The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Europe is a tough ask. I'd be amazed if we don't break the 50pt barrier and like you would be more than happy with another 11 pts. what an amazing season that would mean. 

Great place to build for next year. 

I'm not on about europe tbf, 8th would do me fine and finishing above Everton and Arsenal is very good season. Need minimum of 55 points to do that I think but it's more in the eye of the "we're finishing 14th" non-believers on here.😉

We remain 9 points ahead of Wolves who are 14th so would require an even worse run than we've been on for last two months to be in serious danger of that happening.

• Like 1

When will the Everton game be rescheduled I wonder, you’d have thought it would have been set by now.

Looking at the schedule I can see us playing Everton twice in the space of a few days potentially, not sure where else they can fit it in.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Getting in Europe would be great for the club, would probably have all sorts of high profile players wanting to join us if we offer them a contract and were after them.

I do think if we obtained Europe that we wouldn't do well at first, would most likely do bad because we don't have depth and quality in that depth. That can be sorted over some seasons and hopefully that the better quality players filtering in over seasons would change how well we do on field.

But so long as we were to do reasonable, the main thing would be each season to build it all up to be better at Europe just like we hope to in the prem. We just can't lose sight of what's most important which would be to not favour anything else like Europe or cup wins over the premier League. Remember without being well positioned in the premier, you don't get Europe at all, so league position should always take priority.

As much as I'd love for us to squeak into Europe this season and accelerate our progression...  I too agree with Rigo- I think we have left it too late.  Especially given the uncertainty with JG.  At the beginning of the season I was predicting/hoping for 50-55 points this season.  We are well on our way to achieve that- which is significant progress from last season.

In order to get Europe imo, we likely need to break 60 points.  16+ points from our final 9.  Likely 5W 1D 3L from 9.  That sounds pretty doable until one looks at the squads we play.  Very tough matches.  We need to win WBA, CP, Everton, then likely win 2 more games against teams we will be underdogs against.  Could we beat Everton twice?  Beat ManU?  Spurs?  Citeh?  Maybe 4 wins and 4 draws?  Its a tough ask- but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

That doesn't take into account the teams above us need to struggle down the stretch as well.  2-3 teams are around 50pts already and we need to catch them, we need them to drop points and struggle to the finish.

Edited by ejs1111
  • Like 1

No Europe is fine this season. Next season is the one we go for it. Think everyone at the club share that ambition and target and will see it as a realistic challenge. Smith said from day dot when he joined its about getting this club back where it belongs, in the top 6 of the PL. Id say we’re on course.

The gap has already been cut tremendously in those 2 years 👌& The investment will keep coming.

Its all worked out ridiculously perfect from that day we learned we may go into administration. I will always feel we are back in our rightful place now, but recognise what a huge relief that this is true also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We're not even going to finish top half are we? Even though our defence is currently third best in the league.:bang:

Disappointing for me.

We have no chance of Europe (thankfully) I agree and think we will not finish top half but hardly disappointing after last season? We've made huge progress.

I think we will end up 11th which will be disappointing but still a decent effort. Leeds will almost certainly finish above us now but they deserve it. They have been constantly good all season. 

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We have no chance of Europe (thankfully) I agree and think we will not finish top half but hardly disappointing after last season? We've made huge progress.

We've made progress for sure....but we also need to get out of this mentality of patting ourselves on the back anytime we avoid relegation. In recent seasons Wolves, Burnley, Sheffield United, Newcastle and potentially now Leeds as newly promoted teams have all finished in top 10 so it's not some impossible task to do and we have been pretty good for 3/4 of the season so really disappointing it all to fizzle out to me, again something that's just too easily accepted as it's what we consistantly do in last 20 years just fading in seasons.

Think people are a little complacent just assuming we'll rise up another 3-4 places no problem next season from wherever we finish this season. Will probably require no major injuries next season and us to have an even better transfer window than last summer so big ask.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We've made progress for sure....but we also need to get out of this mentality of patting ourselves on the back anytime we avoid relegation. In recent seasons Wolves, Burnley, Sheffield United, Newcastle and potentially now Leeds as newly promoted teams have all finished in top 10 so it's not some impossible task to do and we have been pretty good for 3/4 of the season so really disappointing it all to fizzle out to me, again something that's just too easily accepted as it's what we consistantly do in last 20 years just fading in seasons.

Think people are a little complacent just assuming we'll rise up another 3-4 places no problem next season from wherever we finish this season. Will probably require no major injuries next season and us to have an even better transfer window than last summer so big ask.

But all of them have struggled to solidify it, I would rather finish 11th if it meant long term we improved to be a top 8 club

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

But all of them have struggled to solidify it, I would rather finish 11th if it meant long term we improved to be a top 8 club

Want a bit more in long term than just being 8th.

I think I'm just a bit impatient now and a bit fearful given what happened in last decade that everything will just collapse like a pack of cards as in next two years we'll probably see Grealish leave the club and that will leave a massive void.

So rather have one season where we peak and actually win something and play in europe and then 2-3 years of steady bulding...and then we just give up as soon as Jack leaves as we slide back down the league.

Time will tell. We've done fine this season but it's a massive club mentality problem we constantly keep falling away as soon as February hits for many different reasons in last 20 years.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Want a bit more in long term than just being 8th.

I think I'm just a bit impatient now and a bit fearful given what happened in last decade that everything will just collapse like a pack of cards as in next two years we'll probably see Grealish leave the club and that will leave a massive void.

So rather have one season where we peak and actually win something and play in europe and then 2-3 years of steady bulding...and then we just give up as soon as Jack leaves as we slide back down the league.

Time will tell. We've done fine this season but it's a massive club mentality problem we constantly keep falling away as soon as February hits for many different reasons in last 20 years.

Everybody wants to be more than 8 but is already 7 teams miles ahead of us in terms of infrastructure and stature and then West Ham, Everton and Leeds spending to try get into the top 8 as well plus if Newcastle ever get that billionaire owner

Its not some easy task

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Everybody wants to be more than 8 but is already 7 teams miles ahead of us in terms of infrastructure and stature and then West Ham, Everton and Leeds spending to try get into the top 8 as well plus if Newcastle ever get that billionaire owner

Its not some easy task

I'd take league cup and 8th no problem in fairness. Schedule was messed up right at start of the season so hopefully next season with calendar back to normal we can have another good go at it with a better squad to pick from.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I'd take league cup and 8th no problem in fairness. Schedule was messed up right at start of the season so hopefully next season with calendar back to normal we can have another good go at it with a better squad to pick from.

i dont think there is any danger of us finishing 8th m8.....

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think there is any danger of us finishing 8th m8.....

I mean next season, 7th or 8th should be realistic target as West Ham will drop off a bit from playing europa and if we spend well again we should be competiting with likes of Everton.

We should still get 50 points minimum this season so with 2-3 good seasons would like to push on and aim for 60 points but that requires plenty to go right with recruitment and injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I mean next season, 7th or 8th should be realistic target as West Ham will drop off a bit from playing europa and if we spend well again we should be competiting with likes of Everton.

We should still get 50 points minimum this season so with 2-3 good seasons would like to push on and aim for 60 points but that requires plenty to go right with recruitment and injuries.

ah ok, sorry i must have mis-read!

• Like 1