Set pieces

turvontour

On 14/08/2021 at 18:14, ferguson1 said:

Think you’ve got your work cut out fella.

image.jpeg.3db43e9616acbe85e3dad0367e7d46be.jpeg

He looks so much like a villain from some old medieval or fantasy movie but I just can't figure out which one. Best I've come up with it this and that ain't it :D 

Prince John - Robin Hood | Cartoon photo, Prince john disney, Disney  villains

On 07/08/2021 at 10:32, av1 said:

There has been no movement from a throw in in about 10yrs. I’ve come to expect this will never change at VP 🤣

This aged well 🤣

• 1 month later...
On 09/08/2021 at 12:06, bannedfromHandV said:

Looked poor at both ends on set pieces again so I’d suggest the new set piece coach has their work cut out still

You can say that again! 

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe he is only working on attacking set pieces 🤔

Why? Do we need a separate defensive set piece strategist? Until confirmed otherwise, I think he should be held accountable for set pieces in both ends.

27 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Why? Do we need a separate defensive set piece strategist? Until confirmed otherwise, I think he should be held accountable for set pieces in both ends.

Those time wasting throw ins also does my head in.

It's like watching prime Tony Pulis and it's killing the flow of the game.

Only my opinion, but I wouldn’t think that McPhee is concentrating too much on defending set pieces, to be honest that’s basics right? It seems that McPhee’s remit with the attacking set pieces is to come up with new ways to try and score goals from them.

I know it’s getting boring now, but that on Saturday is on the players I’m afraid. It’s a basic skill of a top flight defender to defend from a set piece. You cannot blame coaching on failing to clear a ball.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Makes no sense.  You can't decide what an opponent wants to do at set pieces - it'll just be a generic set up from within the coaching staff (and, hey, maybe McPhee has a say in that).  The value of a set piece coach is setting up offensive set pieces to catch the opponent out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Makes no sense.  You can't decide what an opponent wants to do at set pieces - it'll just be a generic set up from within the coaching staff (and, hey, maybe McPhee has a say in that).  The value of a set piece coach is setting up offensive set pieces to catch the opponent out.

So, in defensive set pieces, your only strategy is hope.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What a turnaround in this department. We look a serious threat from corners, and long may it continue.

Three straight games scoring from corners from the right - each with a different taker and a different scorer. Amazing.

Young - Targett.

Douglas Luiz - Watkins

McGinn - Konsa

Edited by Adam2003

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Three straight games scoring from corners from the right - each with a different taker and a different scorer. Amazing.

Wow! We were going halves of seasons with no goals from corners! It always annoyed me because I felt that Konsa and Mings should be more trouble than they were. Maybe it was the delivery/lack of plan that was the issue.

Would be interesting to know if they identified the back post as a weakness of Leicesters 

Not just the 2nd konsa goal, the first came from a back post knock down and so was Ramseys 

Being an NFL fan I always think coaches in football don't watch enough tape, I'd love it if that's something someone on our staff watched them play and spotted it, that kind of intelligence will go a long way 

• 1 month later...
Â