Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We'd do well to beat this team.

The Albrighton things still makes me laugh ( ironically)....what a bunch of shysters running us then , posing as football people.

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

When we played them last time out Smith stated in the post match interview that he had to change the system to one 6 and two 8's as we were getting over run. So I expect us to line up like that.  I would certainly not be surprised to see Sanson drafted in as a result.

I also think Trezguet deserves a start, our best football this season has come with him in the team. 

With a midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Sanson then Jack and Trez wide you can even change to a flat 4 across midfield and put Jack behind Watkins as Sanson is adept at playing as a wide midfielder as well as box to box. This could be done if Jack is struggling to get in the game, and we are on the back foot like in the last 3 matches.

Looking at Leicesters stats only Leeds and Southampton work harder.  This line up could out work almost any team and with a live wire like Jack and the threat of Watkins we should still offer enough going forward.

I’d like to see this happen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

When we played them last time out Smith stated in the post match interview that he had to change the system to one 6 and two 8's as we were getting over run. So I expect us to line up like that.  I would certainly not be surprised to see Sanson drafted in as a result.

I also think Trezguet deserves a start, our best football this season has come with him in the team. 

With a midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Sanson then Jack and Trez wide you can even change to a flat 4 across midfield and put Jack behind Watkins as Sanson is adept at playing as a wide midfielder as well as box to box. This could be done if Jack is struggling to get in the game, and we are on the back foot like in the last 3 matches.

Looking at Leicesters stats only Leeds and Southampton work harder.  This line up could out work almost any team and with a live wire like Jack and the threat of Watkins we should still offer enough going forward.

I agree.

also Trez does seem to be attracted to the back post, this is a happy hunting ground for goals in most games.....Working hard will be a central feature of this game.

Rodgers has confirmed for us both Castagne and Ricardo are available for this game, only question will be whether Castagne actually starts or makes an appearance off the bench

No new injury news so that means the following are definitely still ruled out for us: Justin, Morgan, Fofana, Praet, Perez

Edited by Fox1884
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

also Trez does seem to be attracted to the back post, this is a happy hunting ground for goals in most games.....Working hard will be a central feature of this game.

Yep hard work will be essential. Leicester are a good team. We need to be first to the lose ball, we need to bully them a bit too.  We also need to give Jack the freedom of the pitch, which having McGinn on the left of two 8's would afford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Yep hard work will be essential. Leicester are a good team. We need to be first to the lose ball, we need to bully them a bit too.  We also need to give Jack the freedom of the pitch, which having McGinn on the left of two 8's would afford.

Yep.....It comes under the heading of working hard for me....not just non-descript running to get the stats up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Villa generally have a very good record against Rodgers.

We are a bit of a bogey team for him.

I don't believe in Bogey teams....thats relying on luck too much.....its what you do in a game that counts.

I remember us always having the indian sign over Coventry.....then one day, they came to Villa Park and my mate, made the same comment..."we will win, because we always do against them"

He said to me, you don't look convinced, I said "I'm not, they are playing better and have a better team IMO......and we lost, for the first time in Yonks.

No Bogey's, just blood,sweat and Snot...pardon the pun.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't believe in Bogey teams....thats relying on luck too much.....its what you do in a game that counts.

I remember us always having the indian sign over Coventry.....then one day, they came to Villa Park and my mate, made the same comment..."we will win, because we always do against them"

He said to me, you don't look convinced, I said "I'm not, they are playing better and have a better team IMO......and we lost, for the first time in Yonks.

No Bogey's, just blood,sweat and Snot...pardon the pun.

Yes anyway last season they did the double on us so being a bogey team of a particular manager has zero relevance. 

Be interesting to see how we line up now with Grealish seemingly out (still clinging to the hope it's bullshit).

Not a fan of Barkley's recent lazy performances but I think we need to go with him just for the added flair. I'd have McGinn ready from the bench and start Sanson instead.

I'd go:

Martinez

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz Sanson

Trez     Barkley      El Ghazi

Watkins

Edited by bose
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Will we get a bounce from the lacklustre performance against Brighton? We need Jack, Bertie and Doug, in particular, on song today.

Barkley will start and Leicester will target Elmo. 

Think Jacks out...