Weekends Football 26/28 February

andykeenan

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres so many crap games now 

I think it’s down to the lack of fans. Teams seem to be happy with stale draws that I don’t think they’d get away with if the stadium was full of screaming fans.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it’s down to the lack of fans. Teams seem to be happy with stale draws that I don’t think they’d get away with if the stadium was full of screaming fans.

For me thats the main reason and as Phil wrote rule changes and officiating have had a negative impact. The season started well but the quality has declined the longer its gone on. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

For me thats the main reason and as Phil wrote rule changes and officiating have had a negative impact. The season started well but the quality has declined the longer its gone on. 

Telling thing for me was the Manchester Derby back in December. 0-0 and both sets of players and staff grinning, laughing and joking at the final whistle. No way that would have happened if Old Trafford was full. Everybody seems to be just going through the motions this year.

This top six games 0-0/boring discussion got me interested.

Just had a look and as far as I can tell, 2019/20, there were no 0-0 results between the “big six”. There were 21 matches that ended goalless including all teams.

In 2018/19 there were two 0-0’s between the big six. For all teams across the season, there were 22.

So far this season there’s been 6 (5 of them involving Man Utd) and 22 in total.

I don’t know if this tells us much really, it doesn’t tell how “boring” a match was, but I suppose it adds some weight to the idea that no supporters in the stadium is having an effect and maybe the bigger clubs are experiencing it more.

0EB5CE23-1809-468E-90D2-4FDC2BA1E6DD.jpeg

• Like 2

Â