Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Think Everton is a good test.

They've started well which they needed to under Benitez and already have look of solid well drilled team which they probably lacked under Ancelotti.

However we've generally matched up very well v them since we came up. Should've got 6 points v them when we nearly got relegated and last season we battered them at Goodison and they couldn't handle Ollie at all so he's a key player on Saturday. We missed him in the 0-0 at VP but rarely looked like losing that. Think Ings has a good scoring record v them aswell.

One change for me would be Bailey coming in for Axel but wouldn't shock me if we kept same team as started v Chelsea.

Would be good to win as then I'd fancy us to get something v Spurs and then win a game or two in October and suddenly it's a pretty good start with potential to improve in winter.

Lose and we're less than a point a game already with Man. United away up next so shows how quickly you can get trapped under water in premier league if you don't win enough games v bottom half teams.

• Like 1

I think 3 5 2 and 4 3 3 are very similar in how the midfield three and the full backs play. Yes the full backs have more defensive needs in 4 3 3 than 3 5 2 but we would expect to play 4 3 3 at home to Everton and most teams. 

I think you drop Tuanzebe and Ings for Bailey and Buendia. 

• Like 1

One of the key takes from the weekend is that we have a system that contains both Ollie and Ings that can be effective. 

Just have to find a way to play Ollie Ings Bailey and Buendia together!

23 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think 3 5 2 and 4 3 3 are very similar in how the midfield three and the full backs play. Yes the full backs have more defensive needs in 4 3 3 than 3 5 2 but we would expect to play 4 3 3 at home to Everton and most teams. 

If Buendia was training this week I'm 100% sure that's what Smith would do. Not as certain with the Croatian mess.

22 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

no way he will not play Ings or Watkins so interesting to see how it lines up

Probably play like we did first half of last season and playing Ings in that Barkley role.

But then again how can you drop McGinn or Ramsey? That would be extremely harsh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If Buendia was training this week I'm 100% sure that's what Smith would do. Not as certain with the Croatian mess.

Yeah might go with Ings Watkins Bailey as front three. JJ Luiz McGinn. Targett Mings Konsa Cash. 

On 14/09/2021 at 09:02, CVByrne said:

I think formations morph as the dynamics of the game change.....when players win /lose their duels, the overloads change.

Formations are primarily for start up, as the initiative is established, the formation can change during the game, reflective of that.

I think its more about getting the upperhand on your opposite number and if enough of us do that we secure the initiative and the game is there for winning.

Edited by TRO

Be interesting to see how Dean fits in Buendia and Bailey into a 3 5 2 .

One leftfield option would be 

Watkins   Bailey 

McGinn ramsey luiz Buendia Cash

Mings Konsa Tuanzebe

Martinez 

I dont know why but i would just love to see McGinn at left wing back . Think he would kill it there now he is visibly fitter than before. 

Or maybe i have had one too many whiskeys this evening

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I think we will go back to a 4-3-3 Saturday, I feel the 5-3-2/3-5-2 was more about matching Chelsea up. I’m unsure that Targett and Cash have quite got enough going forward for it to become our new go to formation.

I agree with this. Cash I was hoping would improve the attacking side of his game but it just doesn't seem to be the case. Neither offers enough in an attacking sense for me at this moment in time.

• Like 1

3 5 2 is a formation for away to top 6 sides. It's not a formation we will play regularly. 

We've Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, JPB as forwards that need to fit in. We could do a 3 4 1 2 with Buendia behind Ings Watkins but I don't see much benefit playing that if we're against a team playing with full backs and wide forwards. 

I see it as we've 6 midfielders to compete to fit into the midfield 3 and we've 7 forwards to compete for the front 3. 

90% of the time the three substitutions we will make will be in the forwards and midfield so we have a lot of players getting game time.

10 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I think we will go back to a 4-3-3 Saturday, I feel the 5-3-2/3-5-2 was more about matching Chelsea up. I’m unsure that Targett and Cash have quite got enough going forward for it to become our new go to formation.

Agree with the matching up but I think Everton went 5-2-3 with Calvert-Lewin out, might match up again with one of the midfield 3 dropping out and Bailey going in the narrow front 3

5 minutes ago, The Inspiration said:

Agree with the matching up but I think Everton went 5-2-3 with Calvert-Lewin out, might match up again with one of the midfield 3 dropping out and Bailey going in the narrow front 3

If Everton go 3 4 3 (which is what 5 2 3 is) against us going 4 3 3 we'll dominate midfield and win on Sat. 

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If Everton go 3 4 3 (which is what 5 2 3 is) against us going 4 3 3 we'll dominate midfield and win on Sat. 

Rafa will change formation mid game if things are not working, did so against Burnley.

Will be very difficult. Actually think Spurs will be an easier game.

35 minutes ago, The Inspiration said:

I’m not so sure as with us being at home I would like to see us take the initiative, let them worry about us.

Â