What is your favourite screw to use?

lapal_fan

what is the best screw?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. what is the best screw?

• Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 80mm)
    • Diall Carbon Steel decking screw (4mm x 40mm)
    • Hardiebacker Metal Screw (8mm x 32mm)
    • Diall steel plasterboard screw (3.5mm x 55mm)
    • Easydrive Carbon steel grub screw
    • Zinc-plated carbon steel coach screws (8mm x 140mm)
    • Turbodrive Yellow zinc-plated steel wood screw (4mm x 16mm)
    • Diall carbon raised countersunk switch box screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Silverscrew zinc-plated carbon steel multi-material purpose screw (6mm x 40mm)
    • Floor-tite zinc plated flat countersunk fireboard security screw (4.2mm x 55mm)
    • Metal mirror screws
    • Zinc plated steel concrete screw (7.9mm x 92mm)
    • Carbon m4 carbon steel pan head machine screw & nut (L 30mm)
    • Stainless steel wood screw (5mm x 50mm)

On 11/02/2021 at 10:48, Risso said:

I'm with him. They get stripped so eaily, and you just end up with a round hole in the top. Flat, slotted screws all the way.

This, real men use flat slotted screws

On 11/02/2021 at 13:57, sidcow said:

Never forget when I got one of those instead of those stupid 2 lever types that never work. Changed my life. 

Don't even know where it is now, can't remember the last time I had a wine bottle with a cork in the UK. 

My favourite ever wine bottle opener was used in Highbury Park circa 1985 when my future first proper girlfriend pushed a Cork into the bottle using her stiletto heel. 

I wondered where this was going right up to the end

On 11/02/2021 at 10:48, Risso said:

Flat, slotted screws all the way.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

This, real men use flat slotted screws

What is wrong with you people? Flat slotted screws are the worst ones.

You put your tool in the slot and start to screw away...and then it slips out. Damn!  No, If you want to screw with a pump action, or even use an electrical tool, it’s vital the tip stays in place which means a flat head is simply out of the picture. Of course you need to be well equipped in the tool department, but if you are then you can take screwing to the next level. I love the feel of mine in the hand, it seems to slot into place almost instinctively and then with a steady action get the job done.
Yep it’s a Phillips screwdriver / cross headed situation for me, every time.

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

What is wrong with you people? Flat slotted screws are the worst ones.

You put your tool in the slot and start to screw away...and then it slips out. Damn!  No, If you want to screw with a pump action, or even use an electrical tool, it’s vital the tip stays in place which means a flat head is simply out of the picture. Of course you need to be well equipped in the tool department, but if you are then you can take screwing to the next level. I love the feel of mine in the hand, it seems to slot into place almost instinctively and then with a steady action get the job done.
Yep it’s a Phillips screwdriver / cross headed situation for me, every time.

Blandy drinks half pints of shandy with his little finger pointing in the air as he does so - FACT

Edited by Follyfoot

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I wondered where this was going right up to the end

We went quite a long way, couldn't believe my luck to be fair. Then I threw up, but it's up there as one of the best nights of my life.  The opening wine with her stiletto is a nice anecdote though, like an added bonus. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Of course you need to be well equipped in the tool department, but if you are then you can take screwing to the next level. I love the feel of mine in the hand, it seems to slot into place almost instinctively and then with a steady action get the job done.

Blatant PFK. 

• Like 2

Â