Match Thread: Brighton v Villa

limpid

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Grealish has been awful for his usual standards.

I can't believe how many times we've miscontrolled the ball or fell over.

Watkins is trying but has no support, the three behind him have been so so poor.

He looks tired, maybe from going loco, down in Acapulco?

"Proceeds to leave the match thread"

A bad combination of Brighton pressing well and playing well, and us having a good handful of players having below average games.

Barkley, Grealish, McGinn and Luiz all look out of sorts, to me. Traore and Watkins have barely touched it, mainly because they’re feeding on scraps and everything seems to be going through the McGinn/Grealish area, but being lost 8/10 times.

Classic Smith half-time rant needed, to change us from ugly ducklings into a bunch of ass-kicking swans! 

• Like 1

Watkins has been like bent under mcleish

"passes" to him and been balls smashed in his general direction, with then no team mate in any kind of support, the opposition defence happy to a bit rough with him 

"not done much" but what exactly is he supposed to do? 

Our general play behind him is so poor its pointless having a striker, we're just setting him up to get kicked 

• Like 3

Just now, Stratvillan said:

I agree, it's not that Barkley is having a mate, it's the formation isnt allowing us time on the ball. Sanson or nakamba would help.

Yeah that’s it for me. I don’t think it’s RB’s fault it is the formation which means our midfield always have one less man than theirs. 

Ok time to be objective on this, I will try. We have not played well and thats obvious.

Our passing has been terrible and we are blasting the ball around. This is because of the high press. 

We are not tracking runners from the midfield and this is leading to dangerous chances.

Brighton are man marking Grealish with 2 men and Barkley with Bissouma. This has caused us grief no end.

Positive end, we have figured out ball over the top to counter thr high press and got some results from it.

Emi looks back on form and doing well.

Lets see how the second half goes.

Don’t like to knock our own players but Barkley is not putting enough effort in imo

Knows he’s a shoe in as Chelski loan will want him playing as much as possible 

Reckon his attitude is what’s held his career back

Shame cus he is a talented player and I like him but he needs to get his finger out

• Like 1

How are we calling individual players out when only Emi and possibly Mings are up to standard?

Taking that half as a positive result considering we haven't conceded, last season that wouldn't be the case. Rocket up the arse from Smith and a big reaction now hopefully. 

• Like 1

Poor. As I alluded to in the pre-match thread, Barkley is neither in the game going forwards, or backwards. When he gets it he gets hustled off it or gives it away, he has to be taken off at halftime, with McGinn going into his position and Nakamba slotting back at DM. We’ve been completely outnumbered in the middle of the pitch, again as I worried we might be in the prematch thread. We have to push Luiz a bit further into midfield and trust Nakamba to sweep up with his energy. Maybe bring on Ramsey for Barkley and keep McGinn a bit further back as an alternative. But a change has to be made, can’t afford to carry Barkley any longer I’m afraid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Brighton playing well tbf. Tactical tweak needed.

id bring on Davis for Barkley to take the attention away from Watkins. Sanson for Luiz to maintain the tempo/energy in midfield (and protect Luiz who is on a yellow). Then trez for Traore with 15 to go.

Davis on for Barkley might work.

Luiz has been our best midfielder, no way I'd have him off (also, I don't think he's been booked).