The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I really don't know what the best combination is anymore, I think you could throw a blanket over all of them. We played good football early season and pre-covid break but something has changed and we have become too one dimensional. 

The thing is that there's no such thing as a 'best combination' - it's entirely relative to who we're playing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The thing is that there's no such thing as a 'best combination' - it's entirely relative to who we're playing

I don't go along with that. Luiz and McgInn on form are easily our best two midfielders but neither have or are playing well. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't go along with that. Luiz and McgInn on form are easily our best two midfielders but neither have or are playing well. 

I agree, with the slight caveat that at times Nakamba's defensive attributes can be more valuable than what Luiz or McGinn have to offer so he gets the nod over one of them. Tonight clearly wasn't the case. 

1 minute ago, WooJung said:

I agree, with the slight caveat that at times Nakamba's defensive attributes can be more valuable than what Luiz or McGinn have to offer so he gets the nod over one of them. Tonight clearly wasn't the case. 

Yes its strange to me that Luiz is not getting a look in. Would expect him to start against Wolves but hoping Grealish is back so he can play am role. 

• Like 1

This is obviously our issue at the moment but not sure what solution is. I think McGinn needs a break, he might work next 2 or 3 games as an impact sub

but the balance here is so off. Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson and Ramsey we can surely make a midfield out of them 3 thats capable of performing vs Newcastle

I dont know that first half the midfield were brilliant and passed it around better than weve seen for a long long time. We should have been 2 goals up at least and then its a different game. The midfield should stay the same. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I dont know that first half the midfield were brilliant and passed it around better than weve seen for a long long time. We should have been 2 goals up at least and then its a different game. The midfield should stay the same. 

Totally agree with this. It should stay the same for a few games now hopefully. The game changed when Sanson picked up a bit of a knock. Up until then we bossed the centre of the park for the first time in weeks.

• Like 1

The first half yesterday was the first time in a long time where our midfield three looked more balanced and the opposition didn’t play through us.

Sanson, McGinn and Luiz should start together against Newcastle. 

• Like 3

I think the trio that played against Wolves are the right three - McGinn/Sanson/Luiz - there's energy, creativity, running and the flexibility to cover a number of positions in that group; I like it.

I'd pick those three for the foreseeable future - it's perhaps a little harsh on Nakamba who might come in on specific occasions where we need someone to nullify an opposition, but I think it's easily our best blend.

You can take your pick between Ramsey and Barkley for the progressive back up option, but I think they're both a distance away from any of the three starters.

• Like 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think the trio that played against Wolves are the right three - McGinn/Sanson/Luiz - there's energy, creativity, running and the flexibility to cover a number of positions in that group; I like it.

I'd pick those three for the foreseeable future - it's perhaps a little harsh on Nakamba who might come in on specific occasions where we need someone to nullify an opposition, but I think it's easily our best blend.

You can take your pick between Ramsey and Barkley for the progressive back up option, but I think they're both a distance away from any of the three starters.

Agreed. I think Sanson and Jack would work really well together once he’s back too.

• Like 1

Between McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Ramsey and Sanson we have scored a total of 1 goal this season. There lies a major problem for us. Hourihane would have scored more than that alone. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Between McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Ramsey and Sanson we have scored a total of 1 goal this season. There lies a major problem for us. Hourihane would have scored more than that alone. 

In fairness I don't think Jack scored when he played central either. Hard to blame Sanson and Ramsey they have hardly made any starts and Nakamba well I only want him taking shots if we are 3 nil up 😂

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

I mainly blame Sanson for that. Feels like he's not been totally present at Villa for most of the season.

• Haha 1

Right, so I've been giving a bit of thought to this today and I think the problem lies, at the moment, with McGinn. 

Forgive me for using FIFA parlance to explain what I think's needed for the midfield three, but it can be illustrated with the work rates that are used in the game - High, Medium, and Low for Attacking and Defending. For me, an ideal middle three has the following work-rates:

LCM - High/High - CM - Medium/High - RCM - High/High

So when we're defending, our CM functions as a CDM, much like Douglas Luiz. He's just in front of the back 4 when we're defending, looking to intercept or pressure the opposition. The other two CMs should be back too, but for me they should be looking to help out the full-backs to prevent the opposition from doubling up or generally just working hard in our half to get the ball back or provide an option.

In attack, the LCM and RCM should be looking to get forward and help us play through the middle. Right now, we're wayyyyy too dependent on wing play and don't play through the middle nearly enough. Sanson, I feel, has the skill/ability to support the attack and as we saw with one of the chances to finish up the Newcastle game, he was there and ready for the ball when Barkley chose to pass to Watkins instead. It's also helpful if these players can shoot from range, because again, we're not threatening enough from about 20 yards, and particularly McGinn has fallen off a cliff when it comes to being a goal threat. 

In terms of the players who we have available, Sanson and Luiz, for me are the nailed on starters as they can both do what they need to do. The third place is currently an issue. 

We have:

McGinn, Nakamba, Ramsey and Barkley available.

Nakamba can play in the CM role, though he's more Low/High, because he reads the game well and is defensively sound. With decent supporting players around him to offer him an easy pass, he should be able to slot in. 

McGinn for me is a Medium/Medium, more of a traditional CM. He's not a goal threat at all anymore, sadly. He just doesn't get in attacking positions where he'll be an option on the break, run into the box enough, or really try shots from range. His passing is also a little strange - he can play some excellent long range passes forward, but then he'll mess up easier short ones. For dribbling, again, it's totally inconsistent - sometimes he'll go on a bit of a mazy run, other times his control seems sloppy. Another issue for me is his mobility. He's not like the player we first signed - who would bust a gut and hassle the opposition into mistakes, he almost never does that now. 

Ramsey is a bit of a wildcard - I think he's a High/Medium, but as he's finding his feet, it's a little hard to tell. From an attacking perspective, I think he can basically do everything McGinn does but better. He seems quicker, better technically, more of a passing range etc. The defensive side of things look a little weaker, as he's not as robust as McGinn and I don't think defending his really part of his game. 

Barkley is clearly a High/Low. He's the best attacking option we have from midfield but he plays as a CAM and we're all aware that his lack of defensive inclination unbalances the team and creates problems for the other two midfielders. It would be interesting to see if he could play with Luiz and Nakamba (or even Sanson) in a midfield three - as you could have 2 defensively minded players to cover, as he gets more license to stay up and be ready for the counter. 

As thing stand, I'd probably go with Sanson - Luiz - Ramsey as our best current option.

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

To be fair we have played most of the season with a 4231, with Luiz and McGinn playing the "holding roles", on top of that they arent exactly 6ft 3 so able to have a good chance to get on the end of free kicks, corners etc.

Sanson has played about 2 total games, Ramsey has played about 3 total games, the one player who has really played the "forward" midfield role is Barkley, who has scored 3 goals, but has missed pretty much half the season through injury.

However, our forward line has scored 27 goals in the PL this year, with our/my first choice from three of Grealish, Watkins, Traore scoring 21 goals (Grealish 6, Watkins 10, Traore 5, El Ghazi 6), thats a marked improvement on last year, especially considering we have 11 games to go.

Putting your midfield goal issue in balance though, i do agree our midfield should score more, but i think thats partially due to how we are set up, for me if anything the major issue is the imbalance of the midfield 3 of which your point is a factor of the overall issue, rather than the "issue itself", i think once we fix the midfield balance (possibly in the summer), the issue will fix itself.

Grealish ---------- Watkins ------------ Traore

---------------------- McGinn ---- Sanson ----------------------

-------------------------- Nakamba --------------------------

Targett ------- Mings ------- Konsa ---------- Cash

----------------------- Martinez

whoops edited, guess it's the above then.

Edited by VillanousOne

32 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

El-Ghazi ----------- Watkins ------------ Traore

-------------------------- Grealish

---------------------- McGinn ---- Sanson ----------------------

-------------------------- Nakamba --------------------------

Targett ------- Mings ------- Konsa ---------- Cash

----------------------- Martinez

I would play that midfield against Spurs, I think we need Nakamba due to Spurs attacking threat otherwise i would think Sanson, Luiz and McGinn is our strongest midfield. I know there is an argument over whether Grealish is better centrally or wide, and he is prob better on the left, but otherwise the option is starting Barkley and not sure he deserves to start would prefer Traore to go central if that was the case.

If Traore has broken a rib and misses the game then I presume Trez would start.

Trying to sneak an extra player in again?

• Like 2

Â