Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Think Smith will like up like this.

.................Martinez.............

Cash..Konsa..Mings....Targett

............McGinn....Luiz.............

Buendia........Ings...........Bailey

......................Watkins.................

Seriously stacked with quality in here. Be interesting to see how Ings turns out in a 10/false 9 position

Just woke up and saw Ings news and thought this maybe the formation

Ings won’t play as a ten (I don’t think). I think he’s cover for Watkins and also Watkins covers left side. With Ings as a second striker, it leaves us open in central midfield. 

The priority needs to be to replace Grealish on the left and buy a defensive midfielder. I’m fine with us dropping all 100m on those two positions. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That midfield would get overrun

If you say so Gareth :)

Personally I think teams  will be too busy picking the ball out their own net and lining up for kick off  to over run us :) 

35 minutes ago, Enda said:

A bit off-topic, but I am not convinced Targett will be preferred to Young at left back.

For shame id forgotten about him ..

but Targett had a good season so I’d be surprised if he was dropped .. Cash is the weakest link in that back 4 if we were replacing anyone (IMO of course )

53 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

You have to assume the plan is for Buendia to play centrally. Surely?!

Norwich fans says he's been rather poor there in the games he has played as a 10 for them.

Way more effective on the right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Think Smith will line up like this.

.................Martinez.............

Cash..Konsa..Mings....Targett

............McGinn....Luiz.............

Buendia........Ings...........Bailey

......................Watkins.................

Seriously stacked with quality in here. Be interesting to see how Ings turns out in a 10/false 9 position

That midfield would get over run

• Like 1

Man, it all feels a bit Football Manager doesn't it?  These signings are throwing up some difficult albeit fun and exciting questions.

I honestly can't see anything other than Ings being our main centre forward, though I can't picture us dropping Watkins at all after last season.  He was absolutely immense but out of the two I would say he's the more versatile so where the eff do we play him.  Or do we simply just rotate the two up front or together against weaker teams...?

With Bailey and Buendia both being predominatly RW's, who do we play on the left.  Do we let Watkins, Bailey and Buendia just run riot behind Ings?  Not sure we have the midfield for that level of indiscipline but it would be **** fun to watch! 

• Like 1

Looks like we haven't signed Ings to be a backup.

So it begs the question, how do we line up with him in the starting 11?

Do we go old school 4-4-2?

4-2-3-1 with Ings up top and Ollie behind him?

Yes like others have said I’m suddenly not at all sure what the first xi looks like.

The back five pick themselves. That’s the easy bit. After that, it’s not at all obvious. I would imagine Ings, Buendia and Bailey are regular starters. Likewise Watkins. But I can‘t quite see them all playing at once. And this is just as the squads currently stands.

Obviously quality squad depth is essential and I’m delighted it’s being addressed. I’d also like to think this gives us a bit more flexibility in how the team sets up. 

And although it may well become apparent in due course, it’s kinda intriguing going into a season not knowing who the obvious stand out player is. Well, at least from an attacking point of view, anyway.

20 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

You have to assume the plan is for Buendia to play centrally. Surely?!

In pre-season, he has been playing on the right of midfield, almost as an attacking midfielder. He is versatile and has a lot of ability on the ball, I look forward to his competitive debut 

Â