What is your favourite screw to use?

lapal_fan

what is the best screw?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. what is the best screw?

• Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 80mm)
    • Diall Carbon Steel decking screw (4mm x 40mm)
    • Hardiebacker Metal Screw (8mm x 32mm)
    • Diall steel plasterboard screw (3.5mm x 55mm)
    • Easydrive Carbon steel grub screw
    • Zinc-plated carbon steel coach screws (8mm x 140mm)
    • Turbodrive Yellow zinc-plated steel wood screw (4mm x 16mm)
    • Diall carbon raised countersunk switch box screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Silverscrew zinc-plated carbon steel multi-material purpose screw (6mm x 40mm)
    • Floor-tite zinc plated flat countersunk fireboard security screw (4.2mm x 55mm)
    • Metal mirror screws
    • Zinc plated steel concrete screw (7.9mm x 92mm)
    • Carbon m4 carbon steel pan head machine screw & nut (L 30mm)
    • Stainless steel wood screw (5mm x 50mm)

The arsehole that owned this house before me never knowingly used two of the same screw on the same job.

Hinge with four screw holes? He’ll have only used three screws, each one requiring a different screwdriver.

Bracket with three holes? Well that’ll be a giant 1960’s slotted screw that’s been reclaimed from somewhere that was painted gloss green, a dinky little brass Philips that surely doesn’t reach beyond the wallpaper, and maybe a bit of dowel he’s hammered home, rather than bother with screw number three.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is obviously the correct answer, specifically one of these

51gGeK8EPtL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Never forget when I got one of those instead of those stupid 2 lever types that never work. Changed my life. 

Don't even know where it is now, can't remember the last time I had a wine bottle with a cork in the UK. 

My favourite ever wine bottle opener was used in Highbury Park circa 1985 when my future first proper girlfriend pushed a Cork into the bottle using her stiletto heel. 

Can anyone explain to me those screws you place onto a drill tip then drill it straight into a wall. 

Are they only good on plaster and the like, I assume you couldn't use that set up to drill a couple of solid bits of wood together, at least not without a pilot hole. 

They intrigue me though, just whapping in a dozen screws in a couple of minutes. 

Whenever I try to use my drill as a screwdriver it just strips the head of the screw as soon as you get a tiny bit of resistance. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Whenever I try to use my drill as a screwdriver it just strips the head of the screw as soon as you get a tiny bit of resistance. 

This. Never managed to make it work. 

On 11/02/2021 at 14:20, sidcow said:

Whenever I try to use my drill as a screwdriver it just strips the head of the screw as soon as you get a tiny bit of resistance

I think it depends on the material you’re drilling into. I’ve been helping the mrs in converting our porch into a little office and was putting up a pole for coats and the like. Tried to drill a screw into the raw plug but nope, weren’t having it. 

Pilot holes defo help. Learn this when putting up new trellis last year. Could also be using the wrong drill bit as there are different types of Phillips head and pozidriv screws which are similar.

10 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

Tried to drill a screw into the raw plug

A wall plug (UK English), also known as an anchor (US) or "Rawlplug" (UK), is a fibre or plastic (originally wood) insert used to enable the attachment of a screw in material that is porous or brittle or that would otherwise not support the weight of the object attached with the screw.

Wiki

On 11/02/2021 at 14:20, sidcow said:

On 11/02/2021 at 14:50, mjmooney said:

This. Never managed to make it work. 

1) make sure you are using the correct bit for the screw, just because it fits doesn't mean its right

2) start slow with plenty of torque and only increase speed when the screw is at least half in

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

There's the non metric ones too

But ones with a Robertson head are the best ...

robertson screw robertson head screw

Those look ace. Why aren't all screws like that? 

Â