Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

14 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

I take it back guys, Grealish has nothing when it comes to diving compared to those we played tonight bloody hell 😂

Be interesting to see how knackered we are after that, wouldn't say we went 100% effort in but Slavia played well

Our lineup will likely be very similar to tonights

Schmeichel
Castagne, Evans, Soyuncu, Ricardo
Tielemans, Ndidi
Albrighton, Maddison, Barnes
Vardy

We'd do well to beat this team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Having Soyuncu back must be a real plus for you guys.

Definitely a good thing, but at the same time he wasn't too badly missed because Fofana really stepped up, quite lucky really that as soon as Fofana got injured Soyuncu was ready to step back in

• Like 1

Will be an interesting match up this, I think the way we defend with a low block will actually help to nullify the pace of Vardy and Barnes to a degree, and I don't think we'll be overly concerned with crosses in to the box in open play too much as we tend to defend them well and Vardy/Maddison/Barnes aren't renowned for their ability in the air. However, Leicester are a good team and have many ways of hurting you, set pieces are a concern, Maddison is good over them and in Evans and Soncyu they have players who can hurt you.

Problem area for us is obviously midfield, if Barkley plays and doesn't perform I can see Ndidi snuffing him out pretty easily, and with one less out ball we could find ourselves penned in for large periods. Leicester will be less focused on stopping us than the likes of Brighton and West Ham were, and their full backs aren't shy in coming forwards so I can see us having a bit of room to work with on the break.

I think we'll likely see Trezeguet come in for Traore to help protect Elmo a bit. I'd like to see Sanson come in for Barkley to shore up the midfield, but we'll have to see on that one.  

The interesting thing here is Leicester actually haven't been in that amazing form for a while.

Look at their recent results.....

1-1 at Everton- Not a bad point at Goodison in normal times but Fulham and Newcastle have both won there in last month.

1-3 loss home to Leeds- Leeds completely killed them on the counter attack.

0-0 at Wolves- Leicester had the better chances but really didn't create much and given Wolves general form for last 3 months not beating them currently is a missed opportunity.

0-0 tonight and again they didn't create much at all despite being near full strength.

Think the last 10 minutes where Liverpool basically imploded has created an illusion they're in better form than they currently are but guess beating Liverpool could be result they need to kick on and secure top 4.

It will be tough for us. We never match up well v Leicester when they're at full strength and the worry is they'll get an early goal and it will all click for them. We simply have to play it like we did in the away game and hopefully get some counter attacks going second half. Or get an early goal and defend well like we did v Arsenal but think Leicester will score a couple if we give them the space Arsenal did.

My thoughts haven't changed, a point here is a very good result for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

The interesting thing here is Leicester actually haven't been in that amazing form for a while.

Look at their recent results.....

1-1 at Everton- Not a bad point at Goodison in normal times but Fulham and Newcastle have both won there in last month.

1-3 loss home to Leeds- Leeds completely killed them on the counter attack.

0-0 at Wolves- Leicester had the better chances but really didn't create much and given Wolves general form for last 3 months not beating them currently is a missed opportunity.

0-0 tonight and again they didn't create much at all despite being near full strength.

Think the last 10 minutes where Liverpool basically imploded has created an illusion they're in better form than they currently are but guess beating Liverpool could be result they need to kick on and secure top 4.

It will be tough for us. We never match up well v Leicester when they're at full strength and the worry is they'll get an early goal and it will all click for them. We simply have to play it like we did in the away game and hopefully get some counter attacks going second half. Or get an early goal and defend well like we did v Arsenal but think Leicester will score a couple if we give them the space Arsenal did.

My thoughts haven't changed, a point here is a very good result for us.

You say that but 5 games in February with 3 wins and 2 draws

12 games in 2021 with 8 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss

Just 3 losses in the 20 games since the start of December, 12 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses

We had a bad week where we drew with Everton and lost to Leeds, but it is certainly not bad form, especially with how many injuries we keep having

On 18/02/2021 at 07:58, Lord Willard said:

I feel like we'll lose this. So by Villa fashion we'll win this 3-0. We all get over the top of dreaming of European footie to then lose to Leeds. 

This is the cycle of being a Villa fan!!

I’m sure they played 3 at the back last time. It was a pretty dire game if I remember correctly.  0-0 written all over it until a moment of magic. 

I’d be happy with a boring 0-0 to be honest. When not playing great it’s important to continue to keeping clean sheets.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well Leeds and Fulham managed it. So why can’t we?

Yeah, Leeds and Fulham managed it... And we also managed it! But to manage it again on Sunday we'd have to be unrecognizable from the absolutely dreadful performance v Brighton (I mean in terms of the players in front of the defence). It would need to be a massive transformation, somehow. What the hell happened to us last Saturday?! Good grief. :< 

I think that Elmo might provide some old school, level headed defending. No bullshit, nothing too fancy.

His experience might come in handy and if he provides a bit more solidity in the back it might allow Bertie to do more of his magic in front of him.

Or he could be bang average and overrun by Barnes. Who knows.

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

Yeah, Leeds and Fulham managed it... And we also managed it! But to manage it again on Sunday we'd have to be unrecognizable from the absolutely dreadful performance v Brighton (I mean in terms of the players in front of the defence). It would need to be a massive transformation, somehow. What the hell happened to us last Saturday?! Good grief. :< 

Smith said he couldn’t even do a debrief it was that bad. Just a game to delete all together. 

struggling for any form of optimism for this game.

i think we need to play trez to give elmo more support. love traore but he won't track back as much as trez and we'll be exploited if he starts, which he likely will

i think we need sanson to start and add more energy in midfield, but we'll play barkley and the midfield will be overrun

i think we need marvelous to break the play up a bit, but we'll play an out of form luiz intead

4-0 loss :(

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fox1884 said:

Just 3 losses in the 20 games since the start of December, 12 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses

We had a bad week where we drew with Everton and lost to Leeds, but it is certainly not bad form, especially with how many injuries we keep having

Same for us then. 4 clean sheets out of last 6 games and picking up 3 wins yet the general view on here now is we're fading away given some poor performances in a couple of games.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think that Elmo might provide some old school, level headed defending. No bullshit, nothing too fancy.

His experience might come in handy and if he provides a bit more solidity in the back it might allow Bertie to do more of his magic in front of him.

Or he could be bang average and overrun by Barnes. Who knows.

We'll have to start Trez I think infront of him. Playing Traore there would be asking for trouble. Still not convinced Barkley is going to be dropped but if he's taken out you can move Bert to number 10 role or even just bring in another midfielder to try to mark Maddison out of the game with lack of space.

13 hours ago, Fox1884 said:

As you showed against liverpool, can have an average performance and kill teams off within a short space of time. Would bite your hand off for a point right now 

We welcome Leicester to Villa Park on Sunday afternoon. Games between the two clubs, have seemed to have had a pivotal impact on how the rest of the season, has gone for either club in recent years.

In season 2017/18 Leicester’s 3-2 comeback home win, seemed to galvanize our visitors into the tremendous run, that culminated in them becoming league champions. Conversely, defeat deflated us and put us on a dismal run that led to our eventual relegation that season. Last January, our somewhat unexpected cup semi-final win, seemed to rock Leicester's confidence. What had until then, seemed to be certain Champions League qualification, turned into a place in the Europa League for them, following a disappointing run of results. The win earned us a trip to Wembley, it may also have played a part in the late run of positive results, that led to us defying the odds and staying up last season. 

This time, our visitors again seem poised for a place in the Champions League and we have hopes of European football ourselves, rather than fears of a spell in the Championship, as was the case on those two previous occasions. Hopefully, Sunday’s result will not have too adverse an impact on either club’s season, particularly on our own! The Foxes are currently third in the table and are ten points ahead of us, although we have played two games less. A win would see us remain eighth and it could see us go above Everton. It would certainly bring us within striking range of the Foxes, who would begin to look over their shoulders, as we prepared to hunt them down, towards the tail end of the season.

We won at Leicester in October with a superb late winner from Ross Barclay. Lawro has this one down for a draw, which would not be a totally unacceptable outcome, but we are the home side (albeit we presently seem to do better away) and we are Aston Villa, so we should always aim to win at Villa Park.  A win would give us our first home league victory against our visitors since 2014 and our first league double over them since season 2003/04.

Overall, we have won 28 and have drawn 22 of the 89 league games, that have been played between the two clubs, so we do have some ground to make up. They have Maddison, Vardy, Barnes and Iheanacho (who like Vardy has a nasty habit of scoring against us), that we will need to be beware of. Leicester will no doubt be equally worried about Jack, Ollie and how on earth they will be able to score against our often-impenetrable defence. This could be a close one, or either team could run away with it. A win would be a confidence booster for either side. Just win it for us Villa!   :flag:

• Like 3