The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Not too bothered about europe now, would like us to finish 8th though as it just looks better than 12th or 13th which would be hugely disappointing given what we've produced for 3/4 of the season.

Probably going to be 10th though which is alright I guess.

Finishing 12th or lower though would mean us picking up probably another 5-6 points all season given Wolves are currently in 13th and had a good run before last night yet they're still 6 points off (pretty much 7 with their GD) and they only have 9 more games to catch us.

People might not be that bothered on here but surely Wes and Nas won't be happy if we just chuck the end of season, we still have a couple of winnable games in there if we play well.

Edited by VillaChris

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno. To me it feels like we've played 65. **** covid bollocks. The last year has felt like a decade. 

Think all our losses this season has come with me watching. Might as well just toss my TV and we'll win the league.

I agree on the last year. A year since we were sent home from the office but feels like about 5 years ago. But football wise it just seems to be going quick to me!

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not too bothered about europe now, would like us to finish 8th though as it just looks better than 12th or 13th which would be hugely disappointing given what we've produced for 3/4 of the season.

Probably going to be 10th though which is alright I guess.

Finishing 12th or lower though would mean us picking up probably another 5-6 points all season given Wolves are currently in 13th and had a good run before last night yet they're still 6 points off (pretty much 7 with their GD) and they only have 9 more games to catch us.

People might not be that bothered on here but surely Wes and Nas won't be happy if we just chuck the end of season, we still have a couple of winnable games in there if we play well.

If we continue post covid form until the end of the season we’ll finish on around 53 points which was 11th last season.  However you’d like to think form may improve slightly with the  return of Jack and Cash so we may do a little better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we continue post covid form until the end of the season we’ll finish on around 53 points which was 11th last season.  However you’d like to think form may improve slightly with the  return of Jack and Cash so we may do a little better. 

53 points would get us comfortably top half imo, can't see any of Palace, Leeds, Wolves getting more than that.

55-60 points would still be a very good points haul as would only be marginally less than what we averaged in the four years under MON so very much on the right track.

Still realistic, basically 5 more wins and a draw or two.

It's not even getting to 50 points given the position we were in six weeks ago that might dent the owner's confidence in DS in the long run as it would mean a very poor last three months of the season not just in performances but points return.

Edited by VillaChris

On 16/03/2021 at 22:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve seen Palace a few times this season and I’m shocked they have as many points as they do. 

they've shithoused a couple of results. they deserved to lose vs brighton but scored their only 2 chances in the game to win

credit where it's due, palace (generally speaking) win the games they should be winning i.e. sheff utd, newcastle, baggies etc. they don't tend to drop many points vs the shit teams

yes winning the odd game vs the big sides is nice and all, but think about the points we've dropped against teams in the bottom half this season and where we could be if a couple of those draws were wins:

southampton (H) - 3

sheff utd (A) - 3

newcastle (A) - 2

brighton (A) - 2

burnley (A) - 3

burnley (H) - 2

yes you obviously get surprise results and will at least a few times have points taken off you by shit teams, but 15 points dropped from these games is too many with 11 games yet to play.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was a great opportunity to get europe but clearly the squad has recently shown we are not good enough for europe yet.

Top 10 finish is a very good season for us

i'd love a top half finish. i did dream of europe for a while but top half would certainly be an achievement.

bottom half would feel disappointing now. thinking back to games like the 7-2, i want that to have counted towards something, not just be seen as a freak result from a below average side, which is how it will be seen if we end up like 13th.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 22:04, Zatman said:

Palace have never got 50 points in the Premier League and have a rotten run in

That's good to know.

For those predicting us to finish 12th or 13th now though there must be some logic. Given we've had a poor recent run yet still comfortably 5-6 points ahead of Leeds and Wolves.

So to finish that low we either barely win a game for rest of the season or Wolves or Palace win something like 7 out of their last 9 games to get up to 50 + points.

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's good to know.

For those predicting us to finish 12th or 13th now though there must be some logic. Given we've had a poor recent run yet still comfortably 5-6 points ahead of Leeds and Wolves.

So to finish that low we either barely win a game for rest of the season or Wolves or Palace win something like 7 out of their last 9 games to get up to 50 + points.

It’s the fixtures. Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, West Brom, Everton, Man Utd, Palace, Spurs, Chelsea + Everton not scheduled.

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

It’s the fixtures. Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, West Brom, Everton, Man Utd, Palace, Spurs, Chelsea + Everton not scheduled.

Leeds are facing most of those in the run in aswell.

We can beat all of Palace, West Brom and Fulham if we play properly and have Jack back. Fulham a few weeks back was looking a very tough fixture but they still don't score that much and thought they were poor last night.

3 wins from that gets us to 50 points and then you look back to last season and see we got 4 points off Everton and it's not like they're that much better than us this season and they throw in random defeats every other defeat like we do. Chelsea on final day aswell will likely be a dead match for them aswell if they've already secured top 4.

It's been a poor few weeks for us but I'm uncomfortable with just writing the season off now we've got to 40 points and just accepting an 11th or 12th finish. It's not the mentality we need going forward, indeed SJM on football focus just now is disappointed we're not higher in the league so feeling in dressing room is perhaps we've underachieved a little bit.

Win tomorrow and the whole narrative for final 10 games will change on here and 55 + points becomes very realistic again which will conform top 10 placing.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Leeds are facing most of those in the run in aswell.

We can beat all of Palace, West Brom and Fulham if we play properly and have Jack back. Fulham a few weeks back was looking a very tough fixture but they still don't score that much and thought they were poor last night.

3 wins from that gets us to 50 points and then you look back to last season and see we got 4 points off Everton and it's not like they're that much better than us this season and they throw in random defeats every other defeat like we do. Chelsea on final day aswell will likely be a dead match for them aswell if they've already secured top 4.

It's been a poor few weeks for us but I'm uncomfortable with just writing the season off now we've got to 40 points and just accepting an 11th or 12th finish. It's not the mentality we need going forward, indeed SJM on football focus just now is disappointed we're not higher in the league so feeling in dressing room is perhaps we've underachieved a little bit.

Win tomorrow and the whole narrative for final 10 games will change on here and 55 + points becomes very realistic again which will conform top 10 placing.

I agree, just it’s an understandable train of thought! On paper it is possible we get next to nothing regardless of how well we play with a little misfortune.