Match Thread: Brighton v Villa

limpid

Brighton playing well tbf. Tactical tweak needed.

id bring on Davis for Barkley to take the attention away from Watkins. Sanson for Luiz to maintain the tempo/energy in midfield (and protect Luiz who is on a yellow). Then trez for Traore with 15 to go.

• Like 3

Villa have been very sloppy in possession so far. Very poor first half performance but Smith will get into them at half time so would expect something much better in the second half. Can’t be any worse surely?

• Like 1

Brighton putting in the hard work making us look bad. 

We seem to be stuck in limbo unable to decide if we're going to hit them on the counter or keep the ball and make them chase it.

Poor tempo off and on the ball. 

1 minute ago, penguin said:

When we attack they somehow have 20 players in their half to our 3 and when they attack they have 2 free men at all times?

What the **** is going on?

Was just about to say they look like they've got more men on the pitch; their work rate has been very good.

Wow that was bad. Pretty fortunate to be 0-0. 

Barkley hasn't been any worse than the rest of them, the whole team in that first half has been battered by Brighton. The lot of them need to wake up. 

We've been performing like this for a few weeks now though, it's not really a shock anymore. Luckily we've managed to pick up a couple wins in that time but performances have dropped big time from us. 

If we come out like that again for the 2nd half then it'll just be a matter of time until Brighton score. 

Hmm... I think their high press is killing us at the moment and they aren’t giving us a second on the ball. I also think that Luiz and McGinn are getting outnumbered too easily in midfield. I think I would take off Barkley and put on Sanson and play more of a midfield 3 with Grealish, Ollie and Traore as a front three in possession and a five man mid when out of possession

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blunther said:

Crikey. Whatever happens I hope we don't send the same eleven back out. Barkley off for me. When he's had the ball he's been sloppy, but the second striker thing is wrong for this game, the ball isn't getting there. I'd stick Marv or the new boy in for him and try and win back midfield. Grealish and Traore also been ineffective.

If Smith doesn’t make a sub at half time then I have to question which game he has been watching

Lucky to come through at 0-0. 

Yeet Barkley off, Sanson in as an 8 and go 4-3-3. Ollie can’t do his target man gig against Dunk and we need to change up the shape. SJM and Traore both well off the pace too. Frustrating as f*** to watch