Image upload limit

mjmooney

Question

So, I went to post a picture, and I found that the 'Add File' button had disappeared. The 'Other Media' one was still there, and that gave me the option to use images I'd already uploaded previously. Came here to make this post, and I see the legend 'You have used all of the attachment space you are allowed', and the hotlink 'Manage attachments to free up space'. Who knew? Every day's a school day, I guess. So I went and deleted about a hundred or more of my old uploads, thinking that should surely be enough. But the button is still conspicuous by its absence. How many do I need to delete? 

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You appear to be using vastly more storage than you are allowed. I can't explain this. You are allowed 8MB and are currently using over 500MB.

I made some changes to the group settings yesterday (adding the little lions under your avatar) and they may have overridden something that was missed in the past. I would bump the numbers up a bit, but I can't give everyone half a gig of storage. Sorry

It might be that you have just one or two things using up a lot of space. It does tell you the size of each item.

Ah, OK, thanks Simon. I did notice those figures, which seemed rather surprising. I'll see if I can find the offending items, and I'll have a good clearout, regardless. It's a shame that the system doesn't have an option to automatically purge anything older than (say) a year, as I'd imagine many of the longstanding posters will have built up a sizeable backlog of pictures. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, I went to post a picture, and I found that the 'Add File' button had disappeared. The 'Other Media' one was still there, and that gave me the option to use images I'd already uploaded previously. Came here to make this post, and I see the legend 'You have used all of the attachment space you are allowed', and the hotlink 'Manage attachments to free up space'. Who knew? Every day's a school day, I guess. So I went and deleted about a hundred or more of my old uploads, thinking that should surely be enough. But the button is still conspicuous by its absence. How many do I need to delete? 

You appear to be using vastly more storage than you are allowed. I can't explain this. You are allowed 8MB and are currently using over 500MB.

I made some changes to the group settings yesterday (adding the little lions under your avatar) and they may have overridden something that was missed in the past. I would bump the numbers up a bit, but I can't give everyone half a gig of storage. Sorry

It might be that you have just one or two things using up a lot of space. It does tell you the size of each item.