The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Let's be honest. Europe would have been a ridiculous achievement. 

We've built a solid base to build on. It's been a long time since we've been a steady Premier league team. Fine with me doing that whilst we look to build. 

It's not like the sport of football ends in a couple of years and it's our last chance to get into Europe. Long term journey with these owners. 

We've blown it, pity as we seemed to be flying high.

If we could have just maintained some form.

Teams I feel have thought us out, we are too light in the midfield. Pressure us and we'll give the ball away repeatedly and crack.

It was always a step too far though.

This is very nearly a top-10 starting 11 we have. But it's a long, long way away from being a top-10 squad.

We were never going to have enough about us to qualify for Europe and us running out of steam towards the second half of the season was predictable if not a given.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We've blown it, pity as we seemed to be flying high.

If we could have just maintained some form.

Teams I feel have thought us out, we are too light in the midfield. Pressure us and we'll give the ball away repeatedly and crack.

It was always a step too far though.

I'm not sure it's fair to say we've blown it. It was always going to be a massive ask. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure it's fair to say we've blown it. It was always going to be a massive ask. 

Top 10?

After we beat Leeds about 5 games ago we were 4 points clear with two games in hand so that's the frustration for me particularly as we've played Sheffield United and Newcastle since that game.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Top 10?

After we beat Leeds about 5 games ago we were 4 points clear with two games in hand so that's the frustration for me particularly as we've played Sheffield United and Newcastle since that game.

No, Europe. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many people on here are interested in finishing in a European spot and how many are more interested in Villa’s position relative to that of Leeds.

I can’t help but think if Villa finished sixth and Leeds finished fifth, there would be some complaints from some posters and there would probably be some posts from others trying to convey their genuine disappointment with one hand.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Let's be honest. Europe would have been a ridiculous achievement. 

We've built a solid base to build on. It's been a long time since we've been a steady Premier league team. Fine with me doing that whilst we look to build. 

It's not like the sport of football ends in a couple of years and it's our last chance to get into Europe. Long term journey with these owners. 

I agree with you on this one. We clearly are not ready for it.  We dont have the squad and alot of the players are not good enough.

It was avery good opportunity for us though as we could have achieved it this year with some consistency.

I have my reservations whether smith can take us to that level but time will tell. Smiths made us a mid table  team in 2 seasons which is a good achievement 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep, some people get obsessed by what Leeds or Newcastle are doing. Not a fan of either club but prefer to concentrate on what we are doing

Yep, Leeds might well finish higher, I suspect they will. Good for them. Like Sheff Utd did. Like Newcastle did. Like Wolves did. They’re all still massively ahead of Villa in their attempt to break into the top six.

Presumably if Leeds spend 70 or 80m in the summer and they don’t kick on from whatever position they finish in, say 9th....presumably there will be a load of folks in the relevant thread saying Bielsa’s on borrowed time and/or holding them back. That’s how it works, after all.

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ok fair point, I'm emotional perhaps.

However we were in a great position and our form against teams around us and below us has really hurt us, hence my emotional outburst!

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However we were in a great position and our form against teams around us and below us has really hurt us, hence my emotional outburst!

You're not alone.

We were once in with a shout but now it's not even a conversation worth having.

Lock the thread.    :ph34r:

• Like 1

Why in the world would you want a Europa League spot? A ginger stepchild of a competition. 

I have no appetite to see away days in Belarus drain our developing squad of all its energy and us fall down the table. 

All that matters is the transfer window now. Wingers and a midfielder. I want established names!

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yep, Leeds might well finish higher, I suspect they will. Good for them. Like Sheff Utd did. Like Newcastle did. Like Wolves did. They’re all still massively ahead of Villa in their attempt to break into the top six.

Presumably if Leeds spend 70 or 80m in the summer and they don’t kick on from whatever position they finish in, say 9th....presumably there will be a load of folks in the relevant thread saying Bielsa’s on borrowed time and/or holding them back. That’s how it works, after all.

this time last season it was Wilder the golden manager that Smith should aspire to be like :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Run out of likes but I get that to some extent. 

When you look how closed that top 7 usually is, it takes such a level of consistency to get in there above one of the usual lot.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Time to change the thread's title to "The Race for finishing above Leeds"

Who gives a shit about Leeds. Let them win the league for all I care, I hope Villa finish as high as possible, regardless of other teams.

• Like 2

It was always a long shot, and our chances went when Jack got injured. We just don't have the squad yet, and it was always a long shot to catch two of West ham, spurs and Everton.

Let's remember we have been terrible for a long time, and if we get top ten that would be a real improvement.

9 minutes ago, kevpants said:

Why in the world would you want a Europa League spot? A ginger stepchild of a competition. 

I have no appetite to see away days in Belarus drain our developing squad of all its energy and us fall down the table. 

All that matters is the transfer window now. Wingers and a midfielder. I want established names!

That basically admitting you don't want success. 5 out of the 8 clubs in the quarter finals have won at least one major European trophy.