What is your favourite screw to use?

lapal_fan

what is the best screw?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. what is the best screw?

• Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Goldscrew Yellow zinc-plated carbon steel wood screw (5mm x 80mm)
    • Diall Carbon Steel decking screw (4mm x 40mm)
    • Hardiebacker Metal Screw (8mm x 32mm)
    • Diall steel plasterboard screw (3.5mm x 55mm)
    • Easydrive Carbon steel grub screw
    • Zinc-plated carbon steel coach screws (8mm x 140mm)
    • Turbodrive Yellow zinc-plated steel wood screw (4mm x 16mm)
    • Diall carbon raised countersunk switch box screw (5mm x 60mm)
    • Silverscrew zinc-plated carbon steel multi-material purpose screw (6mm x 40mm)
    • Floor-tite zinc plated flat countersunk fireboard security screw (4.2mm x 55mm)
    • Metal mirror screws
    • Zinc plated steel concrete screw (7.9mm x 92mm)
    • Carbon m4 carbon steel pan head machine screw & nut (L 30mm)
    • Stainless steel wood screw (5mm x 50mm)

We bought our house off an old couple who had bought it new in 1960.

Obviously over the years he carried out various bits of DIY all over the place that I encounter.  The thing that had struck me is that there is not a Phillips head screw to be found anywhere.  I've concluded he didn't approve of them. 

Is this a generational thing? Proper god fearing screws should be slotted and cross head screws are probably forrin, spawn of the Devil screws? 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Obviously over the years he carried out various bits of DIY all over the place that I encounter.  The thing that had struck me is that there is not a Phillips head screw to be found anywhere.  I've concluded he didn't approve of them. 

Is this a generational thing? Proper god fearing screws should be slotted and cross head screws are probably forrin, spawn of the Devil screws? 

In my house, the previous owners were obviously "budding" DIY'ers and in the wooden newel post at the top of the stairs, they drilled a hole, put a raw plug and screwed their baby gate to it.

why would you not just screw into wood?! 

dumbasses. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm with him. They get stripped so eaily, and you just end up with a round hole in the top. Flat, slotted screws all the way.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

In my house, the previous owners were obviously "budding" DIY'ers and in the wooden newel post at the top of the stairs, they drilled a hole, put a raw plug and screwed their baby gate to it.

why would you not just screw into wood?! 

dumbasses. 

mr t wtf GIF

• Haha 1

Â