The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Looking at our remaining fixtures we will be doing well to average a point per game between now and the end of season. If we do  manage it, fifty plus points won't be a bad progession from last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Looking at our remaining fixtures we will be doing well to average a point per game between now and the end of season. If we do  manage it, fifty plus points won't be a bad progession from last season.

Won't be bad? It'll be bloody brilliant.

• Like 3

Depending on domestic cup results and results in Europe, it's still possible that fifth won't get you into any European competition this season, it's blummin' unlikely but still possible.

What is possible, and slightly amusing, is that when they created the Europa Conference, created for Europe's minnows, it would seem UEFA hadn't noticed how far down the Premier league you have to go in order to find a smaller club - so we're looking at an inaugural competition next season where there's a very good chance we'll be represented by Spurs or Liverpool, who would be huge favourites to win the final. That final is being held in Albania, in a stadium that holds 22,500. Imagine telling Liverpool they're getting 4,000 tickets to a European final, even a shit one. It's going to be hilarious.

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Depending on domestic cup results and results in Europe, it's still possible that fifth won't get you into any European competition this season, it's blummin' unlikely but still possible.

What is possible, and slightly amusing, is that when they created the Europa Conference, created for Europe's minnows, it would seem UEFA hadn't noticed how far down the Premier league you have to go in order to find a smaller club - so we're looking at an inaugural competition next season where there's a very good chance we'll be represented by Spurs or Liverpool, who would be huge favourites to win the final. That final is being held in Albania, in a stadium that holds 22,500. Imagine telling Liverpool they're getting 4,000 tickets to a European final, even a shit one. It's going to be hilarious.

If I’m reading the format correctly. I think the team from England will be favourites no matter who they are.

It almost sounds like an extended version of the Intertoto cup. 

• Like 1

Weird to think that having won our first four games of the season, we have only gone on to win nine of the next 26 games... feels like we have done better than that would suggest. 

Don’t really know what I thought of that. Guess I was surprised looking at the table just now and seeing us in 11th. 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Weird to think that having won our first four games of the season, we have only gone on to win nine of the next 26 games... feels like we have done better than that would suggest. 

Don’t really know what I thought of that. Guess I was surprised looking at the table just now and seeing us in 11th. 

But winning 9 of 26 games isn’t that bad...extrapolate that out to a full season is 13 maybe pushing 14 wins.  That’s average for a top ten season surprisingly.

Season 15/16 - 9th place had 14 wins

Season 16/17 - 8th place had 12 wins

Season 17/18 - 7th place had 14 wins

Season 18/19 - 8th place had 15 wins

Season 19/20 - 8th place had 14 wins.

Our problem has been turning some of those close losses into draws.  We have a fairly high in the negative sense draw to loss ratio.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Perfect result with the draw yesterday and now West Ham losing too, plus they’ve got Rice injured and Lingard just went off.

It’s on! A little bit of optimism never hurt did it?

frontpage chances GIF

always love this gif, has to be used at every opportunity 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Shall we try a prediction:

Champions League:

• Man City (1st)
  • Man Utd (2nd)
  • Leicester (3rd)
  • Chelsea (4th)
  • Arsenal (Europa League winners)

Europa League:

• Liverpool (5th)

Europa Conference League 

• West Ham (6th)

Given Arsenal's unpredictability I'm not so sure about Arsenal winning the Europa League. Cant argue with the rest.

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Shall we try a prediction:

Champions League:

• Man City (1st)
  • Man Utd (2nd)
  • Leicester (3rd)
  • Chelsea (4th)
  • Arsenal (Europa League winners)

Europa League:

• Liverpool (5th)

Europa Conference League 

• West Ham (6th)

Think Leicester will bottle it again

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Perfect result with the draw yesterday and now West Ham losing too, plus they’ve got Rice injured and Lingard just went off.

It’s on! A little bit of optimism never hurt did it?

I can see us losing our next two tbh. Man. City is obviously understandable but not really sure a home defeat to West Brom can just be dismissed on here and elsewhere. They are scoring plenty and will have to go all out to win so that will be difficult for us as we're running out of players to counter effectively.

To have any chance of finishing 8th or 9th we need 4 points off Everton anyway.

I really think it’s looking increasingly like Wolves will finish above us. That would be so annoying considering how far they were behind us. It also shows how badly we have been doing because Wolves have also been rubbish!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I really think it’s looking increasingly like Wolves will finish above us. That would be so annoying considering how far they were behind us. It also shows how badly we have been doing because Wolves have also been rubbish!

Would mean a serious collapse from us 

On 17/04/2021 at 13:17, Vive_La_Villa said:

The mighty West Ham missing a couple of key players and getting destroyed by Newcastle. 

West Ham getting so many plaudits but the truth is if we win our 2 games in hand (unlikely) and we won our 2 games against them (we was arguably very unlucky in both) we’d be above them.

• Like 1