The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

47 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Football doesnt work like that though does it. A team with better players will not automatically win a game of football. It was an opportinity for us whilst they seemed to be having dressing room problems to get a result. We didnt turn up at all, zero creativity. So fans critised the performance. 

While no excuse for us, I think Spurs felt the same about us.  Seeing our poor form lately, our star player out and our other two creative players, Barkley dropped and Traore out of form, they saw us as an easier win.  They rode our initial control because we had no creativity, score a goal from a mistake and then used their better players to finish out the game.

Fair to criticise our performance but some context around our creativity problems, they are still a quality team playing for 4th place and we didn’t create anything or take advantage early on.

So we did turn up, didn’t have the right instrument and then faded because of that after the first goal.  Until either Traore or Barkley turns it on, the only creativity we have for the rest of the season is Jack.  It’s hard to get on the other players backs for creativity when that is not what they can do.

We just have to hope Jack comes flying back and Traore gets out of his slump.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 13:32, nick76 said:

While no excuse for us, I think Spurs felt the same about us.  Seeing our poor form lately, our star player out and our other two creative players, Barkley dropped and Traore out of form, they saw us as an easier win.  They rode our initial control because we had no creativity, score a goal from a mistake and then used their better players to finish out the game.

A refereeing mistake, yes.

Two of the teams above us, which is the same amount we’ll have to overtake to have any chance of finishing in a European place, drew today, and we’ve still got to play those same two teams. Dare to dream again?

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

A refereeing mistake, yes.

Two of the teams above us, which is the same amount we’ll have to overtake to have any chance of finishing in a European place, drew today, and we’ve still got to play those same two teams. Dare to dream again?

I don’t want to even speculate anymore because the overreactions on here if we don’t achieve it will be immense if we dare to dream.  I want to fight to do as best we can and wherever that lands us then I’ll assess then.  I want to finish the season strong and if we do that I’m happy and I’ll take the league position leading from that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We can finish above Everton. Couple of lively front players but beyond that I really don't see them as better than us. Hopefully 4 points from the two games like last season.

Have to play them twice still.

Cazoo derby will be interesting.

Everton - 3 points ahead

Liverpool & Spurs - 5 point ahead but played a game more

Chelsea - 7 points ahead, played a game more

West Ham in 4th - 8 points ahead, played a game more.

It's still possible to finish anywhere between 4th and 12th for us.  Most likely 9-10th, but a little bit of form or Grealish coming back strongly and it's all possible.

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Everton - 3 points ahead

Liverpool & Spurs - 5 point ahead but played a game more

Chelsea - 7 points ahead, played a game more

West Ham in 4th - 8 points ahead, played a game more.

It's still possible to finish anywhere between 4th and 12th for us.  Most likely 9-10th, but a little bit of form or Grealish coming back strongly and it's all possible.

In theory yes.

Problem is our remaining fixture list is disastrous.

We have screwed up against the lesser sides.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In theory yes.

Problem is our remaining fixture list is disastrous.

We have screwed up against the lesser sides.

We've played well against the stronger sides this season so, yes, in theory.

I agree though that it's one helluva ask and think we'll end up around where we are currently.

Really looking forward to see how we do against Everton though.

On 04/04/2021 at 20:31, YLN said:

7 points behind 4th with a game in hand.

Why not? With Grealish to come back as well for the last nine games. Maybe

Why not? In our next 5 games we have to face:

Liverpool
Man City
Everton
Man United

Should be looking to beat the baggies but those 4 games aren't going to be easy.

It's very important to keep our feet on the ground not expect too much. 

Keep on expecting West Ham to drop but to be fair they are having an excellent season.

If we can finish above Arsenal and Everton that will be an fantastic achievement regardless if we get Europe or not. They have  over 140 years combined of consecutive yrs of top fight football without being relegated, this is year 2 for us.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Was thinking over the weekend what a bizarre story it would be for us to be the 7th team to beat Liverpool at home after scoring 7 against them earlier in the season. 

By scoring 7 again 😉

• Haha 2

It's great looking at the table now with three quarters of the season gone, to say that as a minimum we should expect to finish 11th.

Palace and Southampton both with tough run ins would need to have about 3 more wins than whatever we do, given goal difference too. 

• Like 1