Vass Hell?

irishmangiant

Could We do without Vassell?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Could We do without Vassell?

• Can Do Without Him
    • Can't Do Without Him

Presumably it means that 'somebody' (possibly somebody incapacitated in a bed somewhere, and with mild dementia, and with no motive for continuing this preposterous fight for power other than that he has a vast ego and despises the rest of mankind) has seen a way of quickly recouping the 'enormous' expenditure of the last few weeks, thus undoing at a stroke the small advances of this summer and ensuring that 10s of 1000s of fans are betrayed once more. Comments from DOL in the last couple of days suggest that he has more or less given up hope of landing any big money / big name signings ("...within financial restrictions...") and that the implication of big transfer funds a few months ago was just another cynical lie (did anyone with even half a brain and a shred of self-respect ever think differently deep down?). Furthermore the acquisition of Phillips was a direct replacement for the Roasting Lummox Cole so to sell Vassell at any price would mean that we are even worse off on the goal-shy striking front than we were last season. If Vassell does go then it's despicable - when will this nightmare finally end?

Much of our heart and soul lies in his feet, I think. If we sell him and continue buying the Bergers and Phillips's.... then we become Birmingham. A squad filled with journey-men.

He burns for Villa, and always will I think. He is fast and has enormous potential he has to exploit soon

How old is he now, 25? It's about time he turned that potential into goals me thinks. If he stays at Villa and doesn't score goals again next season he'll walk away for nothing when his contract is up next year, or we can sell him now and get a fee while we can.

I wonder what O'Leary is thinking regarding the Vassell situation??

DOL was on SSN regaridng this basically saying that its about time Vassell started scoring.

It is no secret that I am a big Daz fan and have said as much in an earlier post. The key to Daz might very well be to negotiate a new contract now before he starts to come into his prime and make and score goals once again. Daz strikes me as the kind of player that needs endorsement from the club's management and the fans. It is my belief that if he is fit and over his injury and with more back up we are about to have a golden season from Daz. The incentive is there. World Cup is a year away and wherever he plays next season that alone should encourage a return of form.

Don't give up on Daz.. the best is yet to come. BUT.... if the board aren't savvy enough to extend his contract we should expect one of two things.. either he will be given away foolishly a la Crouchie or he will go of his own accord on a Bosman next season. Neither of those last two options is desirable for us fans or for Daz!

a goal every 4.5 games though and last season was a goal every 7 games. people say the best is to come but i've been hearing that the last few seasons - how long are we going to wait?

all this about him needing endorsement from fans and management. i would have the ought the 20k a week is endoresment enough but if he needs his ego massaged surely he should give us something first, like 20 goals a season?

As explained previously in the topic, his real goal to game ratio is much better than that if you take into account the fact that 1/3rd of his Villa Appearances have been as substitute. People keep bringing up last season, he broke his ankle, mind you that was probably his fault too and if it wasn't Vass' fault then it must have been DOL's

ok, point taken about the sub but even if you factor out every game where he came on as a sub he's still only scoring a goal every 2.8 games which is still only going to get you 13 goals a season. also,k if people can always bring up his potential then I'll always bring up his goal/game ratio

i would love vassell to come good next season and smack 20 goals but i just cant see it happening now that DOL has purchased KP and there are rumours that he is after another striker.e

all this about him needing endorsement from fans and management. i would have the ought the 20k a week is endoresment enough but if he needs his ego massaged surely he should give us something first, like 20 goals a season?

Damiand, we would all love to see Daz score 20 goals , in fact as Villa fans we love to see anyone in claret and blue score 20 goals a season but you know that doesnt happen nearly often enough.

Just for a comparison looking at scoring averages for players currently being discussed on this forum

here is an approximate average for each player in the last few seasons.

Baros = 9 Phillips = 11

Angel = 10 Vassell = 8

and Lancs Villans favourite Crouch = 11

Expecting Daz to score 20 goals is unrealistic. In fact demanding it of any of the above players is over the top. :crylaugh:

I am not saying it can't happen but lets be realistic. Form tells us that a healthy Vassell is worth 10 to 13 goals on a good season and goodness knows how many assists. How many goals would Angel have scored two seasons back without Vassell diverting the defences ?

I know we have all heard a lot of rhetoric about Daz's career but it's a lot more positive than you allow and if he stays healthy this season and given the opportunities to play by DOL and Aitken I believe he will come good with between 10 and 14 goals. If he doesn't I will gladly buy you a pint but if he does I hope the favour will be returned :cheers:

BTW I enjoy your blog :D

Lancs Villans favourite Crouch = 11

eh! I liked the guy, thought he found his level at Soton, will look out of place at Redscouse, and I wish him luck.

I dislike his being brought up so often on here as he does that's all. FFS he was on the bench at Soton until our new striker got injured..........

Only at Villa would fans be placated by selling one of our better players to buy another one.

Only Villa would the fans be OK and satisfied with this.

I agree Richard :roll:

It wouldn't be so bad Richard if they replaced the players with better players, but to take a better club player and replace them with something similar or worse doesn't make any sense. But I keep forgetting who the gaffer is .... 'nuff said

Absolutley no point in selling Vass if its part of getting Baros in.

Both similar whilst Vass as the advantage of being a Villa fan, loves the club and is quicker than Baros.

Baros as the advantage of..........oh thats right nothing!

LancsVillan wrote

I dislike his being brought up so often on here as he does that's all. FFS he was on the bench at Soton until our new striker got injured..........

I understand the frustration LV but it's inevitable because that whole affair symptomises some of the poor management choices made by the Board over the years. That one may turn out to be just a bit more obvious than others. It shows a true lack of a coherent business expertise time after time. Why would we be so surprised ? As long as the One who controls the pursestrings continues to throw out peanuts monkeys will appear .

Nothing has changed at Villa Park. I just have to keep reading Ron Atkinsons memoirs and blink and realise this is so .

Back to the thread. I sincerely hope that DOL doesn't repeat the same type of transaction with Daz. If he does ask nothing less than 8M for him and insist on a sell on clause !

Absolutley no point in selling Vass if its part of getting Baros in.

Both similar whilst Vass as the advantage of being a Villa fan, loves the club and is quicker than Baros.

Baros as the advantage of..........oh thats right nothing!

I agree Jez . With Baros it maybe that his best games are behind him at the Euro Championships. With Daz his best games are ahead of him at Villa Park.. even if it is for only 11 to 13 goals a season plus the assists .

Vassell should not be allowed to leave...infact he should be given a new contract....he has not become bad over-night.....remember, he was injured most of the time last year....everyone thinks philips is our saviour but is he???? 31yrs of age and you think he's gonna last the pace.Vassell stills scares the shit out of opposing defenders, i think O'Leary should find a different role for him...perhaps getting him to play deep and run at opposing defenders at the opportune moment.