Match Thread: Brighton v Villa

limpid

Not an enjoyable half to watch, but I still think we'll win this. Our gameplan seems to be to riskily pass it around our back 4 and then kick it long and lose the ball. Thankfully Martinez bailed us out.

Barkley doesn't seem to be offering anything, not sure why he's on the pitch. Traore has hardly seen the ball but every time he does he seemed to pass it behind him to an opposition player. Madness.

Lucky that it's still 0-0 really. Credit to Brighton but we've got to step it up several gears if we want the 3 points.

Edited by Panto_Villan

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

the problem is that this is clearly the way to nullify us.....and any team that does it to us makes us look like sunday leaguer's.

It can nullify any team. The problems with doing a high press are energy levels and that if you do get caught out then your formation has lost all structure. 
I agree though, it’s doing a number on us here... I think if we can start using our flanks better that might help to shift their numbers and open them a little more.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Trying not to be a prick Re: Barkley again, but when I see Ollie sprinting everywhere, putting in tackles, getting booted and kicked all over the place, in comparison, it upsets me.

Yeah, Barkley plays in energy preserve mode. It's not good enough. If he doesn't have the stamina yet to make it 90 minutes then do 60 really good ones and leave the game exhausted having done a good job.

Enough with this less than 100% effort style.

• Like 4

A bit of reality guys we ain't a top 4 side, we aren't even close we are a side that stopped up by the skin of our teeth and have excelled so far this season.

We don't have the right to turn up at places like Brighton and run the show.

We've been poor, but we are 0-0 and will I'm sure be better second half.

• Like 3

We can’t play under a press this season. Can’t  string any possession in the middle; too predictable on the left.

Barkley and McGinn not on it. Need to get Traore into the game. For me Barkley off, Jack goes middle with AEG on the left. Would think about Nakamba or Sanson coming on for McGinn too, possibly Luiz too with Nakamba anchoring the middle with more aggression with those in front of him.

Edited by thunderball

Their winning all the lose balls and the 50/50 . Think our formation is to blame, Bert hasn't had a touch and Barkley and Jack are being crowded out . Need to change our shape and gain some control in midfield maybe putting another player in there , not sure who but we have a choice of 3, maybe Sansom.

Despite Brighton being the better team they haven't produced many clear cut chances , how long can Brighton keep this work rate up and can we stop them scoring and maybe , just maybe nick it , Ramsey the super sub.........

Massive changes and massive improvement needed if we are to get anything from this.

Possibly the worst team performance (Emi aside) of the season.

I also don't understand dropping Nakamba who was our best cm in the 2 games he has played.

Whatever has happened between Luiz and McGinn, suddenly they are unable to play together.