Vass Hell?

irishmangiant

Could We do without Vassell?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Could We do without Vassell?

• Can Do Without Him
    • Can't Do Without Him

In my opinon we should be trying to get Baros(even though is shite)

Yep, top scorer at Euro 2004 and then top scorer for the European Champions in 2004-5. And he's still young. Sounds crap to me. Why don't we ever get linked with anybody good, like that new fella Liverpool have just bought :roll:

Oh and Porto and Liverpool are really the best teams in europe and has nothing to do with luck!

Every team/player has a lucky competition. Ask him to do it for a season and he cannot, playing in a liverpool team where he was bascily the only striker playing he was struggling to reach double figures!!!

This is pointless anyway cause Villa will be linked but wont try and sign. O'leary is in Sweeden now and wouldnt look good if he spoke to Baros on the phone didnt work for Moyes and Bellend!

If we get Baros in then let him go as there both the same sort of player!

I like Vass more though, even though we moan about his finishing he gives us something different and we seem to miss him when he isnt playing!

but for a while vassell had the best strike rate out of all the England Strikers

I think we can all dismiss his 6 England goals at the beginning of his international career as a flash in the pan, since then Defoe and Shrek have emerged and alongside the penalty miss I doubt he'll play again. He's been found out I think.

Oh and Porto and Liverpool are really the best teams in europe and has nothing to do with luck!

Every team/player has a lucky competition. Ask him to do it for a season and he cannot, playing in a liverpool team where he was bascily the only striker playing he was struggling to reach double figures!!!

I didnt mean he was top scorer in the Champions League, he was their top scorer, period.

Applying the same logic on the Porto/Liverpool thing, Villa weren't the best team in Europe in 1982. Still, we beat the team who supposedly were the best team in the final. So what does that tell you?

Vassell I dnon't think will be first choice next term, so what we will see is him coming on for the last 20 minutes of games and giving everyhting. That it what he does (or did) for England and he was bloody good at it. A super-sub can get you probably an extra 12 points or so a season so ofcourse we should keep him. Also, he's one of the only Villa fans left in our squad.

Someone should make a poll, regarding attacking partnership options.

JPA - Phillips or Phillips - Daz or JPA - Daz etc... im curious what people think about Daz or Phillips.

Btw i dunno how to make a poll.... :oops:

Much of our heart and soul lies in his feet, I think. If we sell him and continue buying the Bergers and Phillips's.... then we become Birmingham. A squad filled with journey-men.

He burns for Villa, and always will I think. He is fast and has enormous potential he has to exploit soon

Flawed poll

If selling him meant bringing in a top striker then of course yes, sell him

If selling him meant going with three strikers next season then of course no.

So the answer is 'it depends'

I posted these Baros stats yesterday. If we compare his overall domestic average with Vassell, then they are both as bad as each other. Baros' international goal scoring rate is impressive but we arent the Czech Rep.

Baros Stats:

Liverpool - 106(40) apps, 27 goals = 3.926

Non-Liverpool - 61(0) apps, 12 goals = 5.083

Overall domestic career - 167(40) apps, 39 goals = 4.282

Czech Rep - 37(6) apps, 25 goals = 1.480

Overall - 204(46) apps, 64 goals = 3.188

Premier League only:

Goals: 19

Avg goals/game: 0.29

Appearances: 66

Subs. (on/off): 21/25

Vass

Villa - 201(77) apps, 44 goals = 4.568

International - 22 (17) apps, 6 goals = 3.667

Overall - 223 (95) apps, 50 goals = 4.460

Premier League only:

Goals: 35

Avg goals/game: 0.22

Appearances: 162

Subs. (on/off): 55/45

I'm split on this. I think it would be nice to keep him, but strictly speaking we can do without him. He is not the difference between midtable and relegation, and he would be easily replaceable in the sense that plenty of other strikers score more goals than he does. I'm 50-50 on it. If we could guarantee it would bring in someone else then let him go - but on the other hand it probably wouldn't, so we'd be down a player yet again.

Much of our heart and soul lies in his feet, I think. If we sell him and continue buying the Bergers and Phillips's.... then we become Birmingham. A squad filled with journey-men.

He burns for Villa, and always will I think. He is fast and has enormous potential he has to exploit soon

How old is he now, 25? It's about time he turned that potential into goals me thinks. If he stays at Villa and doesn't score goals again next season he'll walk away for nothing when his contract is up next year, or we can sell him now and get a fee while we can.

I wonder what O'Leary is thinking regarding the Vassell situation??

I think we'd be foolish to get rid of Vassell, although of course we could do without him. It's surprising that people want to get rid of a home-grown England international on the back of one poor, injury-plagued season. If that's so, let's get rid of Angel too while we're about it.. Noone was coming out with this stuff at the end of O'Leary's first season.

Two other things - I don't think we'd get that much money for Vassell (the massively inflated prices for English players notwithstanding), and I don't have that much faith we'd get in anyone who be so much better.