Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

If Jack isn't available, it makes selection very difficult for the manager.

The shape hasn't been working a number of us have felt like taking Barkley out of the side and firming up the midfield was the way to go - but I think it would be a brave manager who loses Grealish to injury and also drops Barkley - from the outside that would look a bit mad. 

A like for like replacement with El Ghazi on the left, keeping Roos central still leaves us with that problem of balance - but dropping Barkley for Sanson and having no Grealish would potential open the manager up to a lot of (unnecessary) criticism.

I wonder if without Grealish we might see a change of shape in order to accommodate Barkley and retain some creativity. 

A 4-3-1-2 with Luiz, McGinn, Sanson in midfield,  Barkley as the one and Watkins and Davis up front?

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Jack isn't available, it makes selection very difficult for the manager.

The shape hasn't been working a number of us have felt like taking Barkley out of the side and firming up the midfield was the way to go - but I think it would be a brave manager who loses Grealish to injury and also drops Barkley - from the outside that would look a bit mad. 

A like for like replacement with El Ghazi on the left, keeping Roos central still leaves us with that problem of balance - but dropping Barkley for Sanson and having no Grealish would potential open the manager up to a lot of (unnecessary) criticism.

I wonder if without Grealish we might see a change of shape in order to accommodate Barkley and retain some creativity. 

A 4-3-1-2 with Luiz, McGinn, Sanson in midfield,  Barkley as the one and Watkins and Davis up front?

I actually don't think we we'd change a huge amount.

This probably means Barkley is certain to start so we could perhaps have him drifting in from the left instead to attempt to re-create what Jack does. Also think Trez will start.

What it should make certain is we go in with three CMs so I'd be giving Sanson a start alongside McGinn and Doug although guess Nakamba is probably slightly ahead in pecking order.

Think we'd have struggled tomorrow with Jack anyway but this at least gives us flexibility to get more solid centrally which we're going to need to get a result.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Smith doesn't play 2 up top and goes for overloading the wings and has been this way before Villa. This formation is not happening

Think only big decision if Jack is really out is who gets the ball carrying and match winning duties, Traore or Barkley.

I think it will be too maverick to start both given what Leicester are about but perhaps DS will do that. Risking it a bit with AEM at right back though so someone will need to cover him frequently given the form Barnes is in.

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Bit worried about this. They are the second best team in the league IMO. A bit of a free hit but one of the rare ones we could get smashed... which would provoke quite the meltdown I suspect. 

It all depends how we bounce back. Was meltdown after the West Ham game when we weren't on it and the performances in next two weren't great but we still got 4 points and two clean sheets which is still pretty good in premier league terms.

Unless we get smashed like last season I wouldn't be too downhearted if Leicester win particularly if Jack isn't around. However if we then get turned over by likes of Leeds and Wolves with a Grealish void that probably does create debate about how good we can really get in the long term.

I'd actually really like us to put in good performance and get a big result without Jack one game as must be years since we did that given we hardly won a game when he was out for 3 months in the championship.

It's not like we have 10 plodders around him, we have some really good technical players in midfield now so with right set up we should be able to be competitive as there are many ways to set up to win a premier league match.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think only big decision if Jack is really out is who gets the ball carrying and match winning duties, Traore or Barkley.

I think it will be too maverick to start both given what Leicester are about but perhaps DS will do that. Risking it a bit with AEM at right back though so someone will need to cover him frequently given the form Barnes is in.

Yeah we need Trez. But given we need to defend a bit deeper than usual to counter their obvious attacking threat, having a couple of pacey, creative like outlets to play out to like Ross and Bert could really give Rodgers a headache. Especially as they are without a couple of defenders.

Not sure if we could have both AND Trez though.  

I guess we'll have to play Jack and ignore the Twitter rumours. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith doesn't play 2 up top and goes for overloading the wings and has been this way before Villa. This formation is not happening

You're absolutely right, I'm just trying to find a way to avoid playing the formation we've been playing recently with Barkley just off the striker - I think it's bad anyway, but without Grealish it's a recipe for disaster - I don't think Smith will drop Barkley if Jack isn't available.

The only other thing I can think of is to move Watkins to the left wing and play Barkley as a centre forward - which is as insane now I write it down as it is in my head - but no more insane than this 4-2-4 we've been playing with Barkley as a second striker.

Personally I'd consider:

----------------------The Wall--------------------

Elmo-------Konsa-------MIngs----Targett

---------Sanson---Luiz---McGinn-----------

Trez--------------------------------------El Ghazi

--------------------Watkins------------------------

With Barkley and Traore on the bench.

But I don't think we'll do that.

I am really struggling to find a line up that works with these pieces already in place:

----------------------The Wall--------------------

Elmo-------Konsa-------MIngs----Targett

-------------Midfielder---Midfielder----------

------------------(great big hole)----------------

Winger-------------------------------------Winger

-------------------------------Barkley----------------

----------------------Watkins-----------------------

No work gets done between the two holding midfielders and Watkins - it's just a massive space that Leicester will use to take us apart.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

i just don't see anyone stopping Vardy.

We have 12 clean sheets this season and the best keeper in the league.

That's a good place to start. 

Vardy is a great player but he isn't unstoppable by any stretch. 

It's all about the tactics. That and holding onto the ball in Jack's supposed absence.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

No work gets done between the two holding midfielders and Watkins - it's just a massive space that Leicester will use to take us apart.

100% this.....which is why we are currently unable to control the midfield against progressive and pressing teams. Simply cannot have RB as a 2nd striker vs Leicester so need Sanson/Nakamba or Ramsey in to make it a genuine midfield 3 or at least a more solid 2 and 1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If Jack is really out we've got no chance to win 

Well that's just not true is it?

I mean categorically, there is absolutely no way you can back that statement up. It'll, be tough, and we may well lose, but "no chance to win" is way out there on the pessimism scale. 

• Like 1

Now that its not on a Saturday night at 8pm. I can sit down and enjoy it. But not really looking forward to it. I have a bad feeling (although that may be the curry and alcohol from last night)

Seriously I would be more than happy with a point today 

• Like 1