Match Thread: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Just now, JB said:

We’ve made it incredibly easy for Leicester. I don’t think they’ve been great at all - barely got out of second gear. The effort levels have been unacceptable and Watkins is totally isolated. Something has to change at half time, surely? 

That's how it looks to me. Far too many of our players ball - watching. 

I could see the plan, sit deeper (see the midfield drop off as a unit when leicester had the ball with Mings clearly telling them not to get drawn high), and get Ollie running in behind. Sensible against Leicester, prevent them running in behind too easy

That all went out the window when Elmo, Konsa and Mings all failed to deal with a straightforward long ball and then just watched maddison shoot

We also have too many running in treacle again

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I have no idea why Elmo got so sucked in for the first goal, if he’d held a position to the right of Konsa instead of standing on his toes for some reason it would have dropped right to him.

Yep completely his fault that goal and I'm a Elmo fan.

1 minute ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

MASSIVE foul throw for the second goal. Both feet off the ground by a country mile.

foul throw, the most irritating rule in football. never called in the professional game but so over (and incorrectly) analysed at grassroots level you get 5 a game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You know, it's possible to acknowledge things have improved massively since Smith took over and to like the bloke while still being able to point out when he gets things wrong.

Agreed.  Shame that our fan base doesn't do this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

If anyone still believes Elmo is better than Guilbert they need therapy.

What do I need if I think they are both equally rubbish and want neither in the squad?

One thing I notice a lot is that Luiz and McGinn rarely show for the ball when our defenders have it. The oppo team presses but I feel the two DMs should get into space to they can receive a pass. Too often they leave our defenders with no option but to hit it long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I just don't understand how a supposed fan can accept mediocre performances from his team and not be frustrated by it. 

If we're on the beach with our feet up and not arsed then why bother watching any of our remaining games?

I know full well we've been pretty crap, been like it since we returned from Covid. 

However we're going to achieve exactly what I wanted this season, why would I be annoyed? 

Just now, bobzy said:

Sorry, but this is garbage.  How have we been dreadful in 2021?! 

We were good for the first half of the season in 2020 but so far this year we have lost to United, City, Burnley, West Ham and drew to brighton as well as struggling against newcastle and southampton. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

I just don't understand how a supposed fan can accept mediocre performances from his team and not be frustrated by it. 

If we're on the beach with our feet up and not arsed then why bother watching any of our remaining games?

It's not really accepting, it's more understanding that it happens and so not having a tantrum over the manager and players we don't like. 

Our superb first half of the season means there is no panic this season now. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't want to finish as high as possible, just that the meltdowns are really not necessary 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Konsa and Mings going up for set - pieces is becoming an exercise in futility. 

Could we just forfeit corners?

I've always hated short corners, because I think a corner is a good opportunity to score. Now, I think all our corners should be taken short. All of them. All-of-them.