Midweek Football 22/25 February

andykeenan

Up until around January Southampton had take more points than any other team other than Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool over the past calender year, they were doing very well, but for some reason it's gone horribly wrong for them over the last ten games or so. I see some similarities with Sheffield United, a lot of their good form has been down to their system and work ethic more so than talent, and that can probably only take you so far, . I would think they will have enough to survive this season, but suddenly it's not looking as a sure thing as it was.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

If Fulham beat Palace at the weekend Southampton will be just five points clear of the bottom three going into a game against Everton on Monday. They've also only won one of their last eleven league games.

That’s absolutely crazy, I feel more grateful about our position now 

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

any1 taking bests as to whether Leeds finish above us this season???

I still doubt that will happen...unless we win about two games in the run in which would mean serious questions of the manager asked again so let's hope that dosen't happen.

Still to play us, Man. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs at home so that's pretty tough to get run of wins. Better run away but they have lost the last two on the road.

Think they'll end up on about 50 points. Good season for them but we should beat that even with average form. Think a point a game would get us to 51 points and our GD is a fair bit better.

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

The issue with Southampton is they've had so many injury problems. They can't keep a consistent side. They have very little investment so their depth is dreadful and on top of that they've had some shocking decisions go against them. 

looks like they have no full backs available except Bertrand yet they loaned out Valery

Ings drop in form isn't helping Southampton, has only score twice in the last twelve games. I think their fans think he's become unsettled after being linked with a move to Spurs, wants another chance at a big club.

7 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

The issue with Southampton is they've had so many injury problems. They can't keep a consistent side. They have very little investment so their depth is dreadful and on top of that they've had some shocking decisions go against them. 

Think Walcott getting injured was massive blow. Given him lots of stick last few years but was surprised how well he's fitted into their system up to January.

Not good for them shipping goals though with most of their first choice backline playing again tonight.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I still doubt that will happen...unless we win about two games in the run in which would mean serious questions of the manager asked again so let's hope that dosen't happen.

Still to play us, Man. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs at home so that's pretty tough to get run of wins. Better run away but they have lost the last two on the road.

Think they'll end up on about 50 points. Good season for them but we should beat that even with average form. Think a point a game would get us to 51 points and our GD is a fair bit better.

All it takes is us losing two more and them winning 2 more ( Plus a draw ), it's really not that far fetched, especially based on form.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

All it takes is us losing two more and them winning 2 more ( Plus a draw ), it's really not that far fetched, especially based on form.

Oh I can see them going above us in the short term (all they actually need is to beat us on Saturday) but I don't see them beating enough of what they have left to get to 55-60 points which I still reckon we won't be far off.

Think you were looking at Southampton's position.

Far too early to accept us just meekly ending the season barely winning a game. 4 wins and two draws gets us to 50 points so the bare minimum I expect and then hopefully we'll have a few more games left to secure top 10 position which will be about 55 points.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Oh I can see them going above us in the short term (all they actually need is to beat us on Saturday) but I don't see them beating enough of what they have left to get to 55-60 points which I still reckon we won't be far off.

Think you were looking at Southampton's position.

Far too early to accept us just meekly ending the season barely winning a game. 4 wins and two draws gets us to 50 points so the bare minimum I expect and then hopefully we'll have a few more games left to secure top 10 position which will be about 55 points.

My attitude was totally different last time we played them, I was looking forward to us  " putting them in their place " lol. That never turned out so well.

I'm just pretty downbeat about our recent showings, hopefully our resurgence begins this weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

A lot in on topic thought we could get him, and on loan too :lol: 

A real quality striker. 

Would have been no crazier than Fulham signing Berbatov back in the day, particularly as it looked like Lampard had no use for him.

20 minutes ago, penguin said:

Would have been no crazier than Fulham signing Berbatov back in the day, particularly as it looked like Lampard had no use for him.

in fairness Fulham had been in the Europa League final 2 years before Berbatov signed

Â