The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Bumping this because it’s become a real problem. It’s our weakest area of the pitch and we need to change things. 

At the very least, Barkley needs to be dropped.

Next game id play Luiz, McGinn and Sanson. If Smiths feeling really brave, Ramsey in for McGinn too. 

A defensive midfielder like Bissouma is an absolute must in the Summer. 

ye it is our weakest area currently, completely agree that Barkley needs to be dropped.....Barkley is so damn lazy its infuriating.

i prob agree with Luiz, McGinn & Sanson, or possibly Ramsey in there?

Honestly, if Barkley starts next game i can assume one of 3 things......1) Barkley has a "must play if fit" clause in his contract, 2) Barkley has naked pics of Deano and is threatening to use them, or 3) Deano is blind.

In DS mind McGinn and Barkley are as undroppable for us as Mings and Grealish.

Unless they get injured they'll start pretty much every prem game for us.

Think Doug is only one in danger of losing his place next weekend given he didn't start v Arsenal but perhaps we might tweak our shape and perhaps take Traore out instead.

• Like 1

I think Barkley has been pretty **** shite most of the time, but our midfield in general have beem very good this season. They might just be leggy.

Possibly no more dtamatic than Deano needs to rotate more.

As for Barkley I'm just worried Deano will act like the classic stubborn manager who refuses to give up on something he thought was right.

I think a mix of the Covid break and injuries (Barkley) has affected some players who were previously performing well.

I wouldn’t write off Barkley or McGinn just yet. But I’d like to see Sanson given more time. I thought we had a bit more presence in the middle when he came on. He looks to have a great engine on him, and we could do with fresh legs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think a mix of the Covid break and injuries (Barkley) has affected some players who were previously performing well.

I wouldn’t write off Barkley or McGinn just yet. But I’d like to see Sanson given more time. I thought we had a bit more presence in the middle when he came on. He looks to have a great engine on him, and we could do with fresh legs.

So you reckon he's been performing well for us?

On 06/02/2021 at 20:45, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t know about you, but I feel this is a problem area for us at the moment and one that seems to have developed more as the season has gone on. I thought Luiz and McGinn started the season pretty well but both have tailed off in my opinion. 

One thing I’ve noticed in the last few matches is how easily teams are playing through us. I watched Barkley closely against West Ham and Arsenal and he literally jogs around, not tracking men and marking space. Could this be the reason it looks so unbalanced at the moment? Is Ross under instruction not to track back. 

I can’t quite put my finger on it but that area of the pitch seems a problem for us and I’m not sure who our best three are to start matches. 

Persoanlly, I’d like us to go with Luiz, McGinn and Sanson/Ramsey next match as I don’t think Barkley is up to it nor do I think he deserves a start. He seems to make us worse as a unit in there. 

Don’t really want to turn this into a Barkley criticism thread but interested to see what everyone thinks. 

We have a thread for Summer speculation but I’d put a big, strong defensive midfielder at the very top of the list. 

UTV.

Haven’t been on VT for a while but said exactly this to some friends during tonights game. Clearly the emphasis on an attacking midfield and breaking football has worked quite a few times this season but arguably we have been found out now. Over several games Barkley has been a passenger (I know he scored but that was it) who when involved invariably complicates things - I am not sure what he adds. Targett and Grealish have a good understanding, when Barkley gets involves he overplays and almost slows Grealish up.. For a guy who is known to be skillful on the ball, at times his short passing and speed on the ball is terrible. As the OP suggests, I agree it is time to try three in middle, maybe pushing SJM more forward, with Luiz and Sansom.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Clearly our weak point, Luiz was ok but other 2 were anonymous until Barkley went off and McGinn got into the game

They both improved slightly when Barkley went off.

Sadly I think he is starting to hamper our cause rather than benefit it.

The midfield selection definately needs a few changes to it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We have no idea what impact this has had.

I know a few people who have had it mildly and all say they felt fatigue, heavy head, aching all over, drained.

If enough of our better players that make this machine tick have been affected,  then whats playing out now fits.

If all true, add 6 games in 18 days on top of this and it looks like our lads are doing brilliant.

No idea how we solve our midfield three. 

There are four options, Sanson, Ramsey, McGinn or Jack in at 10. 

I think Jack is struggling a little bit out left and Barkley is obviously not playing well at 10 nor is McGinn playing well. 

I'd like to see Jack move to 10 and Trez or El Ghazi come in on the left. Then play Sanson for McGinn or

Move McGinn to 10 and play Sanson with Luiz. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We have no idea what impact this has had.

I know a few people who have had it mildly and all say they felt fatigue, heavy head, aching all over, drained.

If enough of our better players that make this machine tick have been affected,  then whats playing out now fits.

If all true, add 6 games in 18 days on top of this and it looks like our lads are doing brilliant.

I had what they class as mild symptoms.I am a regular runner doing half marathons. Two months later i can't even walk quickly without being out of breath so it can do a number on people. I am not comparing my fitness levels to a professional footballer but it could still do it them too

• Like 3

Â