Google Chrome advice

KenjiOgiwara

I normally use FF, but on my Chromebook I use Chrome. For some reasons all my browser searches show up in my URL line when I open a new tab. It's not a problem in the sense I search dirty stuff or whatever. But I use the chromebook at meetings and such as well, and I'd prefer my personal life being personal. It's akward when my search history of medical conditions or whatever pops up so others can see.

Is there any way to stop chrome storing my former searches? I've tried googling it and I've disabled everything people suggest there, but it still hasn't worked.

Any suggestions? 

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but. I'd suggest having a separate work and personal Chrome profile so that the histories are completely segregated and then you don't lose the usefulness of the omnibar.

As far as I can tell, you can't turn off  *just* the search autofill, you lose the URLs as well and so you';ll never get any recommendations at all. If that's what you want, try turning off "Auto-complete searches and URLs" in Chrome settings if you haven't already, it works for me!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I normally use FF, but on my Chromebook I use Chrome. For some reasons all my browser searches show up in my URL line when I open a new tab. It's not a problem in the sense I search dirty stuff or whatever. But I use the chromebook at meetings and such as well, and I'd prefer my personal life being personal. It's akward when my search history of medical conditions or whatever pops up so others can see.

Is there any way to stop chrome storing my former searches? I've tried googling it and I've disabled everything people suggest there, but it still hasn't worked.

Any suggestions? 

Clear browser history? And log in to google and go to your account and bin off stuff in there as well?

But I don't want the "omnibar", or whatever this autofill stuff is called, at home either. I see absolutely no use for it. Don't want google to remember anything I've searched at all. I understand they obviously will know, but I don't want it to be visible. I have a slight OCD thing and for me it's just annoying. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but. I'd suggest having a separate work and personal Chrome profile so that the histories are completely segregated and then you don't lose the usefulness of the omnibar.

As far as I can tell, you can't turn off  *just* the search autofill, you lose the URLs as well and so you';ll never get any recommendations at all. If that's what you want, try turning off "Auto-complete searches and URLs" in Chrome settings if you haven't already, it works for me!

Ok cheers. I will try that. I googled how to do that now, but the google advice on how to do it doesn't fit with what I see on my screen. I assume it's on a different chrome version or something. Where exactly do I find it ?

Ok I think I figured it out. Thanks to ya'll. 

I probably sound tech savy like a grandma asking this, but it's annoying cause my work computer and stuff is on Norwegian and everything else is on English. So I have to guess what the translation will be when searching for the right things in settings. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Ok I still need help. I disabled autosearch and web adresses etc, but whenever I open a new tab the adress field still remembers the last 8 google searches. 

Can it really not be disabled? I feel I unclicked absolutely everything I can find in settings? 

Any other suggestions?

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ok I still need help. I disabled autosearch and web adresses etc, but whenever I open a new tab the adress field still remembers the last 8 google searches. 

Can it really not be disabled? I feel I unclicked absolutely everything I can find in settings? 

Any other suggestions?

You can edit the items on the new page screen. Or install an extension which replaces the new page screen.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Any other suggestions?

Did you go to your settings - activity - like this - and turn stuff off and delete searches?

Capture.PNG

Yeah but it does nothing for future searches. I can't keep deleting every time I use the chromebook.

It seems from what I can tell this is a built in feature of chrome and can't actually be changed.

Oh well,  no crisis. Just means I have to download firefox for my chromebook. However silly that may sound.

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah but it does nothing for future searches

Web and app activity OFF might work? - that way it doesn't keep a record of what you've searched for. But yeah, bin off chrome. 

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What do you mean new page screen? 

New page screen is the name of what comes up when you open a new tab. There are extensions which replace or allow you to customise it.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Oh well,  no crisis. Just means I have to download firefox for my chromebook. However silly that may sound.

Or you could log in to a separate account. Keep your history for work separate. The correct solution.

You could use the multiple sign ins within ChromeOS and use shift-alt-< and shift-alt-> to move between them. Or you could install a variety of other browsers either as Android or Linux spps - I'm not sure why you think that sounds silly.

There are so many ways to solve the problem. People have suggested them, but you seem determined to do something that is impossible.

15 hours ago, blandy said:

Web and app activity OFF might work? - that way it doesn't keep a record of what you've searched for. But yeah, bin off chrome. 

Nah it still doesn't remove former searches in a new tab. 

11 hours ago, limpid said:

New page screen is the name of what comes up when you open a new tab. There are extensions which replace or allow you to customise it.

Or you could log in to a separate account. Keep your history for work separate. The correct solution.

You could use the multiple sign ins within ChromeOS and use shift-alt-< and shift-alt-> to move between them. Or you could install a variety of other browsers either as Android or Linux spps - I'm not sure why you think that sounds silly.

There are so many ways to solve the problem. People have suggested them, but you seem determined to do something that is impossible.

Ah there you go, not down with the lingo. 

I actually think the correct solution would be to give users the option to disable it. I have little interest in my girlfriend seeing my search history either. From finance, to medicine, to surprise vacations and presents. And to the fact it just annoys me. Your suggestions is a lot of work to make something work that doesn't work well to begin with.

And it's clear that there's not a lot of way to solve the problem, or you would have suggested something practical. But cheers for the snide remark though. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I will just move on to another browser. 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ah there you go, not down with the lingo. 

I actually think the correct solution would be to give users the option to disable it. I have little interest in my girlfriend seeing my search history either. From finance, to medicine, to surprise vacations and presents. And to the fact it just annoys me. Your suggestions is a lot of work to make something work that doesn't work well to begin with.

And it's clear that there's not a lot of way to solve the problem, or you would have suggested something practical. But cheers for the snide remark though. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I will just move on to another browser. 

I'm logged into two accounts on this Chromebook now. No work involved at all.

@KenjiOgiwara

https://blog.google/products/chrome/create-space-yourself-chrome/

If you're one of the many families who share a computer in your home, or someone who uses their computer for both work and personal browsing, these stories may be familiar: You spent the previous day hand-picking your favorite browser colors and theme, only to discover that someone changed everything up.

• 4 months later...
Â