bench for me today. Maybe Smith took notice of Southgate and wanted game changers to come on. It worked today but it wont work every game. 

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Did Bailey come on and play as a left wing back? I got a bit confused with the formation at one point.

Did we play 3-5-2 the whole game? 

He did. We switched back to 4-3-3 when Traore came on. Konsa went to RB.

• Like 1

For me besides Cash’s goal, both wing backs weren’t convincing in creating chances throughout the game. We were defensively sound, but like last week, If Everton had better finishers, we may of been down a goal. 

Understand the need to want to be defensively sound, does Smith start Bailey and Traore in those wing back positions against teams like Norwich etc?

We are getting better every week, but will be interesting to see how the formation may change in the coming weeks in fit in Bailey, Buendia etc.

I shouldn't overlook the League Cup match, but looking ahead to the next PL match against Man U, will we play 3-5-2 for that one? Tuanzebe won't be eligible to play against his parent club as a loan player. You'd have to move Mings to the centre, put Targett or Young as the left-centre back, and the other one as the left wing back. [Edit:] Or you could put Bailey as left wing-back...but then do you want Targett or Young at left-centre given that Ronaldo likes to operate on their right/our left? Young faced him last year in Serie A...

Man U has played 4-2-3-1 all season so I don't think you necessarily need all the width of a 3-5-2. On the other hand, maybe that's how you overrun their defensive weaknesses in midfield.

If you play 4 at the back, do you go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? It's hard to break up the Dougie-McGinn-Rambo midfield, but McGinn may not be healthy.

Choices, choices...

Edited by TomC

Â