Diving and Acting

I don't think giving red cards for diving is a workable solution as it's far too subjective. They're already supposed to give yellows for it, but generally seem reluctant to tackle the issue. 

18 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think giving red cards for diving is a workable solution as it's far too subjective. They're already supposed to give yellows for it, but generally seem reluctant to tackle the issue. 

Problem is, you try and tackle the issue, and you end up being the offender, having done little wrong.

26 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Problem is, you try and tackle the issue, and you end up being the offender, having done little wrong.

In many ways I'm not sure it is solvable.

Any significant change will be driven by a cultural shift if/when more managers tell their players they don't want them going down easily. And I doubt that's happening any time soon because no one will want to be the first to break ranks and give up a potential advantage. 

Personally I find the diving frustrating, but I don't see it being as bad as 'good, honest lads' like Ben Mee trying to cause serious injuries. 

• Like 1
On 08/04/2021 at 14:25, weedman said:

You need stronger refs. I watched the 2nd half of the baggies Chelsea game and the ref kept play going all the time, didn't give those little "not really a foul but always seem to get given" free kicks and the game was so much better for it, was similar in the PSG game last night. 

Having a ref that let's the "soft" fouls go means the whole game is better. We were pretty bad at going down easy the other day, but the ref blew his whistle at virtually every opportunity, so the players are always going to try it on and the result is a broken fragmented game where there's no real chance for quality to show. 

Exactly. It won't completely solve the problem, but it won't get better until refs (i) remember that football is a contact sport, and (ii) give fouls/penalties when a foul has occurred yet the player stayed on his feet.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The amount Watkins is fouled all season, and gets very little. He actually gets fouled; or if it's not a foul, it isn't a dive and he gets a sent off.

It's a complete joke.

Worst I’ve seen all season because it wasn’t even an accidental mistake from the referee.

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

This has got to be overturned. I expect Purslow on the phone first thing in the morning to get this sorted. 

It can't cause the ref gave a yellow.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

...but he dived.

I love Ollie but it was a dive.

Ridiculous. He has a keeper flying in at him. He’s avoiding being injured at the very least.

• Like 2
Just now, a m ole said:

Ridiculous. He has a keeper flying in at him. He’s avoiding being injured at the very least.

He didn't dive out the way thougj or shift his weight away or shy away.He dived straight.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

...but he dived.

But.... There was contact. On the replays there was contact.... Ignored by var.... WTF!!

Just now, rodders0223 said:

He didn't dive out the way thougj or shift his weight away or shy away.He dived straight.

Lol ok. I’m not even going to bother.

18 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

This has got to be overturned. I expect Purslow on the phone first thing in the morning to get this sorted. 

It was a second yellow. You can't overturn those.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

...but he dived.

I thought he was running through at pace and jumped over the keeper. Predictably he ended up on the floor. I don't think he was trying to fool ref into giving a penalty.

• Like 1

If it's not a foul (unconvinced either way) it certainly isn't a dive. 

If that's rashford and Martinez, booked for diving wouldnt even come into the equation. 

• Like 3

Ref couldn't get the cards quick enough for ollie,  but your pogba maguire diving all over the place all game but no cards.

Corruption at its best

• Like 3

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â