Pre-Match Thread

blunther

Referee: Robert Jones.
Assistants: Darren Cann, Derek Eaton.
Fourth official: Tony Harrington.
VAR: Graham Scott.
Assistant VAR: Lee Betts.

We've not been refereed by Robert Jones yet this season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

I loved little Carles Gil. Had a lovely shot on him.

Possible the most overrated player in Villa history. That's for another thread though. 

I can see arguments for sticking with the same team but I can also see changes, due to the fact we had a specific gameplan for Leeds away. 

Tough decision but I have faith in the coaching staff. 

Think it will be a tough game but it really is one we should be winning. 

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Interesting that Wilder has publicly accepted relegation now, that will go one of two ways in terms of how it affects the players, let’s hope for our sake it doesn’t fire them up.

I suspect the 1st goal will be of huge importance.

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Interesting that Wilder has publicly accepted relegation now, that will go one of two ways in terms of how it affects the players, let’s hope for our sake it doesn’t fire them up.

I can see it taking the pressure of them and letting them play with freedom... that probably won’t change much though in my opinion. I’m cautiously optimistic, and I think we can beat them.

• Like 1

I’d take a scrappy 0-1 all day long, but like everyone else I’m keen to see us back to our scintillating best. Sheffield United aren’t a pushover, but the volume of losses they’ve suffered suggests that their spirit can fall apart quickly. A fast start and an early goal and we’ll be more than capable of seeing it through. 

Who knows, maybe the relief of accepting they’re down will encourage them to open up a bit more. If they do then that plays into our hands. 

If Nakamba plays = clean sheet.

thought he did well at Leeds on Saturday.

Anwar El Ghazi was on 🔥 at Leeds so if he’s like it again Sheff U I think we could do well at Sheff U.

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have a good friend who's a Blades fan. He just wants the season to end. 

I know a few that feel like that. 

Hopefully Villa will do the kind thing tomorrow and smash seven past them. 

I was looking on Sheffield United forum and seems a number of them blame us for the poor season that they're having, the idea being that we should have allowed them to score after the hawkeye incident which they believe would have relegated us, meaning that they would have been able to sign Cash and Watkins, and rather than us being in the league there would be Bournemouth instead.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, useless said:

I was looking on Sheffield United forum and seems a number of them blame us for the poor season that they're having, the idea being that we should have allowed them to score after the hawkeye incident which they believe would have relegated us, meaning that they would have been able to sign Cash and Watkins, and rather than us being in the league there would be Bournemouth instead.

The thing I always have on that is imo the players just trusted the technology e.g. it hasn't failed before or since on whether a ball has crossed the line whereas penalties and us getting robbed of that goal at Palace are ultimately a subjective call.

It's not like all the players were on the goalline looking right across so from some angles probably looked like part of the ball was on the line and if ref watch didn't go off they'd assume it wasn't over the line anyway.

I get why it stings with Sheffield and I'd have had no issue with the goal being given a minute later once the replays showed it was well over but ultimately they still finished top half and had whole summer to sign whoever.

Other thing is thank f*** Nyland is well out of the club. It's incredible the difference a calm and composed keeper like Martinez can make to a back 4 compared to Nyland who was complete opposite in every game he played bar the Leicester SF when he just peaked out of nowhere.

Edited by VillaChris

I would like to see us keep near enough the same team with just Trez replacing Traore, to freshen things up a little and possibly Sanson for Ramsey, but happy if things stay the same.

That hawkeye didn't work wasn't our fault or responsibility, so we had no obligation to let them score, was completely different to the Leeds situation, they let us score to right a wrong, a wrong that they themselves were responsible for.

And consider this: how do we know that the ball crossed the line, out of the two technologies why should we trust the television images over hawkeye.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think we need Traore to play this one as they are hard to break down and without Grealish we might need that little bit of magic from Traore even if it is spasmodic. 

The modern day Wanchope. Crazy skills or crazy cock up, either way it leaves all befuddled!

• Like 1